Gas in France and Spain

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Demelza, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Demelza

Demelza Read Only Funster

Hello. We bought our motorhome last September and have only used it in UK since then. We are planning a trip to France and Spain. We have got two LPG bottles but need to know what we need for France and Spain in the way of adaptors etc. Can anyone help please? Thanks.

2. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

More details needed. Are they Calor type bottles and if so are they butane (blue) or propane (red). Is the regulator on the bottle or fixed to the van. Are they refillable (gaslow etc) ???

3. hdvrod

hdvrod Read Only Funster

Ours are 6kg propane with regulater fixed to motorhome would be interested as well,as we run out in France last year:Smile:

4. Demelza

They are propane (red) and the regulator is fixed to the van. Not refillable.

5. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi demelza .i,m in cornwall at roche if you pm me come round i have lots of adaptors .either to show you or possibly lend . i also have a spanish bottle should you need to borrow one .
    but i can show you lots of tricks . also have a french total bottle . my spanish bottle is actually on its way back from spain should be back soon . but i may have availability of another from my neighbour . cheers alan.

6. Demelza

Thank you. Will PM you in a minute. :)

7. Demelza

Hi vwalan. I've just PMd you. Hope you get it. Something funny with my sent messages. They seem to have disappeared. Please let me know if you haven't received it and I'll try again.

8. vwalan

vwalan Funster

no probs answer on the way . but same if not let me know. cheers

9. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Simple answer is a brass adaptor which fits a French/Sp[anish propane bottle and allows a UK propane pigtail to attach.
    I have one which I bought from Socal in Southampton, unfortunately I cannot now find it on their website.

The other way is to get a butane pigtail for your regulator, as this will directly fit the continental propane bottles.

10. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi fes gas do them for about £7. but in spain op would need an adaptor for the spanish bottle as they are 35mm clip on . unless you get the adaptor the spanish normal way is a reg. . filling the bottles is really why i offered to lend bottles. you can also use the brass adaptor to fill bottles with a gas bottle filler. easy.

11. nifty fifty

nifty fifty Funster

i have just gone from a van that had 2x12kg to just 2x 6kg [calor propane] and have found its useing 6kg over a long weekend. as i am heading for 16 days in francein june i am thinking i have to go refillable untill i read your post, can you explain further or what is best in your experience

glyn

12. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi first how often are you going to france?
    might be wise to use one 15 kg butane uk bottle .or a 13 propane .then get a french bottle . you use the french but keep the uk as back up. i started this years ago. thats why i have lots of different countries bottles . but what i do is very often adapt every thing to the old uk reg .france and maroc still use it.
    in spain i adapt to it even when using a spanish bottle .
    i also carry a bottle filler from ebay .ideal if caught out and need to fill a bottle .
    on fes site you can get a butane to uk propane adaptor . that allows the bottle fillers . but dont tell any one i told you this its a secret.
    you very often find that other countries their exchange bottles are cheaper than lpg /gpl /auto gas. but it can be handy if used carefully.
    pm me if you need more info.