Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Our motorhome had already been converted to Gaslow when we got it. We have one refillable cylinder, a tail for the BBQ connection and another with a red hand screw type thread that I assume is for a 4.5 or 6KG propane cylinder should I wish to carry one.

We're off to France and Spain in a few weeks time, and although I have the LPG adapters and the filling station POI's all installed in the SAT NAV, I'm still wondering if I should get an extra calor propane as a reserve just in case!

So am I correct in thinking either a 4.5 or 6KG would be suitable (I know I cannot exchange in europe). What about these calor lite cylinders, are they any good? and finally, I have a 13KG butane, do retailers have to exchange like for like or could I exchange blue for red?

Any advice welcome please, Dave

Last edited:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Hi Dave,
So long as you have the spare weight capacity then I would take a full 6kg Calor in case of emergency, particularly if you intend staying in one place for any length of time.

The Calor Lite saves a little weight but you will pay a premium for it.

If you are intending to keep moving then I would just keep topping up the Gaslow bottle whenever you pass a lpg pump saving the extra weight / cost and space.

Brian

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
We have a single 11kg Gaslow bottle and a 6kg Calor bottle as a standby in case of emergency.

It depends on the weather how much gas you will need, mainly for heating, and although it should be sunnier climes in Spain - but you never know!

We had to use the spare Calor bottle for a day or so when we were in the freezing Northern France earlier this year when the Gaslow bottle ran out.

Common sense says take a spare just in case but if you really want to be alright then investing in a second Gaslow bottle really would see you through even the coldest times.

:france::france::france:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
We're also doing Scotland and the Shetlands later this year which is why I thought the second cylinder might be better if it's exchangable, just giving that second option if LPG filling stations are few and far between. I guess my concerns are some of the posts I've read concerning LPG in Spain; although there seems to be quite a few in the area's we're going on my sat nav POI I downloaded.

It's probaly just me and "what else do I need to think about" concerns, Need to just go now!

Nethernut

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
We're also doing Scotland and the Shetlands later this year which is why I thought the second cylinder might be better if it's exchangable, just giving that second option if LPG filling stations are few and far between. I guess my concerns are some of the posts I've read concerning LPG in Spain; although there seems to be quite a few in the area's we're going on my sat nav POI I downloaded.

It's probaly just me and "what else do I need to think about" concerns, Need to just go now!

We don't have a problem getting refills for our LPG up here in N Scotland, many small garages have LPG pumps. We have an 11 and a 6 kg cylinder fitted, haven't run out of gas yet. The 11 kg normally lasts about 6 weeks in the summer using Stellplatz, Aires etc and using gas for cooking and water heating. In winter we probably get 1 to 2 weeks using heating all the time.
We don't carry any other cylinders, just get top ups if we see LPG for sale. We deliberately didn't top up in Germany last year as we wanted to see how long a fill would last.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Thanks for all the good advice. :thumb:

Reading your replies makes me think that perhaps I'll just go with keeping an eye on the single 11KG refillable and top up whenever the SAT NAV shows that we're near a service Station that has LPG. Only once did we nearly run out last year and that was before I knew where all the UK LPG stations were. I could imagine a situation where I end up just lugging another clylinder all over europe and never using it! Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back