Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T564
Exp
Since July 2015
I'm thinking of having a Gaslow setup installed and an outside filler point. I have a couple of questions.....

Is there standard external filler point fitting and is it compatible with LPG pumps at petrol stations? A gentleman I spoke to at a local Shell station started telling me I needed to make sure that the filler was like (there followed a long description of the nozzle/filler point design which I have forgotten).

Is there anywhere on the web that gives a reliable list/map of LPG pumps? The only one I've found to date seems woefully incomplete/incorrect.

Thanks in advance

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
There is a standard filler type in the UK....the only type.....the dutch bayonet.

The pump nozzle handles can be different but not the actual filler.

Europe has a few different ones and there is a new universal european fitting but it depends where you are and what they have.

Adaptors for europe are readily available

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Aminthule

Aminthule

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T564
Exp
Since July 2015
Thanks Pappajohn, just so long as I can manage in the UK this first summer!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Aminthule

Aminthule

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T564
Exp
Since July 2015
Ok thanks Chaser. What are the pros and cons? Apart from price.

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Same product, Gaslow fitted by appointed dealers, Gasit sold online and EBay fir DIY or fitting by your own gas fitter. I chose the latter option and had a caravan gas fitter do the installation which saved me hundreds of pounds. From memory Gasit was £350 fitted versus Gaslow at £800 from my local MH dealer

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
None, they are exactly the same made in the same factory, and very simple to install if you are competent at changing a gas bottle you can put these in, apart from the exterior hole.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
For LPG stations take a look at mylpg.

Gas-it as mentioned by Robert sell the Stako bottles (Polish) a lot cheaper than Gaslow (German) I think better, had them on the last van.
I have Alugas Aluminum bottles on current van a lot lighter, I have 2 x 26 Lt (13kg), empty bottle only 7.6kg.

If not fitting yourself make sure they put the filler hole in a sensible place like the skirt, best not to fit in the insulated bodywork as when filling the hoses are heavy and if held incorrectly can put a lot of pressure on the body.

Cons:
Can't think of any.
Edit: Just thought of one, tend to use more gas as it's so...ooo cheap & easy to fill.
Pros:
Don't bug** your back every time you fill up.
Get gas in any country without hassle.
Gas is a lot cheaper.
Installation cost soon recovered if a high gas user.
Can transfer them to the next van (if you can be bothered).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Same product, Gaslow fitted by appointed dealers, Gasit sold online and EBay fir DIY or fitting by your own gas fitter. I chose the latter option and had a caravan gas fitter do the installation which saved me hundreds of pounds. From memory Gasit was £350 fitted versus Gaslow at £800 from my local MH dealer

That must be for 2 bottles surely.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Gas-it as mentioned by Robert sell the Stako bottles (Polish) a lot cheaper than Gaslow (German) I think better, had them on the last van.
I have Alugas Aluminum bottles on current van a lot lighter, I have 2 x 26 Lt (13kg), empty bottle only 7.6kg.

If not fitting yourself make sure they put the filler hole in a sensible place like the skirt, best not to fit in the insulated bodywork as when filling the hoses are heavy and if held incorrectly can put a lot of pressure on the body.

Cons:
Can't think of any.
Edit: Just thought of one, tend to use more gas as it's so...ooo cheap & easy to fill.
Pros:
Don't bug** your back every time you fill up.
Get gas in any country without hassle.
Gas is a lot cheaper.
Installation cost soon recovered if a high gas user.
Can transfer them to the next van (if you can be bothered).
Not going to start an argument but I thought all the bottles were made in the same factory in Portugal, I know there are various things against it but I have gasit with an internal filler , never had any problem filling anywhere and it then is quite easy to fit the lot yourself, really is just screwing pipes on like changing a normal bottle

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years

if you do have the filler in the skirt -you may require a support at the skirt rear to stop any flexing of the skirt-the nozzles are heavy and once attached to the filler point hands should be removed away and the pump started. Techno100 posted a good picture of a skirt filler albeit for an underslung tank

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
For some reason I have had three personal messages to Lenny , here they are
Mark as UnreadStar ConversationLeave Conversation
  1. Broken Link Removed
    NickFRead Only Funster
    New
    Evening Lenny,

Firstly i hope this message finds you well?

I don't have enough privileges to reply on the forum but i thought i'd let you know our GAS IT and Gaslow 2 hole bottles are made in the same factory in Portugal - Ours are red, thiers are yellow that's the only difference. Gaslow don't sell any German bottles by the way.

Our OEM specification Vapour tanks and OEM specification R67.01 gas bottles that we've been selling for 19+ years are made by Worthington / Stako, an American company based in Poland who are the the world's leading global manufacturer of pressure vessels. Our Stako bottles aren't any cheaper than the Portuguese bottles unfortunately, they work out around a 1/3 more than the gaslow and GAS IT bottles, but i'd expect that as the Stako bottles are better quality all around and they include a lot more features like a liquid phase separator which stops any liquid LPG leaving the gas bottle for one.

I hope that clarifies things for you and allows your post to be updated and corrected.

If you ever need any help on anything else please do not hesitate to give us a call or drop me an email at nick@gasit.co.uk

Best wishes,

Nick.
    M.0774 855 4289

Broken Link Removed IT.co.uk and www.fesautogas.co.uk
    Broken Link Removed, Broken Link RemovedBroken Link Removed
    Broken Link Removed

2. Broken Link Removed
    NickFRead Only Funster
    New
    Lenny,

I hope you don't mind but i thought i'd add the other relevant persons who were on the forum asking and mentioning GAS IT and gaslow here to the conversation as i can't put anything on the forum for some reason ( perhaps because i'm new but i'll read around and find out why?)

Nick.

Broken Link Removed IT.co.uk and www.fesautogas.co.uk
    Broken Link Removed, Broken Link RemovedBroken Link Removed
    Broken Link Removed

3. Broken Link Removed
    Broken Link RemovedRead Only Funster
    New
    oh and i should have mentioned earlier - if your Administrator hasn't said already told you its forum members, we offer many other different forum and club members here in the UK and Europe a discount code and they all enjoy thier own coupon discount code for using in our webshop and have for the last few years. So our already low priced are even lower using this secrete code ( for your forum member only) mhfungas

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Aminthule

Aminthule

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T564
Exp
Since July 2015
Bloody hell! I thought I'd asked a simple question, but seem to have opened the proverbial can of worms! Some Nrs like Gaslow is an expensive version of Gasit!

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Shop around. Gaslow has been around for a long time and they are normally more expensive than Gasit, but here is a link to a dealer who appears to me to be offering Gaslow at prices comparable to Gasit.
Broken Link Removed

p.s. I've had a 2 x 11 kg Gaslow system since we bought the van eight years ago. I have been very happy with it.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Yes I have had those messages, why doesn't he pay ten quid and post direct, would get a lot more respect than hassling members behind the scenes.

Anyway I reckon my Alugas ones are superior.:)

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Anyway I reckon my Alugas ones are superior.:)

I agree - if I were choosing again I would seriously consider Alugas for the weight saving. £500 for a 2 x 11kg kit from Autogas 2000, or £185 per bottle plus the various tubes and fittings.
Also available from Trade Funster Dave Newell I believe (discount available to members). http://davenewell.co.uk/motorhome-refillable-gas-lpg/ (Might be worth a trip from Cornwall to Telford if you can incorporate a holiday or similar.)

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I agree - if I were choosing again I would seriously consider Alugas for the weight saving. £500 for a 2 x 11kg kit from Autogas 2000, or £185 per bottle plus the various tubes and fittings.
Also available from Trade Funster Dave Newell I believe (discount available to members). http://davenewell.co.uk/motorhome-refillable-gas-lpg/ (Might be worth a trip from Cornwall to Telford if you can incorporate a holiday or similar.)
I have the 13kg (26Lt) don't think they are available in the UK, when we went to pick up the van dealer took the van to get the bottles fitted & they were out of stock of 11kg so fitted 13kg. Don't think they will fit a Hymer external locker but plenty of room if the locker is in the garage.

Upvote 0

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Ordered mine yesterday lunchtime , marvellous ! . if anybody knows of any other discount codes , please don't tell me ( apart from tyrepal )

Upvote 0
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I got one yellow and one red one :rolleyes:
And never had a problem filling anywhere even in foreign climes so long as I don't forget my adapters ;)
Seriously best thing I have ever fitted to van (y)
We have just been away for 2 nights in coldish weather heating on for about 50 hours and used 7 litres of gas (y)

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
if you do have the filler in the skirt -you may require a support at the skirt rear to stop any flexing of the skirt-the nozzles are heavy and once attached to the filler point hands should be removed away and the pump started. Techno100 posted a good picture of a skirt filler albeit for an underslung tank
That is the reason I do not recommend fitting them in the. Body, both my vans have had aluminium skirts and it has not been a problem. Obviously when fitting to need access the strength of the mounting position wherever it is.

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
CA_11241412243015-X2.jpg

DIY tank is cheaper than twin Gaslow
CA_11231411581952-X2.jpg

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
LPG very cheap at the moment. I couldn't resist our local garage at 56p/L. They are usually the most expensive around. One Alugas bottle showing just one led off full (so probably half empty) and one full. Only took 14L but at least I can think I got a bargain.

Upvote 0

Ethle the wondervan

Free Member
Mar 13, 2015
Peak District
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
One year
Fitted one 11kg Gasit + bulkhead regulator/changeover valve + small calor propane as spare + internal fill point.
Gasit supplier kitted me out with all necessary bits and pieces and it all went together like meccano, a very satisfying DIY job. Have filled up in UK, France and Spain using the appropriate adapters. You soon get used to the quirks of the different pump types. If I am anywhere without Autogas or Calor then I can easily replace the calor bottle with a local bottle and regulator/adapter via the calor pigtail. Easy, go for it!

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
@Techno100 any chance you post some more pics of your installation, ie the location of the filler etc.
Also, what capacity is the tank? I am interested in putting this installation in our van, and it looks dead simple to install.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back