Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi everyone.

I just picked up a 6 month old complete 11kg Gasit system on Gumtree (bargain at £100) which I will fit myself in the next few weeks.

However, I am curious, I am insured with Caravanguard and wondered if anyone knows if they are likely to be interested. I don't see any mention in other threads, and I will call them tomorrow to find out. In the mean time, any thoughts?

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
I think your find that Caravan guard will require a certified installation . I know when I have enquired to them about installing a extra electrical outlet they would not cover any damage caused by the installation like a electrical fire unless it was installed by a qualified electrician and covered by a certificate .

Upvote 0

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
any thoughts
Yes... my thoughts....
if you are confident about doing the work just fit it..
I can't see many insurer's saying anything else if you put that question to them...
If you get hab checks done I'm sure it will get checked then and if all is OK there then it shouldn't be an issue in the longer term...
That's just me mind.. I dislike people telling me what I can and can't do to my own van if I'm able to do it... but understand it may be advice that comes with a risk....:)
Andy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Yes... my thoughts....
if you are confident about doing the work just fit it..
I can't see many insurer's saying anything else if you put that question to them...
If you get hab checks done I'm sure it will get checked then and if all is OK there then it shouldn't be an issue in the longer term...
That's just me mind.. I dislike people telling me what I can and can't do to my own van if I'm able to do it... but understand it may be advice that comes with a risk....:)
Andy.
I understand your stance, however, if you 'pimp' a car, put different wheels on, smaller steering wheel, etc and don't inform your insurance company, they van void any claim.

Upvote 0
Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I informed my insurers when I did mine and they weren't bothered, and when I changed insurer I informed them and again they weren't bothered.

With regard to getting it checked when you're done, that's up to you. I didn't, my reason being that I didn't get it checked every time I changed the calor cylinder. Fitting the cylinder involved fitting an adapter to the POL pigtail and then connecting this to the outlet side of the refillable - so two joins instead of the one with the calor. I then checked for gas tightness at these two joins with this

http://www.safelincs.co.uk/honeywell-ezsense-flammable-gas-detector/

which I already had as I used it when changing a calor cylinder.

There are then two connections on the filler side, one to the cylinder and one to the fill valve. I discovered that I had a very small leak at the cylinder when I first filled but this was tightened and rectified for the second fill.

I have since bought one of these

http://www.gaslowdirect.com/epages/...jectPath=/Shops/cyujrhdmmu67/Products/01-4999

which means that I can test the fill side for gas tightness too or use it to run a spare calor cylinder off.

So in total, 4 connections compared to the one connection on a calor. But - you will never have to make these connections again, whereas you would every time you change a calor cylinder.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dare_Devil_Dennis

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Yes, Andy, good point. The hab check on first service should cover insurance loss adjusters concerns. As for confidence doing the work and modesty aside, I am a hands on Engineer (retired 2013) who did his apprenticeship in the nuclear industry in the late 1960's. I have a full workshop and tools.

I watch some of the suppliers "experts" giving instruction on Youtube and cringe at the mediocrity of some of them doing their best and falling far short of what I would call acceptable quality.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I fitted my first gas units myself and enjoyed the odour of LPG for a while until a Gaslow engineer came out and fixed it, not actually my fault this time. I told my insurance with no problems. My second unit was fitted by a garage and again I informed my insurance (a different company) with no problems. Although I fully understand people who have the right to do what they wish with their vans, I am alive to the possibility that in the event of an accident, the 'modified vehicle' clause could be used against me. That would not make me happy!

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Our insurers have never been interested ... it's been moved from one MH to another (Rimor > Chausson > Autocruise > Globecar), no problems at all and not really anymore difficult than messing about with Calor bottles ...

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I think your find that Caravan guard will require a certified installation .

Certificated by whom?

Don't say Gas Safe because we've been through it a million times before and the GSIUR regs do not apply to motorhomes apart from in a couple of very specific circumstances relating to how the vehicle is used so they are generally outside the scope of the Gas Safe scheme.

If you want to know the details do a search. The last thread was a few months ago (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Certificated by whom?

Don't say Gas Safe because we've been through it a million times before and the GSIUR regs do not apply to motorhomes apart from in a couple of very specific circumstances relating to how the vehicle is used so they are generally outside the scope of the Gas Safe scheme.

If you want to know the details do a search. The last thread was a few months ago (y)

Quite right. I understand that Regs do not apply to m/h's 'unless used for hire and reward'. I fitted a full Gaslow system a month ago in less than an hour (including a brew and a smug gloat halfway) and uncharacteristically used the correct and quite pricey Gaslow joint sealant and leak detector spray on the basis that I'd never have to replace bottles or disturb the joints again. In any case the Gaslow regulator has a green/red dial which indicates any leakage wherever it may be in the entire system, not just in the new joints but throughout all the piping, the connections, and fridge, cooker, heater etc.

Upvote 0

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
I fitted my 11kg gasit system just before the MH had the hab check,which they check the gas system is ok.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back