Gas issues. Is this true or a fabrication??? (1 Viewer)

machilly

Free Member
Jan 16, 2009
Wherever I am Parked
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
5 Years
I have had the same problem, it is probably your regulator gummed up, change it, and the problem will go away.
As for all the other vaporization stuff, as someone else has said if there is gas in the bottle, it should work.
I have stainless pipes and Gaslow refillables, and had this problem now for the third time, Gaslow sent new regulator, two new bottles to my local dealer who fitted them.
Problem solved once more.

As a matter of technicalities on my Truma heating system there is apparantlya valve which monitors the level ofPropane/Butane, too much Butane in the mix and the valve closes the system down. Just though I would add that in for all the 'Techies'.

cheers me dears

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
As a matter of technicalities on my Truma heating system there is apparantlya valve which monitors the level ofPropane/Butane, too much Butane in the mix and the valve closes the system down. Just though I would add that in for all the 'Techies'.
It might be "off topic" but it explains a lot. Thanks. :thumb::thumb:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi I was under the impression that all motorhomes were designed to run on Butane or Propane?

Olley

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
As a matter of technicalities on my Truma heating system there is apparantlya valve which monitors the level ofPropane/Butane, too much Butane in the mix and the valve closes the system down.

I've never heard of such a valve and as Truma heaters (and the majority of all other gas appliances) are designed to run on Butane or Propane at 30mb, what possible purpose could it serve ... do you have any info on it ?

In 2003, the NCC announced a change in the regulation of Truma gas regulators. The standard changed from the use of /Gas Technology/0129461_62_copybottle mounted regulators to bulk-head mounted regulators and mean that instead of two pressure settings (27mbar for butane and 37mbar for propane) there would be a standard of 30 mbar for both gas types. Today Truma regulators are supplied and fitted to all major manufacturers’ vehicles in the UK.

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
I don't know the ins and outs of it but the Gas fire in my old Autoquest 270 worked with butane at far lower temps than the Truma combi will put up with.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
be a bit of a problem if you wanted to burn only butane. find it a bit hard to believe ,could be true interesting to find out more. as not all campers have fixed tanks so autogas si not used cant get my head roud it. never come across a propane only appliance before.

Drylander

Free Member
Aug 28, 2008
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 Years
Oh Dear,

:cry: Just noticed Derekfaeberwick and olley here on the same thread (again),

so beware of the sparks because there is already a lot of Gas flying about on this Topic:Eeek:!!

Off to my bunk(er)….::bigsmile:

Bob L

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
What?? sparkes flying; never, me an Derek are best mates, I would like to shake him by the thro....opps hand, I meant hand honest. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hi Derek only joking honest. We did have a lively discussion on the "other" site but not I hope one which would cause us to fall out.

Olley

Now in 18678 place in the boat race, see here if your wondering what I am going on about: Link Removed Its "Big" on facts.

Last edited:

Drylander

Free Member
Aug 28, 2008
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 Years
Hi Olley LOL :roflmto:

Off topic but the Azincourt book I bought from you at Stratford was a darn good read, thanks.

Just finished it but I wont spoil it for you by telling you who won in end :winky:

Bob L

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Bob glad you enjoyed it, I will have to get around to reading my copy sometime ::bigsmile:

Reading a book on Cathrine of Aragon at the moment, I wonder if that will have a happy ending? :ROFLMAO:

Olley

Drylander

Free Member
Aug 28, 2008
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 Years
Hi Olley, (Still Off Topic)

Heads or Tales :Doh: ??!!

Bob L

Drylander

Free Member
Aug 28, 2008
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 Years
Hi Elvis (if you are still in the Building)

OP<<when our gas bottle is low (say 1/4 full or less but not empty) the fire will ignite but goes straight out & water heater will not ignite at all but the hob will light (all 4 rings) and cook for ever on full strength. When the bottle is full, all of the above will ignite and work as normal>>

?? Fixed yet ??

& If so: What DID cause your Original Problem, please??

Just Curious........

OP
OP
Elvis

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
Still a Gas issue,perhaps

The place where we bought it says they checked the regulator & pipes and still thinks it's normal so will not do anything else to sort it out, have changed the bottle for a full one (at least!) so will see if it happens again, once bottle is low and if it does will try changing reg 1st and if not, the pipes- lots of good advice given though.:Smile:

acdcdave

Deceased RIP
Oct 23, 2008
Funster No
Gas Issues

Elvis

The composition of the LPG's exiting the bottle does vary as it is used. The light stuff C2's goes first any bits of ethane and ethene, then C3's propane and propene, then C4's butane and butenes, then C5's etc etc. Also impurities such as carbon dioxide, nitrogen etc will disappear at slightly different times. The important stenching agent e.g. mercaptan is heavy and is usually stronger at the end hence empty bottles are usually pretty smelly. The hydrocarbons have slightly different combustion ranges, between 4% and 8% or so with optimum combustion around 6%.

It sounds as though you are too near the edge of the range for the fire and water heater, either too rich or too lean. For standard commercial propane or butane this is unusual. You can get sooting if the mixture is too rich. Are the burners nice and clean? You really need a qualified LPG technician to check it out. What exactly is supposed to be in the bottle? Using butane down around 0C can also have odd effects because the butane has virtually no vapour pressure left. I'm suspicious about the gas - what are you using and where do you get it?

Hope this helps, ACDCDAVE

OP
OP
Elvis

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
gas issue

Elvis

The composition of the LPG's exiting the bottle does vary as it is used. The light stuff C2's goes first any bits of ethane and ethene, then C3's propane and propene, then C4's butane and butenes, then C5's etc etc. Also impurities such as carbon dioxide, nitrogen etc will disappear at slightly different times. The important stenching agent e.g. mercaptan is heavy and is usually stronger at the end hence empty bottles are usually pretty smelly. The hydrocarbons have slightly different combustion ranges, between 4% and 8% or so with optimum combustion around 6%.

It sounds as though you are too near the edge of the range for the fire and water heater, either too rich or too lean. For standard commercial propane or butane this is unusual. You can get sooting if the mixture is too rich. Are the burners nice and clean? You really need a qualified LPG technician to check it out. What exactly is supposed to be in the bottle? Using butane down around 0C can also have odd effects because the butane has virtually no vapour pressure left. I'm suspicious about the gas - what are you using and where do you get it?

Hope this helps, ACDCDAVE

We use the orange bottles, should that make a diference?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back