Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
I'm very, very new to motorhoming - 8 days to be exact, and as a baptism of fire I plan on taking off for Europe in May for as long as I'm able.

I have lots and lots of questions but my main one is about bottled gas.
My van at the moment has what looks to be a slightly larger than camping gas stove size bottle and I was going to get this changed to something bigger. I think I read in one of many magazines that you can't get bottles refilled in Europe. Is that true and if so what are my options? :helpsos:

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
how big a bottle can you get in ?[ diameter/height ]
which countries are you going to go and for how long?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
According the the owners handbook the locker will accommodate 4.5, 7 or 15kg butane or 6 and 13kg propane cylinders. there appears to be space for 2 bottles.
I'm going to France, Spain and Italy and possibly other countries but I haven't made my mind up yet. How long? I only intend on returning to the UK in 12 months to tax my vehicle and then I'll be off again

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
I think I read in one of many magazines that you can't get bottles refilled in Europe. Is that true and if so what are my options? :helpsos:

You can get ottles refilled almost anywhere.
If they are non-refillale ottles, then you may have great difficulty in finding someone who does it in any country ecause it really shouldn't be done at all.
If they are the refillable type like autogas or gaslow, then you will find then easy to refill with the possile exception of Southern Spain - ut even there they are not too difficult.
You may need to carry the four nozzle adaptors (Euronozzle, Italian Cup, Acme Thread and Dutch Bayonet as used in the UK).

Assuming that you have non-refillables, you can get bottles but not necessarily exchange bottles. The advent of the plastic exchangeables, where we are a bit slow on the technology in the UK but most Northern European countries are going that way, makes the aquisition fairly easy and not expensive. In Repsol/Cepsa territories of Spain, you can aquire exchangeale bottles through car boot sales and markets for about €10.
To play this game, you need to have the relevant pigtails that connect your bulkhead regulator to the bottle or valve on the bottle. Pretty much all bulkhead regulators are 20mm. In most countries, the bottle end will also be 20mm where the Calor POI LH in the UK is not used antwhere outside the UK. This despite the fact that most of the various national gas giants are all owned by the one Dutch company!

Enough already. Hope that helps a bit. If not, say so...
Patrick

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
You can get ottles refilled almost anywhere.
If they are non-refillale ottles, then you may have great difficulty in finding someone who does it in any country ecause it really shouldn't be done at all.
If they are the refillable type like autogas or gaslow, then you will find then easy to refill with the possile exception of Southern Spain - ut even there they are not too difficult.
You may need to carry the four nozzle adaptors (Euronozzle, Italian Cup, Acme Thread and Dutch Bayonet as used in the UK).

Assuming that you have non-refillables, you can get bottles but not necessarily exchange bottles. The advent of the plastic exchangeables, where we are a bit slow on the technology in the UK but most Northern European countries are going that way, makes the aquisition fairly easy and not expensive. In Repsol/Cepsa territories of Spain, you can aquire exchangeale bottles through car boot sales and markets for about €10.
To play this game, you need to have the relevant pigtails that connect your bulkhead regulator to the bottle or valve on the bottle. Pretty much all bulkhead regulators are 20mm. In most countries, the bottle end will also be 20mm where the Calor POI LH in the UK is not used antwhere outside the UK. This despite the fact that most of the various national gas giants are all owned by the one Dutch company!

Enough already. Hope that helps a bit. If not, say so...
Patrick

That's great thank you very much. I will aim to get the nozzle adaptors you've mentioned.
I'm afraid I haven't a clue what 'pigtails' are. I'm terribly green at all of this but I won't let it put me off leaving

Upvote 0

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
You will only want the adaptors if you go with refillable bottles, otherwise you would have a setup like the attached diagram and then you use the pigtails as marked.

Attachments

• BH Reg.jpg
    BH Reg.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Euronozzle 21.8.JPG
    Euronozzle 21.8.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Italian Cup France Spain Port Scand.JPG
    Italian Cup France Spain Port Scand.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Acme screw Germ Austria Belg Eire.JPG
    Acme screw Germ Austria Belg Eire.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Dutch Bayonet UK Norway Spain.JPG
    Dutch Bayonet UK Norway Spain.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 19
Upvote 0

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
One small but important point, ninjayorkies, is to get in as much experience as you can in April in the UK. You'll probably have no troubles in Europe, but, unless your languages are pretty damn good, it's better to have them here in GB where some sort of English is spoken.

Should be OK, but it's insurance. Perfect Preparation Prevents P--- Poor Performance as many worthy Funsters could tell you!

Have fun!!

Upvote 0

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
thats interesting patrick

so repsol , cepsa , totalgas , shell BP etc etc are all owned by calor , are they ?

Upvote 0

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
this undisclosed vehicle appears to have space for 2 bottles
does it have a regulator screwed to the bodywork or does it have a regulator on the bottle

what is the name on the bottle you currently have , how much gas does it say it contains , what type of gas is it [ butane or propane ]

Upvote 0

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
this undisclosed vehicle appears to have space for 2 bottles
does it have a regulator screwed to the bodywork or does it have a regulator on the bottle

what is the name on the bottle you currently have , how much gas does it say it contains , what type of gas is it [ butane or propane ]

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Most super market chains especially in France will happily sign you up for an exchange bottle for anywhere in the country. You will need another connection or regulator to suit.

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
(And you'll need a visa that allows you to stay in the EU for more than 90 days or one of you has to have an EU passport...)

Upvote 0
Mar 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Since 2014
I use safe fill refillable they come in various sizes. They can be moved from van to van and I have taken them in my car to refill.
but you need the adaptors for Europe. They can be got on line and you can get the dimensions as well.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back