drago35uk

Free Member
Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Probably a daft question but do you travel with the gas bottles open or closed? ie gas on or off?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
OFF we can all forget from time to time and as long as we don't have an accident thats fine, but the one time someone hits you and fractures a pipe is the one you will regret leaving it on ( if you live long enough):Sad::Sad:

Upvote 0

shortcircuit

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Funster No
My neighbour is a Fireman. Def "OFF" as if you have a serious shunt from behind (where most gas bottles are) and the pipe gets fractured you are pumping out gas which COULD ignite. They hate gas bottles on fire as someone has to risk turning it off. Not worth the risk:cry:

A few assumptions here.

Gas bottles are in side locker so forget the rear end shunt.

If I was driving a petrol car all of which tend to have the fuel tanks in the rear I would be absolutely paranoia about having a rear end shunt and the fuel line fracturing.

Its a case of evaluating the risks and some do and I don't, but that is choice

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
In respect of the OP question, I travel with gas switched on. With respect to the fridge operation, I change it to 12volts and therefore the gas flame is extinguished.

I view the risks associated with travelling with it switched on at the same level as being gassed, but its everybody to there own.

you may well feel safe carrying a box of hand genades, but why remove the safety pins.

Upvote 0

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
A few assumptions here.

Gas bottles are in side locker so forget the rear end shunt.

If I was driving a petrol car all of which tend to have the fuel tanks in the rear I would be absolutely paranoia about having a rear end shunt and the fuel line fracturing.

Its a case of evaluating the risks and some do and I don't, but that is choice

Not all shunts are rear ended, hence the comments in my previous post.

Motorhomes are regularly driven on motorways and occasionally involved in accidents, personally I feel safer knowing its switched off because if an accident did occur I would be less worried about any gas escape adding to the situation especially if for any reason we were trapped in the vehicle.

At the end of the day, motorhome drivers are usually very careful - its the other idiots we have to watch out for and the choices we make are individual

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
John from CMR who fitted the Gaslow system to both my vans told me that in the event of a fire in your vehicle that is attended by the fire brigade, they always record whether the bottle(s) were on or off. If on then your insurance claim goes up the spout as well as your beloved motorhome...

... I do still sometimes forget to turn the gas off...

JJ

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I always travel with the gas OFF.DOESN'T NEED TO BE ON AS THE FRIDGE FREEZER AUTOSENSES AND SWITCHES TO 12V.
I got 3 young ankle-biters to think of when safety is concerned.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back