Gasit tank regulator (1 Viewer)

Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie bought our first motorhome 7months ago and love it
Just posted a thread with regards to our heater not working. Just found out it's now our regulator.
It works initally but after 10 secs it stops allowing gas through. It's brand new. It's the one that connects directly to the lpg tank with and 8mm compression on the end. Does anyone know where we could buy one or borrow one at short notice. We are meant to be going away Saturday and have no heating

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I would phone gasit they may get you one on next day if you ask.
Are you sure it's not a thermocouple? does you hob and fridge not light either?

OP
OP
TheDentons
Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
Gas it closed Friday for Christmas.
I've undone the gas pipe at the isolation valve. It allows gas through for about 15 secs then stops when the regulator frosts up
Cheers

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Just a thought.. and I may be off beam..

is there a button on top of the regulator ?

If so you need to hold it down until the lines are full and pressure has built up.. it's a safety device which will close the gas off in the event of a rupture and loss of pressure downstream of the regulator.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Mine is a Gavagna from Gasit two years ago and never had any issues, I'm really surprised that a new one is faulty.
IMG_0291-XL.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
TheDentons
Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
Hi techno
I've followed you thread and fitted the same tank as yourself, the only sight for the tank was at the rear of the van so had to run another 5metres of gas ok d from the gas locker to the tank.
We had the same regulator as your self which we now know is faulty.
We have tried other regulators 28mbar and 38mbar but the heater doesn't seem to like the extra l
Pipe work. We have come to this conclusion because we reconected our bulk head regulator to the old bottle and that works fine.
We come to the conclusion that we will have to stick to our bulk head regulator and run a high pressure feed from the tank to the regulator. But nobody seems to stock the fittings.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
use a hose connector regulater with a hose and jubille clips temporarily

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
The problem may lie with the main isolating Valve. There is an overflow stop built in to this valve which can be activated if you open the valve too quickly. Once activated the stop valve will only allow gas through very slowly which would account for what's happening.

Try closing the main tank isolator, leave it an hour , and then open it very slowly, this may cure the situation.

Cheers

David.

OP
OP
TheDentons
Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
image.jpg Does anybody know where I can buy these fittings so I can make up my own pigtail
image.jpg

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Try a local hydraulic suppliers such as Pirtek or Hoseflex.

They both have nationwide coverage.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
The problem is quite possibly the addition of 5 metres of 8mm pipe. Just as with electrics and too thin wire causing voltage drop, in gas pipework too small bore pipework creates pressure drop at the final appliance and every joint or bend adds more resistance to flow, if its a high demand appliance such as a heater or cooker then it can cause the issues you're experiencing. I'd suggest fitting a 10mm reg and upping the 5 metres of extra pipe to 10mm.

D.

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
http://www.gasit.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=165

Here is a link showing what's inside these tanks. If you read item four this refers to the outlet valve. You will see that it describes how the valve shuts off in the event of excess flow. It may be that your heater is trying to draw more gas than the valve is set to supply. There is also a risk that with 5 m of pipe, if you open the valve too quickly, the sudden out rush of gas may have caused this valve to actuate.

When the valve is in its actuated position it still allows a very slow flow in order that you can re-pressurise the system and then close and open the main valve to reset the excess flow valve.

It may well be I am barking up completely the wrong tree but it's worth a try.

Cheers

David.

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
http://www.gasit.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=165

Here is a link showing what's inside these tanks. If you read item four this refers to the outlet valve. You will see that it describes how the valve shuts off in the event of excess flow. It may be that your heater is trying to draw more gas than the valve is set to supply. There is also a risk that with 5 m of pipe, if you open the valve too quickly, the sudden out rush of gas may have caused this valve to actuate.

When the valve is in its actuated position it still allows a very slow flow in order that you can re-pressurise the system and then close and open the main valve to reset the excess flow valve.

It may well be I am barking up completely the wrong tree but it's worth a try.

Cheers

David.

I think you have nailed it..

this valve works in the same fashion as the safety shut-off type regulators I mentioned in my first post..

I concur that this is most likely the problem..

excellent information.. thanks.

OP
OP
TheDentons
Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
We've removed the additional 10m pipe work and run a high pressure hose to the tank to the regulator. We've had the heating running for about an hour.
All seemed well until our regulator frosted up and cut out.
We've googled it and regulators can suffer extreme freezing if liquid propane passes through wondering if this can be the problem. The little green button which you need to pressurise the appliances keeps tripping out

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
You haven't inadvertently fitted the tank upside down have you? This would cause liquid LPG to be drawn off instead of Vapour and could cause the reg freezing you're experiencing. Failing that I think you really need professional help with this, diagnosis by remote over the interweb is very difficult.

D.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I agree and as I pictured earlier mine is well and truly frozen over in use. Propane operates below -40C

OP
OP
TheDentons
Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
image.jpg
the tank is the correct way up otherwise techno s is upside down too I think its at slightly the wrong angle we had the rear end of the van on ramps and its parked on an incline as well
When I filled it at the local garage it only too 40 Ltrs
Gas it were out of stock of the tool to set the tank I think that this has caused the problem

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
There is something SERIOUSLY WRONG with your installation! I have never seen a bulkhead reg in a gas locker frozen like that in other than arctic conditions. You REALLY NEED to get professional help to sort this out because it is potentially very dangerous. What tool to set the tank? There is an indicator cross to the left of the valve box (usually) and the arrow head MUST point upwards. Only two things cause frosting of regs: drawing a high flow of gas for an extended period, usually in humid conditions or liquid gas passing into the pipework/reg and evaporating inside the pipework/reg.

D.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Regulator is supposed to be fitted above tank is it not? To prevent liguid gas been drawn through the system....the reg on photo of external tank don't look right to me, surely reg should be fitted in van?

OP
OP
TheDentons
Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
Reconnected my original gasit bottle and have had the heating running all night I am sure liquid lpg had got into the regulator which was causing the freezing issues

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Regulator is supposed to be fitted above tank is it not? To prevent liguid gas been drawn through the system....the reg on photo of external tank don't look right to me, surely reg should be fitted in van?
No mine is fitted correctly and been there since may 2008
Have a look at autogas 2000 gallery

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Reconnected my original gasit bottle and have had the heating running all night I am sure liquid lpg had got into the regulator which was causing the freezing issues

Then there is definitely a problem with your tank installation, either inside the tank or the way its fitted.

D.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Thanks Andy, I checked out the Gasit website after my post and found it. I didn't know about it because we deal with Autogas2000 rather than Gasit.

D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back