LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
if i need to change a gas bottle in europe will the regulator on my mh be ok for the bottle or will i need to change the regulator the 1 in my gas cupboard is attached to a fixed solid pipe i have no problem changing it if need but will my propane reg ok i dont expect to have to change i have 2 full bottles but in case i do advice needed

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Assuming its a wall mounted reg then no it won't need changing but your pigtail will almost certainly need either changing or an adapter fitting to the bottle end to suit. The pigtail is the rubber hose that goes from the cylinder to the reg.

D.

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
thx dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Incamania

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Preston
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2002
Hi
First Job
Replace your rubber pigtail with a stainless steel one, this prevents any malfunction of the regulator due to 'juices' from the rubber entering the regulator, this happened to me and to several people I know personally. I also carry a spare regulator, but that was given me when I had my troubles by a very kind and embarrassed dealer.
There are two types of pigtails I know of, one for propane connections and one for butane, they are not interchangeable, so if you intend to use propane and butane you'll need both.
Far better to research your options before travelling as I found it difficult to source the items when away from base, even in UK.
Try the various Clubs' websites they produce Technical Leaflets giving guidance.
Hope this helps.:thumb:
ATB
Brian

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Assuming its a wall mounted reg then no it won't need changing but your pigtail will almost certainly need either changing or an adapter fitting to the bottle end to suit. The pigtail is the rubber hose that goes from the cylinder to the reg.

D.

Can you explain a bit more Dave ::bigsmile: Here in Spain Brits seem to buy a Spanish bottle which needs a Spanish regulator pushed onto the bottle,then there's a pigtail.
But,surely you need to by-pass your wall mounted regulator if you go down this route.Or is there a Spanish bottle that doesn't need a regulator to make it work ?

Mike.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
if i need to change a gas bottle in europe will the regulator on my mh be ok for the bottle or will i need to change the regulator the 1 in my gas cupboard is attached to a fixed solid pipe i have no problem changing it if need but will my propane reg ok i dont expect to have to change i have 2 full bottles but in case i do advice needed

I have asked myself the same question. I believe the answer to be buy a foreign gas botttle, buy an ADAPTER (not regulator) that screws /clips into/onto the bottle. Then instead of using screw in pigtail (Calor) you use a pigtail that has same coupling to regulator but a the other end fits the foreign ADAPTER.
I may be wrong but that's how I figured it out. Nearly ran out of Calor on 1st trip to France and had to come up with a plan.
I also am interested in other suggestions.

A French Clip on adapter with screw-on facility for your pigtail

GW01-1673_lge.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
jesus this is a mine field why don't they just bring them all into line with each other its the same changing guttering this dont fit that that dont fit this grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Bill
Yes you need an Adapter on the Spanish bottle NOT a REGULATER, some people I know run it to an outside BBQ point and run it in backwards if you see what I mean but that will go against your Insurance if anything goes wrong with the feed, you can buy Adapters over here from various sources and piping to suit, then run it to your Regulator. Pete :Smile::Smile:

mdixon

Free Member
Nov 7, 2012
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner T660
Exp
I have asked myself the same question. I believe the answer to be buy a foreign gas botttle, buy an ADAPTER (not regulator) that screws /clips into/onto the bottle. Then instead of using screw in pigtail (Calor) you use a pigtail that has same coupling to regulator but a the other end fits the foreign ADAPTER.
I may be wrong but that's how I figured it out. Nearly ran out of Calor on 1st trip to France and had to come up with a plan.
I also am interested in other suggestions.

A French Clip on adapter with screw-on facility for your pigtail
GW01-1673_lge.jpg

Can you use GAS low (or equivilent) - with European adaptor??

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Bill
Yes you need an Adapter on the Spanish bottle NOT a REGULATER, some people I know run it to an outside BBQ point and run it in backwards if you see what I mean but that will go against your Insurance if anything goes wrong with the feed, you can buy Adapters over here from various sources and piping to suit, then run it to your Regulator. Pete :Smile::Smile:

Right-the picture is becoming clearer ::bigsmile: I see that the adapter for the Spanish bottle is £12,ish-but I bought a Spanish regulator from a Dutch guy here at Villasol for €4 ::bigsmile: obviously that's why people here do it that way. Most also seem to feed the gas through the BBQ point.
I have a 'fixed tank' so don't use a pigtail-when we get home I intend to have a 'T' piece with a pigtail connection plumbed into my gas feed after the regulator with the necessary valves to isolate my fixed tank system so that I can use a Spanish bottle when on site for a long time. :thumb:
This thread has helped me get it all straight in my head-more or less :ROFLMAO:

Mike

Incamania

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Preston
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2002
Hi Bill
If you have a Repso bottle or a bottle with a similar fitting you will be able to source a straight through adapter, which has a gas control switch on it, from a Repso dealer, about 15 euros if my memory serves me correct. Then, go to a supermarket and on the camping gaz stand you should find a camping gaz valve which screws directly in to the top of a camping gaz cylinder.
This valve will also screw directly into the top of the Repso straight through adaptor, but, you will then need the 'Butane' pigtail I referred to in my original reply to connect up to your fixed regulator.
If you land up as I did short of gas, buy a camping gaz bottle, use the valve I referred to above together with the 'butane' pigtail, connect to the fixed regulator in your van and you're up and running. Camping gaz is not the cheapest but what price a ruined holiday?
The above bits of kit have given me peace of mind for many years now.:thumb:
ATB
Brian

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
thanks everyone for ya advice hopeful;ly i wont need to change it but best i know how to if i do thanks again all

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Right-the picture is becoming clearer ::bigsmile: I see that the adapter for the Spanish bottle is £12,ish-but I bought a Spanish regulator from a Dutch guy here at Villasol for €4 ::bigsmile: obviously that's why people here do it that way. Most also seem to feed the gas through the BBQ point.
I have a 'fixed tank' so don't use a pigtail-when we get home I intend to have a 'T' piece with a pigtail connection plumbed into my gas feed after the regulator with the necessary valves to isolate my fixed tank system so that I can use a Spanish bottle when on site for a long time. :thumb:
This thread has helped me get it all straight in my head-more or less :ROFLMAO:

Mike

the easiest way if your regulator is not fitted on the tank is to use an auto change over valve.
connect the tank to one side and the pigtail for the spare bottle to the other side.
then when you select the bottle the tank is disconnected automatically.

the other option for those with fixed tanks is this Link Removed

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
the easiest way if your regulator is not fitted on the tank is to use an auto change over valve.
connect the tank to one side and the pigtail for the spare bottle to the other side.
then when you select the bottle the tank is disconnected automatically.

the other option for those with fixed tanks is this Link Removed

Brilliant!! 2nd option-no plumbing to be done,just £31 to Gaslow and job's a goodun ::bigsmile:

Thx Mike :thumb:
Ah,just seen the problem with that-my tank would have to be empty for that to work.
So,I'll look at option one.

Last edited:

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Please be aware that you cannot run gas into the BBQ point through an adaptor. It must go through a regulator to achieve the correct pressure.
I know lots of people who run through the BBQ point with a Regulator and it works OK.
If you do not understand the process do not attempt it.
You are risking yours and others lives.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Brilliant!! 2nd option-no plumbing to be done,just £31 to Gaslow and job's a goodun ::bigsmile:

Thx Mike :thumb:
Ah,just seen the problem with that-my tank would have to be empty for that to work.
So,I'll look at option one.

where is the problem you would only [HI]actually need[/HI] to use an external bottle if you had run out.

although i do see where you are coming from.
if your regulator is fitted on the tank then you may need a low pressure change over and a bottle mounted regulator for the extra bottle but that all depends on how the tank was fitted in the first place.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I believe in most cases you can run with two regulators in the gas line, for example one on the bottle and one on the bulkhead, the end pressure then becoming whichever regulator is set to the lowest. Obviously you would not routinely want to do this but in an emergency it should work.
What you musn't do is run without a regulator at all, as in using an adaptor to connect an external bottle to a bbq point as then you will get a flamethrower effect from any gas appliance, very dangerous.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
I believe in most cases you can run with two regulators in the gas line, for example one on the bottle and one on the bulkhead, the end pressure then becoming whichever regulator is set to the lowest. Obviously you would not routinely want to do this but in an emergency it should work.
What you musn't do is run without a regulator at all, as in using an adaptor to connect an external bottle to a bbq point as then you will get a flamethrower effect from any gas appliance, very dangerous.

Yes that's what I was getting at in my earlier post, try explaining that to your Ins Co, we all know what the answer would be. :Sad::Sad::Sad: Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back