Gas problems (1 Viewer)

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
When we arrived at Peterborough the other week,I realised I had greatly reduced pressure on all my gas appliances,to the extent the fire wouldn't even light.Next morning,without any effort on my part,it was all working again!This weekend we are at York and the same thing happened again.As we are going to France in 2 weeks I really need to sort it.My question is,can it be anything other than the regulator?My set up is that I have a cylinder fitted under the fan and fill up at the pumps.It was all fitted by Autogas 2000 in Thirsk but unfortunately they are now closed until Tuesday.I was going to drive the short journey to their workshop from here in Yorkbut will struggle to get there before we set off for France.If it's just the regulator I can buy one and get it sorted.Any advice appreciated.

May 1, 2015
Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
Rapido C86 Auto
Exp
Since 2014
Are you using Butane or Propane, if its Butane that could be your problem as it doesn't work at low temperatures - below 4 degrees I think.
Maybe night time temp was below 4 degrees rising above that in the morning.

Patrick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Where did you last fill up. If UK it will have been 100% propane, if Spain then perhaps 30% propane and 70% butane leading to symptoms you have experienced.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Run your gas down it's a bit warmer today then fill up think you will find it will be OK when you get sum propane in the system
I would top up firs to see if that fixes it first before buying a new regator
Or warm up the tank with the hare drier
Bill

OP
OP
Camper634
Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
Its propane,same stuff I have always used..Never had problems before even in freezing conditions.Could just be a bad batch I suppose.I think at around £30 I will replace the regulator just in case.Its the fact it comes and goes that puzzles me though

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Run your gas down it's a bit warmer today then fill up think you will find it will be OK when you get sum propane in the system
I would top up firs to see if that fixes it first before buying a new regator
Or warm up the tank with the hare drier
Bill
Source of ignition heating a gas tank. :Eeek: Are you sure. Although standing a large rabbit like animal next to the gas tank won't warm it up. Unless it rubs it hard I suppose:whistle:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Source of ignition heating a gas tank. :Eeek: Are you sure. Although standing a large rabbit like animal next to the gas tank won't warm it up. Unless it rubs it hard I suppose:whistle:
As long as there is no leeks the I don't se a problem but you could always just wate for summer :rofl: advice on her is given freely and withe the best intentions Bill

Reactions: Al1

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
There was an issue with regulators a few years back, they where apparently "gumming up" with a residue that had some connection with the material the hoses where manufactured from. It was supposed to be cured by a change to the (hose) materials. Question?. how old are your hoses?.

You will probably have to change the Regulator anyway, as they apparently dont clean.

Pete

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
There was an issue with regulators a few years back, they where apparently "gumming up" with a residue that had some connection with the material the hoses where manufactured from. It was supposed to be cured by a change to the (hose) materials. Question?. how old are your hoses?.

You will probably have to change the Regulator anyway, as they apparently dont clean.

Pete
I assume That as it is an underslung tank there will be no rubber hoses involved.

Best to speak with Chris at Autogas2000.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Was that the filler hoses or supply from the tanks to the rv?

The filler was mounted direct to the tank(s) one either side. The high pressure hose connected the Tank outlet from the Regulator to the Steel pipework, which then connected to the Copper used inside the R-V. There was another section of HP hose which connected the Pipework for the (separate) Tank for the Generator to the Generator, It seems complex I would agree, and the only reason we came come up with was to isolate the various items from vibration!, and might have had to do with not using as much copper pipe?. That was 1980`s American style!.

It was a similar system, but using only one tank on the Odessa. But the Winnebago had copper pipe throughout.

Pete

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
On my Autogas tank the regulator is fitted directly to the tank so if yours is I'm not sure if you can remove it with lpg in the tank.

OP
OP
Camper634
Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
There is a gate valve on the tank which does allow for the removal of the regulator without draining the tank.On the original regulator the fitting into the tank is bigger than 8mm.I hand an 8mm spare regulator but can I get an adaptor to reduce the tank outlet to 8mm?

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Is any of the pipework made of rubber hose? One of the problems of gloopy residue blocking the pipes was due to a reaction with rubber hoses. Flexible stainless steel piping is recommended as a replacement.

OP
OP
Camper634
Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
No it's all solid copper pipe.I see you can now buy filters to fit inline between the tank and the regulator.More expense

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back