Gas smell from fridge (1 Viewer)

Gobil

Free Member
Jan 5, 2010
Funster No
Hi All,

There is a smell of gas coming from the top of my electrolux (4123?).

When the gas is switched off from the tap before the fridge there is no smell, then when I turn it on there is still no smell. But when I switch on te fridge there is a smell of gas that seems to be coming from the top of the switch above the gas control switches. Its hard to access this area, but fairly sure thats where the leak is, as I have accessed the back and there is no smell.

How should I proceed? Obviously a gas fridge expert is the best solution, but where would you find one? and is there a common problem with these anyone else has encountered?

Cheers

G

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year
Can you get to the gas control valve with some washing up liquid and water mix, if you can either spray or brush it on the valve and it should show where your leak is, It could be just a loose connection. If your not confident at this sort of thing I'd take it to any caravan repair shop I'm sure they would sort it out.

John

PS, is the flue on the fridge exhaust ? it could be the fumes coming back in the van.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Winter covers on?

Don't know the fridge but some have them...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G

Gobil

Free Member
Jan 5, 2010
Funster No
I had suspected that is was flue gas coming back in, but it smells more 'gassy' than 'fluey'.

The flue has a slanted 'T' connection. one end of the T goes outside, the other end is slanted down inside and is open at the end which I find strange. I'll try and take a photo if this is confusing.

As I said, the main problem here is access, I would hae to take the worktop off entirely which has the burners and the sink on.

cheers

G

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
Gas

Get it checked straight away. You have a mixture of gas and an igniter in the fridge and put together that's trouble,

It could be a number of things from a leaking joint, broken gas valve etc. Don't take a risk.

OP
OP
G

Gobil

Free Member
Jan 5, 2010
Funster No
that would be my preferred course of action, but it could be somethig simple that could save a lot of time/expense as there are no motorhome service centres near me.

I will try to have another look today and find the leak, get access and see if it just a loose connection. If not, it could be warm beer for the next several months!

thanks for the advice

G

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
If all else fails can you not 'pop' the fridge out or forward, it's usually four screws inside the fridge, under little covers possibly? Just depends on how it was fitted/if there is enogh give/flex in the gas and electrical connections.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I had suspected that is was flue gas coming back in, but it smells more 'gassy' than 'fluey'.

The flue has a slanted 'T' connection. one end of the T goes outside, the other end is slanted down inside and is open at the end which I find strange. I'll try and take a photo if this is confusing.

As I said, the main problem here is access, I would hae to take the worktop off entirely which has the burners and the sink on.

cheers

G

I have in the past had the smell of exhaust fumes from the fridge but only when there is a strong wind on that side of the van, it goes with the wind or tuening the van!

As to the "T" on the chimney I think that is to allow and wind to blow through the "T" without blowing down the chimney and putting out the gas flame.

Doug...

Oct 25, 2008
Lowestoft
Funster No
MH
Frankia FF2
Exp
since 1999
We had the same smell from around the gas igniter button at the top of the fridge. Faulty switch was replaced but cost over £100!!
Get it checked out properly I doubt if it's DIY. Ours has failed after over 700 nights use so we can't complain.

OP
OP
G

Gobil

Free Member
Jan 5, 2010
Funster No
Update,

Checked the valve to the gas control knob with soapy water, sure enough it was bubbling away. The connection from the steel gas pipe was made through an orange gas pipe, which I'm told is not the best way to set it up. Asked around and a solid copper 8mm pipe was suggested to be best, as it would give some flex for lining up the pipes. Fitted the new copper pipe, switched on fridge, covered connections in soapy water and hey presto, no more leakes or gas smell.

The orange pipe that was there was over 20yrs old, and the connections were made via a small section of 8mm pipe stuck inside and jubileed on. I'm glad I found this and fixed it!

thanks all!

G

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Update,

Checked the valve to the gas control knob with soapy water, sure enough it was bubbling away. The connection from the steel gas pipe was made through an orange gas pipe, which I'm told is not the best way to set it up. Asked around and a solid copper 8mm pipe was suggested to be best, as it would give some flex for lining up the pipes. Fitted the new copper pipe, switched on fridge, covered connections in soapy water and hey presto, no more leakes or gas smell.

The orange pipe that was there was over 20yrs old, and the connections were made via a small section of 8mm pipe stuck inside and jubileed on. I'm glad I found this and fixed it!

thanks all!

G

Well done, its always good to hear of a good result.

Jim
:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back