Gaslow filler point, in or out?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by The truck, Apr 6, 2014.

1. The truck

The truck Read Only Funster

Having researched installing a gaslow system, the next question is where to fit the filler point. Gaslow point out that if you need to open the gas locker door to fill the system you may be refused especially in France. It's clearly less destructive to the bodywork of the motorhome but I wonder if this will be a measure that proves to make it less practical. What is the experience of filling these systems where the filler point is within the gas locker? Thanks for your help.

2. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Have the filler point put into the lower cill if possible ..... this will rule out any possible damp problems.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JJ

JJ Funster

IMO definitely OUT...

And make sure it is fitted to a sturdy bit of bodywork as the LPG gun and hose pipe can be heavy bits of kit.

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 2
  4. chaser

chaser Funster

It is up to you , but whatever you decide , have a look at gasit before you buy , lot cheaper for identical kit:thumb:

5. lunarman

lunarman Funster

I was not happy cutting a hole nearly 3" diameter in the side of my van so I opted for a different type of filler point . It is fitted in the fairing around the wheel arch. (its the small black square in the picture).

It also has the advantage that if I ever change the van or want to sell the fillable system the only thing that is left is a hole about 1" diameter that can be filled with a grommett.

Lunarman

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  6. trophychap

trophychap Funster

Ours is inside the locker never had problems filling, have had the odd attendant come and look but never been refused here or abroad.

7. jb0371

jb0371 Read Only Funster

gasit is def the way to go, very helpful guys on the phone, next day delivery and a lot cheaper than gaslow for the same thing apart from the colour of the bottle. I put my filkler point on the outside, mainly because my door hinges upwards so could be a pain in trying to fill it up, also i am lazy, I just want to pop the cap and fill up.

If you do put the point on the outside then another tip is to place the filler pipe into another piece of tubing so as to protect the pipe from chaffing as it works it way through the bodywork to the bottle. A piece of 38mm waste water pipe works for this (measure the gas pipe first just to make sure).

8. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

If you have a certificate from the manufacturer / installer to say that the system complies with any regulations would it make any difference? I can see that an outside filler would possibly be easier (not having to open the locker) but more subject to being tampered with? I've no idea really but we will be getting a refillable system so I'm interested in the answers. OH thinks outside and I don't know!

9. iandsm

iandsm Funster

In or out

Remember that you MUST turn off the cylinders valves before fulling, given that they are inside the locker, unless you turn them off before your journey you will have to open the locker anyway.

10. Wombles

Wombles Funster

Having read the posts on here about possible problems with some fuel stations if the filler point is inside, we wanted to have an external point but it wasn't viable so it is now inside the locker. Hopefully any problems will be rare as refillable bottles are becoming more common now. On the plus side the filler point is behind a locked door whereas a Gaslow external point does not have a locking cap. Don't know if any are suitably sized locking caps available or if this is really an issue for anyone but thought I would mention it just in case it helps anyone.

11. chaser

chaser Funster

Mines inside, no problems yet. Hth:thumb:

12. Wombles

Wombles Funster

Fitting an external point may not be viable on your Chausson as it wasn't on ours - had Vanbitz fit ours (Funster discount:Smile:) so trust their experienced judgement that inside was the only safe & practical option.

• Like Like x 1
  13. trophychap

trophychap Funster

Err, bearing in mind your filler point is supposed to be higher than the bottles - I wouldn't want one in the van 'skirt'. This is supposedly to prevent LPG from puddling in the pipe - so it runs down into the receptacle you are filling not sure how that's supposed to work frankly. But Gaslow's fitting instructions tell you this - also tells you not to have sags in your pipe because of puddling.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that it doesn't make any difference if your bottles are open or closed when you fill them.

14. The truck

The truck Read Only Funster

Gasit

Well thanks to all for opening my eyes to the gasit options. Having read a different thread I am quite interested in the single Gasit refillable option with an internal locker fill point. Gas it claims that this conforms to all UK and EU regulations. I hope they are able to supply certificates to verify this and that this would be enough to satisfy forecourt attendants both here and abroad.

Gas it are currently quoting £147 for a single 6 kg cylinder plus internal fill point. This seems like a good starting point as the system can be added to later on.

All their other accessories such as auto changeover also seem much cheaper than the gaslow alternatives.

15. chaser

chaser Funster

That's the one I have, ordered it 12 o clock one day parcel man knocking on door at eight next morning , all fitted and filled by two o clock:thumb:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  16. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

On the Rapido, it's inside the cabinet. Just make sure that you have it in the right position, too far back and you may not be able to connect to the filler hose.. This happen to me, the person fitting it put it so far back that it was virtually impossible to use, and the same person used 4 different type of screws to hols the bracket in place. One was even a wood screw and different types of screw heads.

Thank goodness Venture Caravans, a thoroughly professional organization sorted the amateurish mess out..

Used it in France and the UK, never had a problem...:thumb:

17. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Gas

You are right about puddling but my Gaslow instructions clearly state highlighted in red,

"Important Always turn off cylinder valves BEFORE filling"

I doubt they would have this warning if it made no difference.

18. chaser

chaser Funster

This is mine, never heard of this puddling thing though, new one to me , mines uphill , no probs I can see, as you will see , still got one calor bottle in as well so if I can't find one , maybe find the other:thumb::thumb:
    Obviously not on it's side:Doh::Doh:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  19. Nick100

Nick100 Read Only Funster

Filler point

I put mine outside under the rear bumper it is protected by the towbar from being bashed or bottoming out. Inside fitting bothered me as there seemed concerns that any leakage may not be able to escape from inside the van.

20. Phill D

Phill D

i was exactly the same and fitted the same filler from GASIt at a fraction of the Gaslow price and was so easy to find a suitable and strong enough place.