gas regulator

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ukbill, Dec 22, 2012.

1. ukbill

ukbill Funster

if i need to change a gas bottle in europe will the regulator on my mh be ok for the bottle or will i need to change the regulator the 1 in my gas cupboard is attached to a fixed solid pipe i have no problem changing it if need but will my propane reg ok i dont expect to have to change i have 2 full bottles but in case i do advice needed

2. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Assuming its a wall mounted reg then no it won't need changing but your pigtail will almost certainly need either changing or an adapter fitting to the bottle end to suit. The pigtail is the rubber hose that goes from the cylinder to the reg.

D.

3. ukbill

ukbill Funster

thx dave

4. Incamania

Incamania Funster

Hi
    First Job
    Replace your rubber pigtail with a stainless steel one, this prevents any malfunction of the regulator due to 'juices' from the rubber entering the regulator, this happened to me and to several people I know personally. I also carry a spare regulator, but that was given me when I had my troubles by a very kind and embarrassed dealer.
    There are two types of pigtails I know of, one for propane connections and one for butane, they are not interchangeable, so if you intend to use propane and butane you'll need both.
    Far better to research your options before travelling as I found it difficult to source the items when away from base, even in UK.
    Try the various Clubs' websites they produce Technical Leaflets giving guidance.
    Hope this helps.:thumb:
    ATB
    Brian

5. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

Can you explain a bit more Dave :BigGrin: Here in Spain Brits seem to buy a Spanish bottle which needs a Spanish regulator pushed onto the bottle,then there's a pigtail.
    But,surely you need to by-pass your wall mounted regulator if you go down this route.Or is there a Spanish bottle that doesn't need a regulator to make it work ?

Mike.

6. Larby

Larby Funster

I have asked myself the same question. I believe the answer to be buy a foreign gas botttle, buy an ADAPTER (not regulator) that screws /clips into/onto the bottle. Then instead of using screw in pigtail (Calor) you use a pigtail that has same coupling to regulator but a the other end fits the foreign ADAPTER.
    I may be wrong but that's how I figured it out. Nearly ran out of Calor on 1st trip to France and had to come up with a plan.
    I also am interested in other suggestions.

A French Clip on adapter with screw-on facility for your pigtail
    http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/caravan/gas/gas_regulators/clip-on_gas_regulators_and_adaptors.aspx

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  7. ukbill

ukbill Funster

jesus this is a mine field why don't they just bring them all into line with each other its the same changing guttering this dont fit that that dont fit this grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Like Like x 1
  8. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi Bill
    Yes you need an Adapter on the Spanish bottle NOT a REGULATER, some people I know run it to an outside BBQ point and run it in backwards if you see what I mean but that will go against your Insurance if anything goes wrong with the feed, you can buy Adapters over here from various sources and piping to suit, then run it to your Regulator. Pete :Smile::Smile:

9. mdixon

mdixon Read Only Funster

Can you use GAS low (or equivilent) - with European adaptor??

10. MikeandCarolyn

Right-the picture is becoming clearer :BigGrin: I see that the adapter for the Spanish bottle is £12,ish-but I bought a Spanish regulator from a Dutch guy here at Villasol for €4 :BigGrin: obviously that's why people here do it that way. Most also seem to feed the gas through the BBQ point.
    I have a 'fixed tank' so don't use a pigtail-when we get home I intend to have a 'T' piece with a pigtail connection plumbed into my gas feed after the regulator with the necessary valves to isolate my fixed tank system so that I can use a Spanish bottle when on site for a long time. :thumb:
    This thread has helped me get it all straight in my head-more or less :Rofl1:

Mike

11. Incamania

Incamania Funster

Hi Bill
    If you have a Repso bottle or a bottle with a similar fitting you will be able to source a straight through adapter, which has a gas control switch on it, from a Repso dealer, about 15 euros if my memory serves me correct. Then, go to a supermarket and on the camping gaz stand you should find a camping gaz valve which screws directly in to the top of a camping gaz cylinder.
    This valve will also screw directly into the top of the Repso straight through adaptor, but, you will then need the 'Butane' pigtail I referred to in my original reply to connect up to your fixed regulator.
    If you land up as I did short of gas, buy a camping gaz bottle, use the valve I referred to above together with the 'butane' pigtail, connect to the fixed regulator in your van and you're up and running. Camping gaz is not the cheapest but what price a ruined holiday?
    The above bits of kit have given me peace of mind for many years now.:thumb:
    ATB
    Brian

12. ukbill

ukbill Funster

thanks everyone for ya advice hopeful;ly i wont need to change it but best i know how to if i do thanks again all

13. aba

aba

the easiest way if your regulator is not fitted on the tank is to use an auto change over valve.
    connect the tank to one side and the pigtail for the spare bottle to the other side.
    then when you select the bottle the tank is disconnected automatically.

the other option for those with fixed tanks is this http://www.gaslowdirect.com/Gaslow-Reserve-Cylinder-Connection-Hose

14. MikeandCarolyn

Brilliant!! 2nd option-no plumbing to be done,just £31 to Gaslow and job's a goodun :BigGrin:

Thx Mike :thumb:
    Ah,just seen the problem with that-my tank would have to be empty for that to work.
    So,I'll look at option one.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  15. grasscutter

grasscutter Funster Life Member

Please be aware that you cannot run gas into the BBQ point through an adaptor. It must go through a regulator to achieve the correct pressure.
    I know lots of people who run through the BBQ point with a Regulator and it works OK.
    If you do not understand the process do not attempt it.
    You are risking yours and others lives.

• Like Like x 2
  16. aba

aba

where is the problem you would only [HI]actually need[/HI] to use an external bottle if you had run out.

although i do see where you are coming from.
    if your regulator is fitted on the tank then you may need a low pressure change over and a bottle mounted regulator for the extra bottle but that all depends on how the tank was fitted in the first place.

17. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I believe in most cases you can run with two regulators in the gas line, for example one on the bottle and one on the bulkhead, the end pressure then becoming whichever regulator is set to the lowest. Obviously you would not routinely want to do this but in an emergency it should work.
    What you musn't do is run without a regulator at all, as in using an adaptor to connect an external bottle to a bbq point as then you will get a flamethrower effect from any gas appliance, very dangerous.

18. peter marshall

peter marshall

Yes that's what I was getting at in my earlier post, try explaining that to your Ins Co, we all know what the answer would be. :Sad::Sad::Sad: Pete