Gas Regulator / Oven help Please (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We have never been happy with the heat output in our gas oven. It does the job but takes a long time to get there.The temperature controls go from 1 to 9 but the gas flame never rises any more after number 4 .
Could this be down to our gas regulator ?

If so i would like to replace the regulator which is a German GDK 30mb .
I would like to replace it with a( Link Removed) type regulator but i am confused on what to get as there seems to be two pressure levels 30 and 37 mb. Can i get the higher 37 mb and maybe solve the oven problem with a bit more pressure.
If anyone can advise , fire away.
Ralph

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i thought the same with our RV oven, but the flame is the same height on all settings.

its the point the flame drops to maintain the temp required which is set by the control knob

the higher the temp need, the longer the flame will burn

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Cant help much regarding the changing of your regulator but mine is a German 50 millibar joby. The cooker rings are better and the water heater gets hotter quicker. The Truma heater is much hotter.The downside is that when I replaced the fridge recently I had to get a reducer for the fridge as it was only a 30 millibar jet. Am not sure if its possible to just increase your regulator size. My van is an import with everything running at 50 millibar.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
You don't say whether you are using Butane or Propane ..

if the latter then 37mb is the correct pressure .. Butane is used at 30mb

Thanks for that Jim, we only use Propane.

As i said before the current regulator is 30mb so i will change it to a 37mb and see if that makes a difference to the oven.

Thanks....... Ralph

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
A point to remember with all MH ovens is that you have to leave them on for at least 20 minutes before putting anything in there.
Have lost count of how many times have heard people with American ovens say they cant get on with them and have them replaced.
It takes at least 20 minutes for the thermostat to settle down at a constant temperature. Have baked cakes and done roast dinners in mine with no problems burning anything.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
You can always buy one of Broken Link Removedto test to see if the oven is getting up to temp, you may have a faulty thermostat.

When we first had our new van we had the opposite the racks glowed red, we had the gas engineer down under warranty and when we took the oven out the thermostat was sitting on the out side so no wonder it never worked :ROFLMAO:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi Ralph & Bev,

Our Smev oven seems to take longer than any oven w've had before, so as mentioned above, we let it heat up first, then cook whatever, usually for about 10-15 mins longer than normal.
We use Autogas from a bulk tank, and have a 30Mb regulator.

Regards,

Jock.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
We tend to use our oven for storing our Halogen oven in, great bit of kit that gets a lot of use whereas we never bothered using the gas oven before:thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We use our oven a lot, and as someone has already mentioned, you have to pre-heat it. You can tell when it reaches the right temperature as the flame will go down.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
if you are thinking of going up to a 37mb regulator check all the labels in the oven / fridge / hob as they will tell you what pressure they will accept for both butane and propane.
should be just inside the oven door either on the side or rear of inside the fridge and possibly under the hob or just on the front control panel.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Ours is a Smev oven too Jock . I realise your supposed to leave it to heat up before using it Snowbird but I dont when only warming things up , or it takes even longer.
Plus when you open it to put your pie in all the heat comes out and your back to square one :shout:
Its just not as hot as it should /could be. Im sure. We are going to try the regulator thing Ralph mentioned earlier. Though as Aba said we will check the labels to be on the safe side.

Ralph cooks on the cadac outside in the Spring, Summer and Autumn and i only realy use the oven in the winter , but it drives me mad. Being the one doing all the inside cooking :winky:
The flame is the same at 4 as it is at 9 and doesn't go up or down (when at the correct temp)
just stays at the 4 level.
Warming up one of my meat and tattie pies takes an age.
In fact if we know we are eating something like that , we dont keep it in the fridge on the way to our destination. That way its not so cold , to have to warm up , when we get there:ROFLMAO:
It could just be me , of course ,being used to a bells and whistles electric fan oven at home.:Blush:
Bev

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
does your flame come on full and then reduce to a lower flame

if answer is comes on low and stays there its

either a blockage of failed flame failure device
in line between injector and gas supply
(at the burner end of supply pipe from oven control tap/regulo)

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
When i light it at full , Bill , which is no 9. It doesnt start to turn down till i get to 4 , then it turns down.
If it turn it up, the flame doesn't get any higher from no 4 up to no 9.
Im sure we will get it sorted out one way or another:roflmto:

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Bev
You have probably hit the nail on the head saying you have a fan assisted electic oven at home. We had a Belling one at a house we lived in years ago and it cooked almost as quick as a microwave, gas ovens just do not compare for speed of cooking. We could do a 14lb Turken in about an hour and a half in ours!!

Pete

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
We are thinking of putting a smev oven in our Hymer, are these ovens not very good? what other makes could we fit? anyone got one for sale?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We are thinking of putting a smev oven in our Hymer, are these ovens not very good? what other makes could we fit? anyone got one for sale?
Hi there,

Your post has just reminded me, that when we first got out Hymer MH with the Smev oven fitted, I soon realised how crappy the grill was, as I do like my toast.
I contacted the Hymer trained workshop manager at Camper UK.
He explained that the Germans tended not to cook in their MHs very much, hence few German built MHs to be found with ovens installed.
He also explained that Smev ovens and grills spec'd for the UK market, were more efficient than those spec'd for the European market. Whether he was referring to the size of the jet or not, I can't remember, as it was a long time ago. Sorry. :Blush:
However, on that theory, as ours is an import, and is perhaps spec'd for Europe.

Regards,

Jock.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I think you will find the 30 mbar regulator is the Euro spec one and 37 mbar is English, there is a new directive that all new units will comply to the 30 mbar one

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back