Gas it 11kg

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by jb0371, Feb 7, 2013.

1. jb0371

jb0371 Read Only Funster

Finally took the plunge and ordered an 11kg Gas it bottle system for £170, to be delivered Monday (should be tomorrow but not convinant for me). Already new that gas it was cheaper than gaslow, but just looked online and coudnt find a gaslow system for less than £245.

So if you want to spend an extra £75 purely for a yellow bottle then crack on:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

I must admit the price difference and the fact GAS-it are close to home swung it for me.:thumb:

3. busby

busby Funster

I just bought an adaptor that screws in my calor gas cylinder which enables me to refill at lpg pump. Only fill it when its completely empty so that i know how many litres to put in to conform with the 80% regulation. Cost me £30. Works for me. BUSBY.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Still illegal and unsafe :Eeek:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Snitrats

Snitrats Funster

£179. for gaslow at Hamilton supplies & free del.
    p.s. I have no connection with them , but just bought mine from there :thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  6. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Illegal? I don't know what law you are referring to on this?
    Unsafe? Totally agree.

Just hope I am not near anyone doing this when it goes wrong :Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  7. jb0371

jb0371 Read Only Funster

Cheapest out there for a gaslow system, but still a tenner more expensive, with gas it you get free del and a free bottle of leak detector spray. Although the spray is a bit naff as I am not sure the garage forecourt are going to be happy with the explanation that you are checking for leaks as you fill up the bottle for the first time:Doh:

8. Snitrats

Snitrats Funster

not sure the garage forecourt are going to be happy with the explanation that you are checking for leaks as you fill up the bottle for the first time:Doh:
    That's my worry too, the first fill up :hardhat::hardhat:

• Like Like x 1
  9. JohnM

JohnM Read Only Funster

When i bought our gaslow system 4yrs ago i was told to put around a ltr or so lpg in, drive of the forecourt check for leaks.If you can change a gas bottle you can fit a gaslow kit.Only hard bit is fitting filler i chose to fit inside locker on this van never need to fill up outside uk so no probs.

10. jb0371

jb0371 Read Only Funster

If your not sure about the your fitting skills fill up for the first time on Saffron Lane:thumb:

11. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Taken from calorgas website:

Unlawful filling – There have been some instances of people unlawfully filling Calor cylinders. Any unauthorised person filling Calor gas cylinders is both acting unlawfully and irresponsibly and is putting themselves and members of the public at risk of serious injury or even death. Calor has taken successful court action against individuals for such unauthorised filling.

Maybe not 'illegal' but according to the above it is 'unlawful' :Eek!:

http://www.calor.co.uk/about-calor/press-centre/illegal-handling-and-scrapping-of-calor-gas-cylinders/

12. Sidney

Sidney Funster

Most know the potential problems associated with refilling LPG gas bottles. We are, as a rule, more careful in the UK so I've assumed it would be harder to do this in most UK forecourts. So how do you go about refilling your bottle/s? Do you bolt on your adapter, pull up to the pump and hook up or can you blatantly remove the bottle, place it on the ground and refill?

13. Sidney

Sidney Funster

I believe as follows... The bottles are owned by Calor so only they may refill them. That's the legal position. If you refill their bottle you're breaking the hire contract between you and Calor.

• Like Like x 2
  14. reader

reader Funster

Sidney is correct, you are only hiring the cylinders and if you check your rental agreement you will find you are breaching it

I know there is a lot of so called experts out there that think they know better than the cylinder gas companies and H&S people but if they had an accident they are not insured and neither are the people near them. Tell your insurers you are decanting with non approved equipment and see how quick they respond

How much did you pay for your van ?
    Are your families lives worth putting at risk?

For less than £200 ??

Dont say it will never happen I had over 25 years in the compressed gas business and I have seen accidents in companies that take a lot more care than motorhomers in the use of cylinders

• Like Like x 5
  15. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Managed to buy a 2 month old 11kg Alugas Cylinder yesterday a good saving on new.:thumb::thumb::thumb: He has another (collection only Scottish Borders) if anyones interested.

So now just need the bits to convert from a single to twin system.:BigGrin::BigGrin::BigGrin:

16. Snitrats

Snitrats Funster

Just about to fit Gaslow system ,reading past posts on refillable systems (not refilling Calor bottles, wouldn't touch those!) There seems to be a school of doom mongers on this subject. Has anyone ever had,or heard of any accidents causing hurt, or dangerous occurrences when using a properly installed Gaslow,Gas it or alugas system?:hardhat:

17. Sidney

Sidney Funster

Not me

18. jb0371

jb0371 Read Only Funster

Due to a pc problem at gas it, they have had to comlete my order today and using a 5% discount code from another forum the final bill is £162.70. As I have tomorrow off as well, quite happy for the pc malfunction.

19. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Had Alugas for a few years now.. Installed it in about an hour and certainly never had cause to regret spending the money

Cant say as I have seen anyone condemning either Gaslow or Alugas..
    Lots of folk condemn refilling standard bottles ( even though I did that without a problem for a couple of years before getting the Alugas.... and oddly it is often those who are not particularly technical or have any solid grounding in how gas bottles are filled who seem to have a problem with it .. Having worked next door to a Calor depot for three years I know EXACTLY how they are filled.. And watching them buggers even scared me sometimes LOL !! )

20. jb0371

jb0371 Read Only Funster

All done took me just under an hour, came with stainless bolts which is a bonus. The only extra I did was to place the gas fill pipe inside a lenght of waste water pipe just in case it wanted to rub onto anything, also to help protect the pipe from water and crud etc.

• Like Like x 1