Gas Equipment - Fiat Ducato Talento (1 Viewer)

RVCH

Free Member
Nov 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
Since 2010
Howdy.

We've finally left London, and are now three days in to our six month trip. Leading up to our departure was a bit hectic, so I didn't quite get everything sorted.

I'm trying to work out our gas appliances (fridge, heater, hot water).

The gas works fine on the cooking plates, but none of the other equipment seems to work.

The fridge works fine on 12V, but is seriously power hungry. The piezo seems to click on the fridge, but can't see anything in the sight hole.

The hot water solenoids click, but, water never gets hot, and can't feel anything in the exhaust vent to suggest it's burning.

Do these vehicles have a separate isolation valve? Is there anything else I can look at myself?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Most vans have a gas manifold with big red knobs on allowing you isolate each appliance. Often in a kitchen cupboard or draw.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Do these vehicles have a separate isolation valve? Is there anything else I can look at myself?
id be checking the gas supply pipes for your fridge and boiler for a valve... they can be next to the appliance or on a manifold some way away in a cupboard etc... you know you have gas if your hob works so its strange that your boiler and fridge both don't light...
also worth checking your boiler vent doesn't have a cover on the intake/flue .quite often a red light on the boiler controls to indicate failure to light...
if you find valves that are shut it can take a few attempts to light until gas gets through..
andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
What year is it ? If fridge has cupboard to the right then the gas manifold is in there.
Once you turn on the fridge gas you need to press in & hold in the gas regulator button for at least 20 seconds & then start pressing the piezo igniter. Should light easily & be seen through the inspection window.
If it hasn't been cleaned it can get debris across the igniter. If you have outside grille remove & blow out with air line. If not the viewing window can be pulled out usually inside the fridge & blow out through there with a plastic tube .

Has the hot water boiler got the outside cover ? If it hasn't then it is possible that the burner has got swamped with dust. Especially if it has been used over here without the covers. My boiler ,I removed half a coke can full of dirt from the burner alone & if I hadn't had a witness, my nephew, that we had hot water when I first got it I would have believed I dreamt it as it only lit on 2 holes.

It should light when you switch on & if it doesn't then the original had a red light that came on.I'd blow out with an high pressure airline from outside as that is the best you can do without removing it & dismantling.
Turn on & attempt to light until it stops clicking/red light comes on . If it stops just start it off again. If it hasn't been lit for a while it can take 5 or 6 attempts.

Photo's would help . Also has it a bulk tank or bottles?

OP
OP
RVCH

RVCH

Free Member
Nov 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
Since 2010
I'm sorry, I was falling asleep as I wrote this - I see how incredibly vague it was.

It's a 1993 model, short wheel base. It has a single large replaceable gas bottle.

The fridge seems to be an Electrolux RM 270

And the heater seems to be a Trumatic SLP3002.

No markings/manual for water heater, but it's also Truma, and looks like maybe 10L capacity. As mentioned, the red LED does turn on a few seconds after turning the heater on. The fridge and heater show no signs of life.

Next quiet afternoon I'll pop some vents off to have a look. Haven't seen a separate isolator valve yet though. Sadly, previous owner never used the gas equipment, so he hasn't been able to help...

Thanks for suggestions so far, all.

Ross

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
There has to be a manifold somewhere with an individual isolating valve for each item. Mine also has a mains isolating valve before the manifold as well. The fact that all the other items aren't working on gas seems to indicate valves are not turned on.
Saw photo in your media. Have a look in cupboard to the right that extends out in front of where gas cylinder is.

OP
OP
RVCH

RVCH

Free Member
Nov 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
Since 2010
Cheers, hope it's something this simple!

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
On a side note, you say you have a large replaceable gas bottle, you do know every country has different bottles and connecters?

OP
OP
RVCH

RVCH

Free Member
Nov 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
Since 2010
On a side note, you say you have a large replaceable gas bottle, you do know every country has different bottles and connecters?
... No, I did not know this. Being from Japan and Australia, this is our first time driving to different countries, and learning all these fun lessons...

Thanks for the heads up. I assumed this was a standard

OP
OP
RVCH

RVCH

Free Member
Nov 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
Since 2010
For posterity sake, there are indeed isolators in the bottom of the cupboard below the sink. There is a main isolator, and another for each of the appliances. My wife's job was to pack the kitchen, so I hadn't seen these earlier - I'd only checked in the external cupboard by the gas bottle.

A bit of trial and error with what direction was off/on, and the fridge and hot water ignite.

Is there any information about the different countries gas bottles/refill procedures on this forum? Probably need to look at that sooner rather than later. We're in Portugal now, back in Spain for the weekend (probably). No idea how much gas is left! Haha - I sense a very unhappy wife if this runs out prematurely!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back