Gasit two bottles or one

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by simi, Oct 20, 2013.

1. simi

simi Read Only Funster

Hi
    Am going to get LPG Gasit system and can fit an 11kg bottle do I need two bottles for Europe or would one be enough:Cool:

2. Phill D

Phill D

i have a 11kg gasit ans a 5 kg calor lite fitted at moment. 2 reasons; 1. i'm mean and did not want to pay out for 2 bottles all in one go. 2. not having operated a semi fixed lpg system before i kept the calor 5kg as an emergency back up.

truth is not needed the 5kg at all managed the filling and availability of autogas well. if i were to be spending winter time in the colder climes then maybe 11kgs between fillings times might not be enough if you stay put for long periods or the nearest autogas is too far away.

we have not had a time ( as of yet :Doh: ) where we have needed to search for gas urgently.

so it will depend mainly on you winter usage and if you disappear for extended periods to areas that dont have access to autogas or lPg refill.

3. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

I have 2 * 6 Kg Gassit bottles. Over the summer in France I used the gas for cooking and fridge (very rarely eat out) and filled on average once a fortnight. I have an Eberspatcher for heating.

I'm a belt & braces man so I would carry as much as I can based on the premise that when I needed a refill I probably wouldn't be able to find any:cry:

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  4. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

Realistically you are only likely to have any problems getting gas is if you 'long stay' on a Spanish campsite-and then,the usual solution is to buy a Spanish bottle on the site and use that until you leave.
    Let me explain 'problems getting gas' If for arguments sake you were to spend 3 mths at Marjal Catral site the nearest autogas is Alicante,so,a couple of hrs round trip if you need to do it.
    I would top up my on-board gas at Alicante on way to Marjal,buy a Spanish bottle on arrival and leave with my own tank full. :BigGrin:

Mike

5. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

We've had a Gaslow single 11kg bottle now since 2009, we got it basically so that when we go abroad we don't have to worry about carrying 'enough' Calor to last the whole holiday, also on a previous motorhome the gas locker only took one bottle so it was a good job we'd already changed to a refillable as one large Calor would NOT have lasted us!

We did nearly 7 weeks in Germany and France from mid-May to end of June this year and it was cold and wet for half that time ... just as the major flooding was taking place! We always found places to fill up (we have them as POIs on our TomTom sat nav) and never had a problem with being allowed to do so either. We also did 4 weeks in the Republic of Ireland (just a couple of days in Northern Ireland) and that actually posed a bigger problem as there are not a lot of filling points there now so we did have to 'hunt' it out a bit on one occasion, this was due to the garage that 'advertised' as having it didn't do it any more but they knew of another not far away so rang and checked they still did it before we set off so it wasn't a major problem, but just something to be aware of if you go there.

Spain, and possibly Portugal, don't have as many filling stations as France, Germany etc, so to save you worry for your 'maiden voyage' I would say get one 11kg Gas-it bottle, plus a hose to be able to attach a Calor to (which I assume you still have anyway?) and take a Calor with you too, that way you have a 'back-up' just in case you get 'caught short' but in reality you're not likely to need it and at some point in the future may be confident enough to let your Calor 'comfort blanket' go!!! :BigGrin:

One other thing we have is an aerosol type gas stove in a plastic 'suitcase' (less than £10 and the aerosols can be bought absolutely everywhere) which we use outside for cooking smelly/messy stuff, it also meant in Ireland that we could eek out the gas when we were getting a bit low by doing some cooking on this instead of the main hob. It would do in an emergency if we ran out of gas (can't do without my cuppa!) or whilst wanting a drink in the ferry/tunnel queue once the main gas has been turned off! :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rapide561

Rapide561 Read Only Funster

Gas

I'd go for two as they always run out when there is a pie in the oven etc, and no doubt when it is dark and raining!

Russell

7. HymerB544

HymerB544 Funster

How many bottles

We have two 11kg Gaslow bottles which you can refill all over Europe. Not sure what advantage there is from only one (apart from fitting costs)

Gary :BigGrin:

8. brynric

brynric Funster

I agree with Phill D here. We have a gaslow system with one large and one small bottle. We use the large one then we know we have the safety net of the small one whilst looking for a refill. Often we've hardly used any of the smaller bottle but its great for peace of mind.

9. lorger

lorger Funster

I fitted the gas it 11k bottle this April and then topped it up before heading away for 3 weeks, we only had hook up for 5 nights so the rest of the time the fridge and cooker plus BBQ where being used on gas and we used about 1/4 at most. We have since been to Berlin for the week and used very little so one bottle is perfect for us.

10. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Need to go to Specsavers, you just replied to a 2 year old thread.:LOL:

11. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Who did?

12. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

It's gone must have been embarrassed and edited the post.:D

13. jaygee

jaygee Funster

We have a mixed system gassit and normal calor the reason being is that we can refil the gassit cheaply at any LPG station (thats why we fit it) and can carry a spare calor to swop over or get a refil, handy if you are parked up for long periods like when we went Skiing,to much trouble to move, so best of both worlds

14. Masman

Masman Funster

Im thinking of getting a gas it set up.I have to use gas for heating as i have no electric heating.I can fit a 13kg & a 6kg calor bottles in my locker.Cant decide whether to get one gas it & keep a 6kg calor for back up.

15. Abacist

Abacist Funster

Just looking at this thread and I see that there is an advert for Alugas lightweight bottles from Autogas 2000 on the right hand side of the screen. Seen lots of comments about Gaslow and Gasit but what about lightweight Aluminium refillable gas bottles?

Anyone got one and are you pleased with it? Presumably they are dearer to buy in the first place? How long do these cylinders last in terms of pressure testing?

16. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

I have 2 x 13kg (26Lt) Alugas bottles, German made, very good quality, good weight saving empty tare is 7.6kg, the 11kg bottle is only 6.6 kg. Recommended test period is 10 years. Also due to the lower thermal conductivity of the bottles there is less chance of the regulator icing up in high use conditions, also they gas off better in winter conditions leaving less residue in the bottle. P1000212.jpg

• Like Like x 1