Gaslow filler point, in or out? (1 Viewer)

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Had some difficulty in Spain particularly BP stations. Point blank refusal once they see the locker door open. Out they come and rant off even if you tell them all EU approved and show them the markings on the bottles. When filling in the UK, and going to pay i mentioned Cylinder instead of Tank... cashier said " you only filled a little bit " I said small cylinder... bloke started the Spanish inquisition with me and went apoplectic! I have only filled them 3 times since new in 3 months, nothing but hassle.

I will move mine to the outside as its made me paranoid filling up!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Apart from the local MH dealer & an Opel dealer in Totana Nowhere I have ever filled in Spain has had an assistant to do it. Even at garages with attended service they stick to the pumps. Mind you most have been Repsol if that made a difference.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Spanish BP ones are most likely where you may have a problem, but not very often, on the occasion when we were refused at one the chap could clearly see we had 'domestic' bottles as we had to open the locker, if it had been an external filler he probably wouldn't have known.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I had the kiosk lady come and look at my bottle last year in France, even though I have an external fill point, she just looked and she was happy and let me fill up.(y)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Having read the posts on here about possible problems with some fuel stations if the filler point is inside, we wanted to have an external point but it wasn't viable so it is now inside the locker. Hopefully any problems will be rare as refillable bottles are becoming more common now. On the plus side the filler point is behind a locked door whereas a Gaslow external point does not have a locking cap. Don't know if any are suitably sized locking caps available or if this is really an issue for anyone but thought I would mention it just in case it helps anyone.
why would you need to lock it there's a non return on the bottles and tanks so no way it can be stolen other than whats in the pipe

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
This is mine, never heard of this puddling thing though, new one to me , mines uphill , no probs I can see, as you will see , still got one calor bottle in as well so if I can't find one , maybe find the other:thumb::thumb:
Obviously not on it's side:Doh::Doh:
You shouldn't store them sideways you know:D2:D2

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Had some difficulty in Spain particularly BP stations. Point blank refusal once they see the locker door open. Out they come and rant off even if you tell them all EU approved and show them the markings on the bottles. When filling in the UK, and going to pay i mentioned Cylinder instead of Tank... cashier said " you only filled a little bit " I said small cylinder... bloke started the Spanish inquisition with me and went apoplectic! I have only filled them 3 times since new in 3 months, nothing but hassle.

I will move mine to the outside as its made me paranoid filling up!
Exactjy the opposite had ours 3 years never a problem. As its easy to add the external filler why not go in the locker first and add an external filler later if needed?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Exactjy the opposite had ours 3 years never a problem. As its easy to add the external filler why not go in the locker first and add an external filler later if needed?
Not worth the risk, if you get refused and you are low on gas and there is not another outlet in the area you are stuffed.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
WP_20180115_14_36_57_Pro.jpg

This is mine. All the plumbing is inside the gas locker as the door is a bit narrower than the gas locker. The sign is for the benefit of anyone who wants to bring up what the gas is for.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Same as us. Had ours over 6 years and no problems in uk, France, Italy, Switzerland, Belgium or Luxembourg.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Not worth the risk, if you get refused and you are low on gas and there is not another outlet in the area you are stuffed.
depends we have diesel heating and refill at 1/3 (4 days ) still left so if refused no hassle!!! (and no chance of being stuffed)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
For those with an inside filler who've never had a problem that's great but the issue is that you never know if you will be stopped the next time ...

You can be refused and if that is the only place you can get it for a while it could mean you either having to move-one earlier than intended to ensure you have enough gas to last you out or risk running out.

We had our filler in the locker for yonks but the last couple of years we've experience refusals or 'questions' hence my decision to move it to the outside.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
IMG_20180208_152809_963.JPG
IMG_20180208_152650_815.JPG

70mm hole though and into the gas locker.
Tested then filled yesterday at Trago Mills ,Newton Abbot branch.@ £0.59.9L
Cashier /attendant didn't even bother to come out from the warmth inside .
Could have filled my other standby bottle as well. Maybe next time :D

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Always used the small filler mounted in the the skirt, easy to fit a grommet in the hole if you swap it to the next van. I think it's a bit risky in the body with the weight of those filler hoses.

upload_2018-2-10_12-16-51.jpeg

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
All down to personal choice whether you want to drill another hole in van certainly a lot of fittings drilled in already or put in locker and hope you dont get refused especially if on continent.

Worst case scenario you just buy a bottle and regulator on continent and exchange it when it needs filling

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
My filler is inside the locker and I have never had a problem with refusal. It wouldn't be a big deal if I was refused as I always refill as soon as one bottle is empty and as I have two I always have one on reserve.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
All down to personal choice whether you want to drill another hole in van certainly a lot of fittings drilled in already or put in locker and hope you dont get refused especially if on continent.

Worst case scenario you just buy a bottle and regulator on continent and exchange it when it needs filling
So long as you have somewhere to put the empty one to carry it safely, not everyone can do this but if they can then it is an option.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back