Gaslow filler point, in or out? (1 Viewer)

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
really dont know where this idea comes from.

as there is no one way valve on the bottle the filler hose is full of liquid propane during and after filling.....the one way valve is in the filler neck.

as the bottle empties, the liquid gas within the filler hose will vaporise if the filler is below the bottle.

Exactly :thumb:

Puddling? The whole line is full of liquid until it gets the chance to expand. :RollEyes:

As for shutting off the valve when filling, I do it but I don't know why. Perhaps it's to ensure you not using anything gas while filling up. I can't see how any liquid would get into the low pressure side.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Have to say, once (2010? 11?) at a Shell garage on a French motorway we did have a chap come out and go berserk at us, just as Pete had finished filling. He said we couldn't do it because the van would explode. We said we wouldn't. He did a passable impression of Basil Fawlty avin a tantrum. We'd also filled with diesel so when we went in to pay Pete said presumably he wouldn't want paying for the gas then, as we weren't supposed to have it? Surprisingly, they did want payment.

I thought it was only me that happened to, and it was a fixed tank on an RV .. not a refillable bottle..

same story, French Auto-route, but I never got as far as filling..

Attendant came out and asked if it was for cooking or engine and I gestured that it was cooking gas.. that was that.. he wouldn't let me fill up.. said it wasn't the 'right ' gas for cooking.. went back to his office and wouldn't turn the gas pump on.. :RollEyes:

They attendant obviously saw me lifting the belly locker door and came to investigate. So I would advise outside.. one less thing to worry about.

Last edited:

Inthezone

Free Member
Feb 14, 2014
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Filling Point

Hi I put mine in the small skirt next to the gas locker and below the fuel filler it looks neat and if i take off the system if i sell the van I will just leave the filling point in the skirt, its also below the main floor so if there were any issues then gas would not enter the cab or hab areas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Ours is fitted in the door.
Had problems with the hose as they fitted the wrong filler point should have been bent not straight.
Had to have a gas man in Portugal make us a new hose to fit as the other one developed a leak where the straight part went into the door filler from behind.
Big worry at the gas station as pools of gas escaped under the locker through the mesh vents.
Many Thanks to scotjimland for warning us.
Going to get the correct one when back in England.
This one works well for now.
Will leave the filter point in the door when sold.
Saved having to drill the body work.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
When I had an underslung tank fitted they recomended fitting the filler in the floor of the gas locker, I just have to ensure its empty when I fill up which is not very often. paid 62p ltr last week

Microchip

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
I've bee refused twice in France because I had to open the locker door, so now filler point is in the skirt below the locker. :thumb:

Keith

Biged

Free Member
Sep 21, 2012
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
No longer looking
Exp
If you are fitting it yourself go with Gaslow, if you are having it fitted by someone else then Gasit. There is little difference between price contrary to what people say certainly not ''a fraction of the cost''
Check out Hamiltons for Gaslow prices, Gasit for theirs.
I was a gas fitter in my previous life so fitted my own (Gasit system) If i was doing it again i would probably go Gaslow. The bottles are identical, made at the same factory, just a different colour. It's the fitting kit that varies slightly and thats what could cause problems. :thumb:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Ours is fitted in the door.
Had problems with the hose as they fitted the wrong filler point [HI]should have been bent not straight.[/HI]
Had to have a gas man in Portugal make us a new hose to fit as the other one developed a leak where the straight part went into the door filler from behind.
Big worry at the gas station as pools of gas escaped under the locker through the mesh vents.
Many Thanks to scotjimland for warning us.
Going to get the correct one when back in England.
This one works well for now.
Will leave the filter point in the door when sold.
Saved having to drill the body work.

That's a schoolboy error. Its the one thing Gaslow make a big fuss about :Blush:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Hi I put mine in the small skirt next to the gas locker and below the fuel filler it looks neat and if i take off the system if i sell the van I will just leave the filling point in the skirt, its also below the main floor so if there were any issues then gas would not enter the cab or hab areas.

That is a very neat installation - gold star! :thumb:

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I had mine fitted as part of a sales deal, it is fitted on the outside. An earlier Gaslow was fitted inside the locker, this never caused me any problems in Europe or at home, except the physical connection to fill is so much easier on my external fitting. Some of the BP hoses have a large blow-back shield which could get in the way before.

Alan

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
If you can make it fit, get a single 11kg Gasit bottle with an in locker filler, much cheaper than two 6kg ones (and leaves space in your locker for other stuff - make sure you do NOT block them with anything else you keep in there!!!). An in-locker fill point is easier to install than an external point (which can get mucky if you have to put it under your MH) and doesn't leave a trace on the outside when you remove the system to put in your next MH. I don't worry about any 'leakage' in the locker as it would be open anyway when filling and it has gas drop-out vents anyway (as I said earlier do NOT block them!).

It is no more difficult to attach the pipes etc than if you were putting in a new hose and/or connecting up a standard Calor bottle, the bracket that the filler is fixed to is the only mildly 'difficult' part as you have to drill holes for the bolts to secure it in the locker so might have to be a bit of a contortionist to do it ... other than that its easy-peasy.

We've had an 11kg Gaslow bottle now since 2009 (Gasit didn't exist then) and have used it in the UK and extensively abroad and have NEVER been refused permission to fill it up, we have sometimes had an assistant do it for us as part of the service they offer!
a bit of a thread revival.
I'm looking at getting a single 11kg refillable bottle for my Globecar PVC. the question is should I place the filling point inside the gas locker or go for an external filler.
I've heard stories on here people with internal fillers having occasional problems. as it us a PVC, to use an internal filler point I would have to open the back doors and the gas locker an internal
the internal filler would be simpler to install and doesn't involve drilling a 70mm hole in the side panel of my new van, but is less convenient, possibly more difficult to get a filling hose into and could result in refusal at some service stations.

so, in all honesty, should I go for an internal filler or an external filler?

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
And for those who DIY install a refillable system, should you / need to get the installation checked by a certified person before filling?

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
@gerry mcg
This recent thread might be helpful
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/lpg-filler-point.145366/

With regard to getting it checked after install I took the attitude that I didn't get it checked every time I changed the calor cylinder and it's only a couple of extra threaded connections.

On the outlet side a gas detector spray/pen will show any leaks. On the inlet side on the first fill if there are any leaks the gas supply will slow down once the cylinder is full but then won't switch off automatically. I could see which joint had the leak on mine as it's an in locker fill and the leaky joint frosted over.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'd go for the smaller external filler like the one I'm about to fit to my PVC (see the other thread mentioned above) - below are some of the reasons for making the change from my current in locker filler to an outside one:
  • it won't cause problems when filling if you get one of the 'guns' with large flat safety shields on which prevents it getting close enough to lock on
  • it is less likely to get knocked when rummaging around in the gas locker
  • you don't have to keep the rear doors open in order to fill which can be a pain if its raining or cold
  • it will make filling it much quicker and less obvious that its for domestic use
  • if there is a problem with the filler letting gas escape (it can happen but rarely) it will be in the open and disperse rather than it going into the open camper
  • after filling when you release the gun the small amount of gas that comes out of the nozzle can go in the camper which stinks
  • it can sometimes be awkward to get the van in the right position for the gun to reach right into the locker (looped under the rear door first) which won't be a problem with the outside one
I only put the filler inside originally as that's where I'd had it on all previous vehicles and when I bought the kit in 2009 the large round filler was all that was available, if I was buying now for the first time, whether for a coachbuilt or van conversion, I'd definitely go for the smaller external one. It will be a little bit more fiddly to fit the external filler than the internal one but not massively so as I had to put a block in for my inside one anyway to lift it away from the edges of the locker to give sufficient clearance for the gun to lock on.

If you want details of the cheapest place to get the bits let me know.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
For the bottles Sail and Trail are cheapest even though they are Gasit ones they are cheaper than buying direct from Gasit, eg:

11kg no 1 bottle including P+P: Sail & Trail: £146.94 (Gasit £153.14)

upload_2017-1-18_16-38-19.png

External square flat filler with cover plus short bayonet
(extra £2.10 for the longer bayonet) inc P+P: LPG Shop: £24.58
upload_2017-1-18_16-32-52.png
plus
upload_2017-1-18_16-33-3.png
OR
upload_2017-1-18_16-36-16.png

Hoses: It depends what length you want and what type ie the high pressure fast fill rubber type hoses or stainless steel braided ones, but you'll need a hose from the filler to the bottle and one from the bottle to the regulator:
  • 1.5m Gas-it JIC Fast Fill hose from filler to bottle (other lengths available): £28.75
upload_2017-1-18_17-9-2.png

• 0.5m Pigtail 21.8LH bottle to w20 regulator (other lengths): £8.56
upload_2017-1-18_17-7-21.png

Other fittings ... depends on which you want ... Euro, Spanish etc.

I'll add more info later ...

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If the internal fill would mean having rear door open, I would go for an external fill point using the small type fill point. The internal fill could give you a strong smell of gas after filling.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016

External square flat filler with cover plus short bayonet
(extra £2.10 for the longer bayonet) inc P+P: LPG Shop: £24.58
View attachment 143578 plusView attachment 143579OR View attachment 143580

Hoses: It depends what length you want and what type ie the high pressure fast fill rubber type hoses or stainless steel braided ones, but you'll need a hose from the filler to the bottle and one from the bottle to the regulator:
  • 1.5m Gas-it JIC Fast Fill hose from filler to bottle (other lengths available): £28.75
View attachment 143585
  • 0.5m Pigtail 21.8LH bottle to w20 regulator (other lengths): £8.56
View attachment 143584
Thanks @Minxy Girl , that is super!(y)
I've got a couple of further questions, so I apologise!
Filler point
I want to confirm the filler point is the W21.6-JIC 3/4 UNC one http://www.lpgshop.co.uk/w21-8-to-jic-3-4-unc-plate-lpg-filling-point-90deg/ rather than the W21.8 to 8mm one.

Filler point adaptor
For the UK, which adaptor do I need? is it this one? http://www.lpgshop.co.uk/uk-w21-8-to-uk-bayonet-w21-8-filling-point-adapter/ there seems to be a bewildering assortment of sizes http://www.lpgshop.co.uk/lpg-filling-point-adapters/

filler hose
I guess a 1.5m filler hose will be sufficient. I'll check before ordering. are the fittings on the gas hose JIC at both ends, I.e at the filler and the bottle?
are there any benefits from going for a braided filler hose rather than rubber? I've read about regulator oiling issues possibly linked to rubber hosed, and that rubber hosed need replacing more frequently, albeit this might be more relevant on the pigtail side?
I don't see a braided filler hose option on the gas it site tho.

pigtail
I guess the gas bottle outlet is the 21.8 LH thread and the regulator is the W20 thread. I'll probably go for a stainless steel braided line rather than rubber to prevent oiling and for durability.. I need a Bulkhead regulator as I currently have a bottle top one. The Cleese regulators seem to get a good review - this one from GasLow already has the stainless steel hose attached - Broken Link Removed

Edit...
oh... as I need to fit a regulator to the system, I take it it is an 8mm gas pipe with an olive type arrangement. does this (and the HP side) gas threads and connections neat PTFE tape or sealant compound to make it properly gastight or are the O-rings sufficient?

Thanks

Gerry

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thanks @Minxy Girl , that is super!(y)
I've got a couple of further questions, so I apologise!
Filler point
I want to confirm the filler point is the W21.6-JIC 3/4 UNC one http://www.lpgshop.co.uk/w21-8-to-jic-3-4-unc-plate-lpg-filling-point-90deg/ rather than the W21.8 to 8mm one.
Yes, the one in the link is correct, the 8mm one is meant for fitting to copper pipe.
Filler point adaptor
For the UK, which adaptor do I need? is it this one?
http://www.lpgshop.co.uk/uk-w21-8-to-uk-bayonet-w21-8-filling-point-adapter/ there seems to be a bewildering assortment of sizes http://www.lpgshop.co.uk/lpg-filling-point-adapters/
There are 2 lengths - long and short - the short will be okay unless you have something near the filler to prevent the gun getting close enough to lock on, I've just got the short one:
http://www.lpgshop.co.uk/uk-w21-8-to-uk-bayonet-w21-8-filling-point-adapter/
http://www.lpgshop.co.uk/w21-8-to-uk-bayonet-short-lpg-filling-point-adapter/
filler hose
I guess a 1.5m filler hose will be sufficient. I'll check before ordering.
I'm not familiar with your locker location in relation to where the bottle top will sit or where the filler will be but I would have thought 1.5 will be sufficient ... best to work out the route from the filler to the top of the bottle allowing for bends, use some rope or a bit of hose pipe as this will act more like a gas hose.
are the fittings on the gas hose JIC at both ends, I.e at the filler and the bottle?
Yes, various lengths available with a straight or angled connection
http://www.lpgshop.co.uk/jic-lpg-hoses/
are there any benefits from going for a braided filler hose rather than rubber? I've read about regulator oiling issues possibly linked to rubber hosed, and that rubber hosed need replacing more frequently, albeit this might be more relevant on the pigtail side?
I don't see a braided filler hose option on the gas it site tho.
I guess the gas bottle outlet is the 21.8 LH thread and the regulator is the W20 thread. I'll probably go for a stainless steel braided line rather than rubber to prevent oiling and for durability..
Gasit do the thicker rubber hoses for refillable systems (not the same as the thinner hoses used for BBQs, camping stoves etc) and also a S/S one too which I've just found by accident on their site, Gaslow do both too (that's the rest of the info I was gonna post in my earlier response but didn't get done).

The thick rubber ones have an approved life of 10 years I believe, the S/S ones are 20 years but there is quite a price difference though, eg the hose that goes from bottle to reg is £8.56 for rubber one from Gasit but Gaslow charge £34.50 for S/S one, Gasit S/S one below but a bit dearer:

I think you can only buy the Gaslow S/S hose with the large filler so it would be an expensive option as you'd be left with a filler you didn't want, so I'd just go for the thick Gasit hose for the filler, as for the reg one, that's your call but the oiling reported was more in relation to the thin BBQ type rubber hoses rather than the thicker Gasit ones.
pigtail
I need a Bulkhead regulator as I currently have a bottle top one.
The Cleese regulators seem to get a good review - this one from GasLow already has the stainless steel hose attached - Broken Link Removed
If you don't want the adaptor you can buy the hose and reg separately for £71.00 although there are places to get regs even cheaper than that depending on which you want, Ebay for example:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...regulator.TRS0&_nkw=clesse+regulator&_sacat=0
oh... as I need to fit a regulator to the system, I take it it is an 8mm gas pipe with an olive type arrangement. does this (and the HP side) gas threads and connections neat PTFE tape or sealant compound to make it properly gastight or are the O-rings sufficient?
They come in 8mm and 10mm sizes so double check which you need for your copper pipe - I can't get at mine to see which I needed. I've never used tape or anything else other than the parts supplied when fitting, also you need to be aware that the tape isn't the same as PTFE used for water pipes anyway.

I think I've answered everything ... it takes ages to reply one-finger typing!:D

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Ours is still inside the gas locker, last refill was the other week at Corley Services as were went on a rally without EHU and we'll probably refill there again before the next one in February.

There's no pong of gas inside the van at all - I assure you! (well - unless I don't press the ignition button when putting the kettle on - but that would be stupid!)

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Gas it 11kg with pipe,filler for van sill and adaptor to allow using standard bottle in emergency
Avon auto gas 175 delivered

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Fitted mine inside, no problems as yet and I wasn't about to dig any holes in the side of my van.
IMG_1087.JPG

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Ours is still inside the gas locker, last refill was the other week at Corley Services as were went on a rally without EHU and we'll probably refill there again before the next one in February.

There's no pong of gas inside the van at all - I assure you! (well - unless I don't press the ignition button when putting the kettle on - but that would be stupid!)
But you have a coachbuilt haven't you? I wouldn't expect gas to get inside in that situation. With a PVC it is usual to have to open the rear doors to get at the gas locker to use the inside filler so gas does get inside ... I can definitely tell you this for sure ... and a little bit lasts a long time! :rolleyes:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
or i could go for an underslung tank and free up interior space.....
Yes, Gaslit do some easy fit tanks now so you could consider them but it will add to the overall cost and won't be so easy to install but still doable as DIY. If the extra locker space is desirable worth considering.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Gas it 11kg with pipe,filler for van sill and adaptor to allow using standard bottle in emergency
Avon auto gas 175 delivered
On the Avon website it is £170:
http://www.avonautogas.co.uk/avon-autogas-2/about-avon-autogas/latest-news/
There's also a redirect to the Getgas website for £175:
http://www.getgas.co.uk/6kg-refillable-gas-bottle-with-level-/-contents-gauge-p62-p63-p65.html

The only problem is that its not the type of filler that Gerry wants to use and if it was going to be mounted internally a bracket to hold the filler would be needed too, but may meet some people's needs.

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
I think if you ring them there is a option of the inside locker bracket, however not that difficult to
make.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back