GAS CYLINDERS IN SPAIN (1 Viewer)

Oct 20, 2015
tunbridge wells
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years
We are presently enjoying the cold wet rain at La Marina on the Costa Blanca. The fact that we have had the van heating on more or less non stop since leaving the train at Calais a fortnight ago has totally thrown our gas calculations out of the Heki. One cylinder down and one full one left with still a month before we need to set off home we decided to buy a 'Repsol' and 'do the regulator conversion' on the van. I can hear some of you in the know having a chuckle at our naivety. We were told that we couldn't buy a Spanish cylinder without a gas check certificate. A gas check, what's that all about then? We huffed and puffed, all we wanted was a wretched gas bottle. A Repsol station wouldn't sell us a cylinder and all the local black market ones had been snapped up. We had to bite the bullet and put our names on the list for the 'inspection' Well, a very charming young man duly arrived this morning did his checks on our van, converted our French regulator, gave us our gas certificate and was on his way all for 18 euros. We were surprised to learn that the gas certificate would be required by the police if we were stopped at a checkup point. Does anyone have experience of these checks? Is it yet another way for the tourists to be fleeced. Presumably if you don't have a certificate you get a hefty on the spot fine. What a difference to Portugal where we got our French bottle refilled by a little old lady at a GPL station in the middle of nowhere!!.

Deleted User
I have never heard of anyone being checked but if I was stopped and checked I would say that I bought the bottle in Portugal, the Repsol bottles are the same, where no checks are necessary.

OP
OP
Clever Claire
Oct 20, 2015
tunbridge wells
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years
Thanks for that. Sounds like another ploy to separate the tourist from his money.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Same here, never heard of anyone getting checked..
The only time it is ever mentioned is by campsite reception / shop staff.

Second hand bottles are always available somewhere for about €8-10...

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We are presently enjoying the cold wet rain at La Marina on the Costa Blanca. The fact that we have had the van heating on more or less non stop since leaving the train at Calais a fortnight ago has totally thrown our gas calculations out of the Heki. One cylinder down and one full one left with still a month before we need to set off home we decided to buy a 'Repsol' and 'do the regulator conversion' on the van. I can hear some of you in the know having a chuckle at our naivety. We were told that we couldn't buy a Spanish cylinder without a gas check certificate. A gas check, what's that all about then? We huffed and puffed, all we wanted was a wretched gas bottle. A Repsol station wouldn't sell us a cylinder and all the local black market ones had been snapped up. We had to bite the bullet and put our names on the list for the 'inspection' Well, a very charming young man duly arrived this morning did his checks on our van, converted our French regulator, gave us our gas certificate and was on his way all for 18 euros. We were surprised to learn that the gas certificate would be required by the police if we were stopped at a checkup point. Does anyone have experience of these checks? Is it yet another way for the tourists to be fleeced. Presumably if you don't have a certificate you get a hefty on the spot fine. What a difference to Portugal where we got our French bottle refilled by a little old lady at a GPL station in the middle of nowhere!!.
Most important thing is you are now sorted, I trust you have now got a Spanish Cylinder, if so you can change it as often as you want............Propane for this cold snap is essential......You DO have propane?

OP
OP
Clever Claire
Oct 20, 2015
tunbridge wells
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years
Yes we do have propane, thanks for your concern. Next planned purchase is snorkel and flippers to cope with all this rain!!!!

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Yes we do have propane, thanks for your concern. Next planned purchase is snorkel and flippers to cope with all this rain!!!!
You will need to get a Certificate first, thats after attending a 5 day course......Dangerous items in the wrong hands...or should I have written feet.

OP
OP
Clever Claire
Oct 20, 2015
tunbridge wells
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years
Lol. Keep on laughing through the rain. The Jack Russell couldn't keep his legs crossed any longer we are now beyond soaked.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
I don't know if you can get them whilst you are in Spain but we fitted these in the flexible hose after the regulator. Saves having to undo the jubilee clip and swapping the hose from the UK to the Spanish regulator.

!BYsps-!CGk-$(KGrHgoOKiQEjlLmZ!24BKi81WVLGg--_35.jpg

Link Removed

Deleted User
I have used those in the past but are only suitable for the low pressure side of the regulator so won't be any advantage for vehicles with fixed bulkhead regulators.

OP
OP
Clever Claire
Oct 20, 2015
tunbridge wells
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years
We had no problem fitting our set up onto the Spanish bottle. We purchased a set of adapters (German made) one of which fitted the end of the tail, from the local MH dealer together with a Repsol regulator and all works well through the two regulators.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back