Gas leaking

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Branston1080, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Branston1080

Branston1080 Funster

Dear all

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Returning back to the van tonight there was a distinct smell of gas. I opened up an air flow and then opened the gas locker to turn the gas bottle off. I could hear a faint leak on the screw in end ( sorry, I'm sure there is a technical term).
    I had changed bottles the night before the connection seemed fine. I unscrewed and re screwed the connection, again could still hear a leak. I repeated 4/5 times but was not confident it wasn't leaking..

So I've changed bottles, I can't hear a leak. I'm still new to this and wondered if anyone had any thoughts or suggestions. Any tips on how to ensure I make a good connection?
    I have got a carbon monoxide alarm - not sure if that helps in this case?

Thank you in advance:thumb:

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Yes.

check the face of connection for any marks or scores.. also check the female part on the bottle. any roughness will cause a leak.. If that's ok, tighten the nut by hand, then about another 1/4 turn with a spanner.. make up a solution of water and washing up liquid .. you only need a few drops.. turn on the gas, pour some it over the connection.. watch for soapy bubbles..

If you see bubbles, try tightening just a little more.. but don't over tighten... if it still leaks inspect again .. it's possible to polish out small marks on the the male connection.. but don't use anything too abrasive.. you may need a new pig tail..

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  3. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Carbon monoxide alarm would not work in this case, you would need a gas alarm,mounted low down as gas is heavier than air.

If its a propane bottle it could be that the connecting face is damaged, and this seems likely as your other bottle is OK. I would take it back to the supplier if nearby and tell them about it and insist they change it.

4. Snitrats

Snitrats Funster

We have had 2 faulty 6kg lights recently. When the plastic bung unscrewed the gas was escaping despite the valves being closed.
    If it leaks, get it changed.:thumb:

5. Branston1080

Branston1080 Funster

Top tip

I've tried the washing up liquid test, bubbles to start, another turn on the spanner, no bubbles.

Many thanks, feel happier that I'm not about to gas myself over night!!

You funsters are great:thanks:

• Like Like x 1
  6. aba

aba

i had this with the bottle mounted regulator that came with my van so started to carry a spray bottle in the gas locker with a washing up liquid solution in it to squirt on the connection when changing the bottle.

after a while i changed to a cleese bulkhead mounted regulator and gaslow easy-fit stainless pigtail which has a silicone/rubber seal since then no gas leaks and you dont need a spanner to change the bottle.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

you can buy leak detection fluid in aeresol cans under a fiver at any plumbers merchants

8. JohnM

JohnM Read Only Funster

Very good advice couldent of said it better myself.:thumb:

9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

indeed... we used it at work..

.. but if you read the safety data sheet it is hazardous.. goggles and gloves should be worn when using ... water and Fairy is a lot safer.. and a lot cheaper... :Laughing: