Gas Low Gauges

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Tony0851, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Tony0851

Tony0851 Read Only Funster

We installed the gaslow system (2 11kg Cylinders) and the gauges have never worked. i would like to know how much gas we have in the cylinders but cant find a good accurate method of checking. I looked at the Dometic pen type tester, to be honest wasnt impressed at all. Is the good old pick it up and give it a shake still the best method of checking.

2. Spenders

Spenders

I share your pain....

I have a refillable system and the gauge seems to show full all the time, or I use very little gas!

Is it a big problem though? If in doubt, just fill up before you go and then you're sure you've got a full bottle! On a standard bottle you don't have a gauge so could only geusstimate from weight or feel when shaking the bottle, but you wouldn't be able to refill.

Simon

3. HymerB544

HymerB544 Funster

gaslow gauges

Hi, we have 2 x 11kg gas low bottles too and I never rely on the gauges as they seem to show nearly full for ages even during heavy use then empty but still with some in! So now as soon as one is definitely empty I make sure I fill up asap. Crude but effective!:thumb:

4. sciac2001

sciac2001 Funster

I have the same setup. 2 x 11kg bottles. Both gauges showed full when we picked the camper up and one of the gauges did show use and we topped up accordingly. The gauge still registered at the bottom end of the green after we topped up. I gave it a little tap or three and it has gone up to register full.

I won't completely rely on the accuracy of these gauges though. The Calor ones were the same for me when we used them. They showed full one minute, completely empty the next.

I will have an idea of how juch gas I've used and fill up accordingly.

5. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I have Alugas.

The gauges read full until they are half empty, and then it goes down from there. All right when you know, otherwise you might think you were 3/4 full when you are actually less than half full. The design apparently causes this effect so they are all the same.

6. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I asked about those apparently they don't work because the bits inside confuse the ultrasonic ping.

7. kglblue

kglblue Funster

Gas low

We had the system fitted by Van Bitz last month, we got 10% off all the parts/equipment cos we are Motorhome fun members, really pleased about that. Any way the man said we are not to worry if the gauge doesn't register full straight away, we can jig or tap the bottles to make it register, or leave it, cos as we drive about and the van corners etc. the gauges will start to work.

Just found out there's a garage near Truro selling LPG at 68p a litre, the garage is Newalls. Looks like it will be much cheaper than buying the refilled 3.9 kg bottles.

We had to pay a £20 deposit on each bottle, but when I took them back for a deposit refund he offered £5 per bottle. I declined I'd rather give them away. If anyones interested I live in Cornwall near St. Agnes.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

We have the same had it for 2 years now no problem even works well in the Alps during winter. Stays on full until half used then drops gradually into the red.

9. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

We got Gas-lo, or what ever they are called...

We went on our trip round wales full up, day after arriving at Jim`s site, they both showed empty on the gauges...

Panic.. :Eeek::Sad:..... Ambilkate lent us a full spare bottle.... still not run out on the gas - lo ones... and had the central heating on auto at 10 deg since we have been home and still not run out... cant be far of it...

Gauges aint worth a light.... :Blush:

Anybody want to buy a full propane bottle "Cheap"... :Wink::BigGrin:

10. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

As at says in the instructions, the Gaslow gauge reads full until the bottle is half empty (or is that half full?), it then progressively drops until there is about quarter left.
    We have done a whole summer weekend with an 'empty' 11kg Gaslow bottle!

What is it about us blokes and instructions?!:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Bring it round and I'll give you a fiver for it..:thumb:

Allan

• Like Like x 1
  12. Allanm

Allanm Funster

We have a Gas It system fitted to our van. A 20 litre underfloor tank with a contents gauge fitted to the dash. It has 9 led's, 8 green, one red for low warning. It seems very accurate, as soon as the red LED lights, I know I have 2 litres of gas left, time for a fill up of 18 litres.
    The only downside is that the gauge only registers when the engine is running.
    Allan

13. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

In colder weather just look for where the condensation is forming on the outside of the gas bottle - that's where the (colder) liquid gas has settled inside. Alternatively you can feel the side of the cylinder.

The gauges are useless - I've had one showing empty when it's half full.

14. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

Same as above with the Gaslow gauges.
    Why can't they make a gauge that actually works?
    We have just one 6k Gaslow and a back up butane. dumpy so would like to know when it's nearly empty to plan to be near a garage to fill up if nearly empty.
    Make me think less of running out of gas and more time enjoying our holiday!
    Less garages here in the Algarve and even less in spain when we travel back home than
    in the UK by the look of it.

15. Tony0851

Tony0851 Read Only Funster

i agree the gauges are useless you can take both gauges completely off the cylinders and they are still say full.

16. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

as learnt years ago on old calor bottles, a few light taps with a spanner moving up the side of the cylinder will tell you the level of the liquid. you need sensitive hearing though so not always ideal for everyone

17. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

I got our tank from them too-they were FES Autogas at that time.
    I didn't get the in-vehicle guage at the time,so ,currently have to crawl under van to read guage :BigGrin:

I'm thinking of getting the guage now-as far as I can see,the only reason you have to have engine running is because of where they've taken a 12v supply from-is that correct ??

Mike

18. Allanm

Allanm Funster

I guess thats right, it was fitted from new so wired like that from the factory, If I had fitted it, I think I would have wired it in via a switch, but, we drive daily so I see the state of the tank regularly, and after a while, you get to know your gas consumption.

Allan

19. SPUD'N'T

SPUD'N'T Funster

we also have gaslow and our gauges are useless, I have 1 bottle turned on and 1 turned off when 1 runs out i turn the other on then fill the empty one up asap, it's worked for us since 2008 !