LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
While in Spain my gas alarm went of twice, so i got on my hands and knees to smell for gas nothing it could be a faulty alarm or a leak, how easy is it to do your own pressure test and would the item in the link be any good?

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
That's what my engineer used on our caravan but as to how easy ???

and what do you do if you find a leak ?? can you do an emergency repair ?

What the Spanish equivalent to Gas Safe ?? - - - Forget I said that it's Spain there won't be one

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
While in Spain my gas alarm went of twice, so i got on my hands and knees to smell for gas nothing it could be a faulty alarm or a leak, how easy is it to do your own pressure test and would the item in the link be any good?

Surely, the gauge you refer to will not be suitable for lpg on MH's as they operate at 37 or 50 mbar?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
The manometer you linked to is a 30mb unit.. commonly used on domestic installation. .. they alreday have a test point by the meter to take the tube...
Your installation would have to have one on the low pressure side and that particular gauge would be on the upper limit ie 30mb.. you can get ones with a larger scale which may be more suitable for checking a mh gas system...
Rather than that why not fit something like a alde leak detector in the system after the regulator.... easy to use and extremely sensitive....
Andy
http://www.alde.co.uk/itemdetails.php?itemId=53

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Surely, the gauge you refer to will not be suitable for lpg on MH's as they operate at 37 or 50 mbar?
Most new mh now standardised on 30mb I think ,but I'm sure there are still lots using the older 37mb regulator. .
Andy

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
I carry one of these which I've tested by deliberate turning the gas on when the joint was not tight. Worked a treat.

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
I have one of those fitted next to gas bottles with a tee and tap connected in pipework.To test I fill half way with water and slowly pressurise by turning gas on.Then turn gas off -if water level in gauge drops you have a leak (find with soapy water).

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
For occasional use for leak testing simply fold a piece of plastic tube & tape a ruler where one of the levels ends up. You can use any connection on the low pressure side of the regulator to do the test - a barbecue connection (one without a one way valve) will do the job if you haven't got / can't find a test point.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
We use one of these to give us a daily pressure test, as well as an indication of how full bottle are:

Used them on boats for many years, highly recommended if you have non refillable gas

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
I carry one of these which I've tested by deliberate turning the gas on when the joint was not tight. Worked a treat.

I'd worry about using this item as it does not have any certification (that I could see on the Ebay listing) to say that it will not cause an ignition scenario when looking for gas !! Put simply if your looking for a gas leak somewhere, be it in your house or MH, then you want to be sure that the equipment your using to find the leak will not cause ignition and maybe explosion of the leaking gas !!! All such equipment should have some form of Ex certification !!

Of course you can throw caution to the winds and use it, but remember the explosion on the Wirrel a couple of weeks ago ?

To demolish the average semi you'd only need to have about 8cu ft of gas spread evenly around the air in that house. To demolish the average MH would take a lot less !!

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
Is approved to CE marked, EMC Directive 89/336/EEC enough to make it safe?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back