Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
you'll have to put a warning notice on them in case a blind person scalds their self
... and how would they read it prey tell ...

Other than hubby when he doesn't wear his glasses we don't get any 'blind' visitors ... well not that sort anyway ... just the ones trying to get us to pay silly money for conservatory blinds! :D

However, our hot water is from a tank which we rarely put on so even if someone did turn on the hot tap instead of the cold it wouldn't burn them. :)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
... and how would they read it prey tell ...

Other than hubby when he doesn't wear his glasses we don't get any 'blind' visitors ... well not that sort anyway ... just the ones trying to get us to pay silly money for conservatory blinds! :D

However, our hot water is from a tank which we rarely put on so even if someone did turn on the hot tap instead of the cold it wouldn't burn them. :)
I always assumed Cold was on the right because right-handed individuals reach for that one first. Or maybe it's just me that does that.

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Am I supposed to turn the gas off? I am not very mechanically minded, so which is the knob I have to find?
Alan

Are you talking about the cooker or the gas cylinder? It really is simple, left turn is off on the cylinder and the cooker you can see the
I always assumed Cold was on the right because right-handed individuals reach for that one first. Or maybe it's just me that does that.

after doing some self builds building regs will not pass the premises with the taps the wrong way, if it was built before this reg came in to force people put the taps anyway they liked they cant do anything about it, but just saying hot should be on the left so the blind know what is what. many new building regs out now and for the better like a 4" cavity with thicker insulation, it does work well, anyway back to the Gas has it be sorted out yet?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Dear Mr Crabman... I am still searching for a knob.... oh dear! Perhaps I am not cut out for this technical stuff.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
On the bottle - clockwise is off & is second nature. Clockwise is also off on the cooker hob, but somehow that always feels as if it's wrong. I think it's because the brain thinks 'open or shut' with the bottle, but 'On or Off' on the cooker & a rotary switch is usually turned to the right for the 'On' position.

Are we still talking gas bottles?
If we're not Joy, it won't matter which way you turn it, I'm sure you will get the same effect. :) :whistle:

I think I remember reading somewhere that the thread runs the other direction to normal so that it make people think before they start to fiddle with it......but maybe I just made that up.
On a propane bottle, the on/off valve works the same way as normal (clockwise = off), but the nut that tightens the gas pipe to the bottle is indeed a left hand thread & has to be turned anti-clockwise to tighten it. With a butane bottle, it's clockwise for both.

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
best thing you can do is go to a store that sells gas bottles and ask them to show you so you know, then a gas cooker shop to show you which is on and off, then you can put your mind at ease,

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Are you talking about the cooker or the gas cylinder? It really is simple, left turn is off on the cylinder and the cooker you can see the

after doing some self builds building regs will not pass the premises with the taps the wrong way, if it was built before this reg came in to force people put the taps anyway they liked they cant do anything about it, but just saying hot should be on the left so the blind know what is what. many new building regs out now and for the better like a 4" cavity with thicker insulation, it does work well, anyway back to the Gas has it be sorted out yet?
No.. left turn is On.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I would think that with two thread connections like on a gas bottle then the threads will be cut in opposite directions saving any heavy handed user from turning the wrong thread...(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back