May 7, 2015
Ulldecona Catalunya Spain
Funster No
MH
Hobby 6M
Exp
Since 4 months
Hi

I am very new to motor homing, bought our German made Hobby in October, travelled around north eastern Spain a bit since then. We are enjoying the experience very much so far.

I live in Spain, but I am planning a prolonged trip around France this coming spring and summer.

I am no spring chicken and changing the very heavy gas bottles in a cramped situation is becoming a bit of a chore.

Thinking of installing a refillable gas bottle, which I believe can be refilled at plenty of filling stations, however I have heard that domestic use of this gas is illegal in France.

Has anyone experienced difficulty in refilling these bottles in France or anywhere else for that matter.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Have 2 Alugas bottles fitted in my locker with an outside filling point in the valance. Never had any problems filling anywhere in Europe especially France.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
We returned from six weeks around France at the end of October. During that trip we filled up a couple of times at filling stations with no trouble at all. We have an under slung tank fitted. I do not think they would know if the gas was for domestic or vehicle use.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
We have a gas it system with an in locker fill point and have had no problems in the UK, Italy, Spain or France.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I am always careful not to get gas and diesel from the same filling station at the same time. To do so is advertising that the gas is for domestic use, probably a bit ott but I have not had any problems filling anywhere.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We have gas-it refillable cylinders and external fill point and yes, we had a refusal this year. We called into some backwater Esso petrol station in France and after a bit of shouting and arm waving by the owner we got the message that we weren't allowed to fill. A few kilometres along the road we came to a bigger Super U garage and had no problem filling up.

Not had a problem before or since. In Spain we have even been offered adapters before we bought our own. I think some individuals and company's interpret the rules differently. As long as you do not leave it until you are desperate to refill, there will always be another GPL garage not too far away.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I am always careful not to get gas and diesel from the same filling station at the same time. To do so is advertising that the gas is for domestic use, probably a bit ott but I have not had any problems filling anywhere.
Don't see why you don't fill both diesel and gas at same time as lpg vehicles also have conventional fuel tanks as well

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
France, Spain, and Portugal. since 1999. BIG fixed tanks, never been refused, in fact Most welcomed.

Pete

Deleted User
Been asked for the "certificate" once (attendant didn't even read it) but like most above have never been refused in France.

I would recommend an external filler though as it takes away the suspicion that your filling "normal" bottles. (Just my opinion before I'm ripped a new un)

:xgrin:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Only place I have ever nearly been stopped from filling is the UK !
Just told them it is for my on board genny.. 'Oh thats ok then' .. job done !

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I think it is safe to say, in answer to the OP - very occasionally you might get turned away, but it's certainly rare and in Europe there is somewhere else not to far away. The pros definitely outway the cons when it comes to refillables. Not dropping heavy cylinders on your toe for one thing :xeek:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We called into some backwater Esso petrol station in France and after a bit of shouting and arm waving by the owner we got the message that we weren't allowed to fill. A few kilometres along the road we came to a bigger Super U garage and had no problem filling up.

Or maybe he had run out of GLP? We thought we were being refused and I took the certificate into the filling station (UK) only to be told they were waiting for a delivery :) We've filled up at that filling station since with no problems.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I think it is safe to say, in answer to the OP - very occasionally you might get turned away, but it's certainly rare and in Europe there is somewhere else not to far away. The pros definitely outway the cons when it comes to refillables. Not dropping heavy cylinders on your toe for one thing :xeek:
good grief , what would the health and safety gestapo say !! no steel toe capped boots:xrofl:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Very few diesel/lpg dual fuel vehicles (if any) I believe converting a diesel engine to run on lpg is difficult compared to a petrol engine.
In Thailand nearly all commercial vehicls run on either LPG or natural gas. It did surprise me first time I came across it. We were on a bus and it pulled into a big NG filling station all passengers had to get off for 20 min while they refueled, all the luggage lockers on one side had several large gas tanks.

barista

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato based coach built
Exp
Don't believe a CI engine will run on LPG!
I was only half right as they need to use diesel as well seemingly, couldn't understand how compressing lpg would make it burn. Works best on older mechanically injected engines hence the Thai commercials I suspect.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Ring "Gas-it" and ask him for advice on fitting a two 11kg bottle system with an external fill point in the skirt..
Get an order in and it will all be on your doorstep within 3 working days..
1 hour later you will have it fitted and leak tested and be off to fill it up...
And never look back again.
We have filled up in Greece, Germany, Denmark, Holland, France and Spain !! Never been refused...
Mitch.(y)(y)(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back