Free Member
Jan 7, 2014
North Notts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie (7 years towing)
We have a 2010 Autotrail EKS SE. I have transferred our caravan 6kg cylinders to start us off. However, we will be touring in France soon and want the maximum amount of gas we can safely carry.
I am puzzled because in the manual it show the capacities as 1x13kg and 1x7kg. Looking in the gas locker the support brackets and safety harness are not suitable for the smaller 6kg bottles but as both brackets are in the same positions for larger bottles i.e. 2x 13kgs is there any reason x2 13kg bottles cannot go in. It seems to me though I haven't tried yet that x2 13kgs would work.
Anyone know if that is correct.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
some gas lockers are meant for 2 x 11 kg bottles like the refillables which are narrower than 13 kg bottles simply there may not physically be enough room to put 2 x 13 kg bottles in there.

I can only get 1 x 13 and 1 x 11 in mine as it was made for 2 x 11's

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I suggest taking your mh to a stockist and trying them. Ours now has 2x11kg refillable but did take 2x13kg at a squeeze. They were touching each other and the walls but at least they couldnt rattle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
We have a 2010 Autotrail EKS SE. I have transferred our caravan 6kg cylinders to start us off. However, we will be touring in France soon and want the maximum amount of gas we can safely carry.
I am puzzled because in the manual it show the capacities as 1x13kg and 1x7kg. Looking in the gas locker the support brackets and safety harness are not suitable for the smaller 6kg bottles but as both brackets are in the same positions for larger bottles i.e. 2x 13kgs is there any reason x2 13kg bottles cannot go in. It seems to me though I haven't tried yet that x2 13kgs would work.

last few days I have found the best way is to measure the depth and height of your gas locker that way the size will determine what bottles you can fit.. for instance my Dethleffs will only take two bottles no more than 13.5 Dia....so I took good advice from other funsters and purchased today a refillable GasLow 11kgs, France has many refill service stations that can accommodate GasLow, another point is that FloGas also do propane bottles that fit my gas locker:Cool:

163phil

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Kenilworth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Still only a year after many years camping
We have an Autotrail Apache 600, and can only get 1x13kg & 1x6kg bottle in. Reason being the compartment door is smaller than the 13kg bottle, so you have to tilt it diagonally (if that makes sense) to get the bottle in and out. Once one 13kg bottle is in there physically isn't room to tilt a second one through the door. But there is room for the 6kg bottle, itself being smaller than the door.:thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
We have an Autotrail Apache 600, and can only get 1x13kg & 1x6kg bottle in. Reason being the compartment door is smaller than the 13kg bottle, so you have to tilt it diagonally (if that makes sense) to get the bottle in and out. Once one 13kg bottle is in there physically isn't room to tilt a second one through the door. But there is room for the 6kg bottle, itself being smaller than the door.:thumb:
there is a knack to getting 2 13kg cylinders in some lockers. if the door is too short, but there is enough floor space in the locker, lift the cylinders upwards through the door , so the neck of the cylinder goes in first... easier to show you than explain it, but has worked on more than one van over the years:thumb:

163phil

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Kenilworth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Might work if you're a 16 stone gorilla. I'm just a 10 stone weed. :ROFLMAO:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Might work if you're a 16 stone gorilla. I'm just a 10 stone weed. :ROFLMAO:
youve been sneaking a peak at me then :ROFLMAO:

mind you, I am a little bigger than the average gorilla, or so ive been told:ROFLMAO:

im sure if you need something heavy lifting theres always somebody about that will help. one way of lifting the bottle in easier is to do it in stages....put a step beside the locker and stand the cylinder on that first, then tip it and lift in. as i said, its easier to show you than describe the way to do it.

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
I seem to recall that Knockinonabit in his thread 'Autotrail Woes' complains about being unable to get two 13kg bottles into the locker of his vehicle despite the handbook indicating that two such bottles can be accommodated.

It might be worth you reading that thread or PM'ing Knockinonabot for more info.

Simon

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

How long are you intending to be away for? If it's quite a while (ie a couple of months) you might want to consider a refillable bottle.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
my scout takes 2X13k bottles, (allthought I use 1 X13k + 1 x7k lite)

I wonder if a/t specify 1x13k + 1x7K on yours to keep weight down?

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Can I hijack this thread a little as the gas cylinder thing has me somewhat confused, from the perspective of "how much gas do I have left"? It seems simple enough, the 6Kg propane cylinder in the camper has a tag on it that tells me how much the cylinder weighs when empty.........and this is helpfully in imperial and is 9lbs 10oz. This equates to roughly 4.4 kilo's if my math is correct. Therefore by my simple logic a full cylinder should weigh 4.4 + 6 = 10.4 kilo's approx when full. However when I weigh the cylinder it comes out at 14 kilo's............where am I going wrong?

Tinca :Doh:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Whatever the locker appears to be able to fit when empty, remember that one cylinder will already be in there when you have to try and get the second one in, and if the locker door is too narrow that can cause problems.

In theory, based purely on locker dimensions, ours should fit 2 x 13Kgs - in practice it doesn't.

PAGR

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 3, 2013
Camberley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Arapaho
The manual for our 2008 Autotrail Arapaho also states that the locker will take two 13kg cylinders. The cradles are positioned one on the back and one on the side of the locker and it is not possible to fit more than one 13kg and a 6kg in those positions.
I decided to move things around at the weekend and see if I could fit the two larger ones.
Centred both cradles on the back, moved the base retainers and managed to squeeze them in, just.

Result.

Or so I thought.:RollEyes:

Went to close the locker and no go. The catches now hit both bottles.:Doh:

After much swearing, fettling and refitting, I finally managed to get the locker to close.

Again, result.

So I thought.

Release lever will now not release the catches.:Doh:

After judicious use of a torch, bent coathanger and a long thin pry bar managed to open it from below. More fettling, hardwood packer below the cylinders and now, finally, it all fits, shuts and opens perfectly.

Relief.:Smile:

Peter

163phil

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Kenilworth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
10/10 for perseverance!:Smile: