Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I am thinking of spending a week in France over New Year mainly off hook up.

Will 2 x 6kg gas bottles be enough for heating and cooking?

Opinions welcomed.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Chris.
I would have thought that 2 bottles should do the job but as always it depends on useage, how cold it is etc. Last Christmas and New year we use our van as an extra bedroom for about 3 to 4 weeks, we only used the gas for heating and only used 1 6kg bottle. :thumb:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I would say so but also depends where in France you are but one week should be no problem. If using aires you always have the option to pay for electric if borne is working . Allows you 1 hour at a time when you could run a small electric heater.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Chris

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I would say so but also depends where in France you are but one week should be no problem. If using aires you always have the option to pay for electric if borne is working . Allows you 1 hour at a time when you could run a small electric heater.

Thanks.

We will probably be in Normandy/ Brittany so it will be cold.

I was expecting the aires to be open but possibly any leccy switched off.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Multiply weight of gas, in kg, by 13.9 to give available kWh. All your appliances should have consumption figures on a data plate, somewhere. Most cooking facilities will be rating x hours. Heating will be 40-50% diversity with hot water and fridge similar. Obviously fridge at lower end of range and heating higher in winter.

OP
OP
Chris

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Multiply weight of gas, in kg, by 13.9 to give available kWh. All your appliances should have consumption figures on a data plate, somewhere. Most cooking facilities will be rating x hours. Heating will be 40-50% diversity with hot water and fridge similar. Obviously fridge at lower end of range and heating higher in winter.

Thanks ....I think.

I am such a useless prat that such calculations are completely beyond me.:Doh:::bigsmile:

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Thanks.

Been hurtling through France in the winter for a few years now, with Spain our destination. Haven't found many sites, aires or much else open in January. France Passion might be an option bit I've never tried one in the winter. The 'permenant tourists' seem to use a lot of the aires when summer's over.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Chris if its any help we use about one 3.9kg bottle with heating cooking and hot water in -10 =4/5 days---van is always skid pants warm day and night ::bigsmile:Prob a lot better insulated than any other vans but still has windows and roof vent which I am sure counts for most heat loss
terry

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Thanks.

In our experience its the water they turn off, a lot of the time electric is still ON and free. :thumb:

Gas is a bit like how longs a bit of string, we have used a 11kg bottle in four days up in the Harz mountains in October :whatthe: but it was a bit fresh to say the least. :ROFLMAO: Bob.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Chris, don't forget to factor in water heating as showers etc will be need by all aboard.

Plus the other things you mentioned earlier.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back