stokerlady

Free Member
Jan 30, 2013
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Hi all, only just joined, got our first motorhome today so I know nothing! Anyone got comments on regular calor gas bottles or refillable type system please? Thank you

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Hi and :welcomefunster:, I thought about refillable gas cylinders, but as we mainly use sites with hook up tend not to use much gas so for us ordinary gas cylinders are more cost effective. If you plan to use non hook up sites or wild camping then perhaps refillable would be the way to go.

John

Upvote 0

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Hi,
If you use a lot of gas ( don't have any other cooking or heating) or you plan to go abroad then an 11kg alugas refillable is the way to go.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I have 2 gaslow 11kg bottles .

Refill anywhere, had these on caravan before MH .
For me they are perfect

Mel

Upvote 0

drivingontheroadto

Free Member
Jan 30, 2013
Wokingham
Funster No
MH
coach-built
Exp
Caravan 20 years - Motorhome 8 years
We have a refillable underslung gas tank that I fill up with LPG at petrol stations. When we got it I thought was ideal and in the most it has been. it's great in the UK and isn't a problem in France in the summer. In Spain LPG is harder to find but given I don't use a lot of gas in the summer not a big problem. However, in the winter, in a ski resort where the temp drops to minus 10 at night it was an inconvenience. An inconvenience in that I ended up staying on a site and using electricity to heat the van. I would have chosen to wild camp and use aires if I had been able to carry enough gas. Don't get me wrong my gas tank is quite big as it holds 25 litres but I would have used a lot of gas in these extreme conditions. To fill up the tank would have to move the van more often than I would want to. So to summarise so depends what you are doing, if staying in the UK save the install cost and stick with bottles. If spending a lot of time in Europe in the summer and even winter in most places then a refillable tank is an excellent option. But if you want to wildcamp in Ski resorts you need a way of using Gas that yo can source locally (this would also mean that you would need local regulators)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Have a look at Link Removed they are based close to you in Caernarfon.

also

:party2::welcome::party2::

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
For long term ownership, and easy of use and fill up, the Alugas system is best in my eyes, as the bottles weigh very little probebly the lightest on the market (especially when have to keep the weight down) and with filler on the outside of motorhome you just plug in and fill like any LPG powered car, expensive to start with but over long period pays for itself in convenience, Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back