Gas heater outlet (1990 fiat camelot) (1 Viewer)

Douzeper

Funster
Nov 23, 2010
Antrim, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I been testing gas appliances to see if they work ok, when the gas fire is on I expected fumes to come out of the flu, but there doesn't seem to be much coming out of it.
There are two holes/vents on the side of the van, one has hot air coming out of it when the fire is lit, should the hot air gasses etc not be coming out of the flu

The flu was covered in snow and it barely melted any, I cleaned it away but it is not hot or even really warm.

Is the flu blocked or does this sound correct?

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
If your flue is boxed in it might be worth checking if it has deteriated and has holes in it. Either way I would get it checked cos what you have described sounds not right. Carbon monoxide you know silent and deadly.:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Upvote 0

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Should be coming out the flue,,, check the tin foiley springy metaly flexi tube has not come away from the back of the heater or even come adrift where it connects to the inside of the chimney/cowl where it goes through the roof..

You wont smell it but it will kill you.. :Eeek: So dont use it till it is checked out...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
With your description of hot air coming from the vents on the side,,, I would look to find out if the pipe has come away from the heater or as already said/suggested holes in the pipe..

There might be enough gasses escaping from the air vent to prevent the monoxide alarm from going off.. but still a lethal combination, if the gasses are going out the side vent you only need some wind to hit that side of the motorhome to stop the gas escaping from the vent and more getting inside.. :Blush:

And could the monoxide alarm be faulty... still all worth checking.. :thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Douzeper

Douzeper

Funster
Nov 23, 2010
Antrim, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I thought it must be wrong as it didn't make sense why the there was no heat/fumes coming out of the flu.
I'll get it checked before using it again.

Thanks for help.

Upvote 0

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Great,,, worth it for peace of mind and safety..

Hope you get it sorted,, I dont think it will be much,,, but better safe than sorry,, let us know what the outcome is..:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Douzeper

Douzeper

Funster
Nov 23, 2010
Antrim, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Great,,, worth it for peace of mind and safety..

Hope you get it sorted,, I dont think it will be much,,, but better safe than sorry,, let us know what the outcome is..:thumb:

Will do!

What are the vents on the side for? are they to circulate air to the fire etc? why is there two?

Upvote 0

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Will do!

What are the vents on the side for? are they to circulate air to the fire etc? why is there two?

I think if you could put a couple of photo`s up (2 Vents) we would be able to help a bit more.

Are the 2 vents you speak of letter box shape but bigger with sloping down slats,, and are they plastic. ?

Normaly if plastic they are just ventilation ducts for a fridge.. and not for taking heat due to being plastic.

Age of M.H and type/model would help. And it is possible some one has done a bodge job on the heater flue and decided to run it through the side, hence there being heat coming from these vents. Or are/is the vents small round metal type,, I ask this because on most American R.V.`s the exhaust from the furnace/boiler does come through a side entry tube type flue, but these because of the heat are always metal..

I stand to be corrected on all my suggestions, and perhaps a member who is more switched on than me can comment..

Look at this link to compere vets,, the second one down shows(Not Very well) the type of vent and set up for a fridge. Link Removed

Upvote 0

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Woops!!!!!! Sorry,, just noticed the thread heading ( Gas heater outlet (1990 fiat camelot)

I think my first port of call would be to check the pipe has not dropped down where it attaches to the roof vent and where it fixes to the back of the heater and for perforations in the pipe..

Upvote 0

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ummmm.. Just a thought...

The flue is not for the water heater, while the actual heater has a balanced flue onn the side of the van ?
That was the set up on my old Hobby

Upvote 0

trevosky

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Street, Somerset
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
on and off 16 years plus
Provided the camper is the Autohomes Camelot the flue on the roof is for the water heater,one of those pilot light types,cant remember now but there may be a drain tap under van for the fresh water,long time since i had mine! cant understand why there is no zig unit above the switches though:Sad:
Trev

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Douzeper

Douzeper

Funster
Nov 23, 2010
Antrim, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yeah Autohomes Camelot.

I'll go and take some photos.

So it may not be meant to come out of the flu. I haven't tried the water heater yet waiting on better weather in case anything is froze.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
As already mentioned in a previous post, the flue on the roof is for the water heater. I think the heater had a balanced flue through the side wall if memory serves.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back