Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Nice post @Minxy Girl .. safety is obviously important
I still think transporting is fine and not exempt on insurance.
Maybe, maybe not ... it would certainly be worth a phone call and/or check your policy details to see if it has to be in a 'proper' locker beforehand though.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
As Jim said, heater vents in the garage connect to hab area & no drop vents in the garage.
And of course the bottle would be closed, unlike whilst in use with multiple gas connections in the gas locker, and the multiple gas connections inside the body of the motorhome, and the numerous gas appliances, also not in a gas locker

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
@Lenny HB That's just an opinion. It's quite safe (my opinion) . We transport gas cannisters for the van and barbecue in the car regularly too. No issues there either.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As Jim said, heater vents in the garage connect to hab area & no drop vents in the garage.
And of course the bottle would be closed, unlike whilst in use with multiple gas connections in the gas locker, and the multiple gas connections inside the body of the motorhome, and the numerous gas appliances, also not in a gas locker
.. unfortunately a closed bottle can leak ...

@Lenny HB That's just an opinion. It's quite safe (my opinion) . We transport gas cannisters for the van and barbecue in the car regularly too. No issues there either.
The difference is that you don't SLEEP in your car, it's not just about explosions, you could be gassed too ... if you have an alarm to detect LPG it might wake you up but that's obviously more likely to be near the cooker rather than near you in the bed over the garage. If you want to risk it, thats up to you, but for the sake of a bit of 'fettling' to make a locker for it with base vents is it REALLY worth it?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
But there are more gas connections inside the motorhome than in the "specially constructed" gas locker

I'd be more worried about the lack of crash testing and crumple zones in a crash than an additional gas bottle

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
But there are more gas connections inside the motorhome than in the "specially constructed" gas locker

I'd be more worried about the lack of crash testing and crumple zones in a crash than an additional gas bottle
Yes but the rest of the MH has gas drop vents and not loads of clutter blocking them. In a garage there usually aren't any drop vents but even if there are the chances of them being clear for the gas to drop out is very unlikely.

I've got an idea about a possible 'safer' solution than just having a 'bare' gas bottle so will post it later.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The reality is that there must be tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of motorhomes drive round with a camping gas bottle or similar as a spare or for a Cadac BBQ or grill

Loads of things have to be a compromise safety wise. I would rather be "T" boned in a crash driving my Landcruiser than my motorhome, side impact bars, God knows how many air bags, air curtains, recoil seat belt systems

So I am compromising my safety in a calculated way every time I drive

Swift and Autotrail turn off the caravan 12 volt electrics, originally to avoid any conflict with EMC testing, the Europeans tested their equipment so you could actually use the loo and have a light on with the engine running! I often start the engine and let it warm up before pulling away, especially in Winter when on a motorway aire when I have to accelerate out into fast traffic, I could do that with a Hymer or a Adria but not with a Kon Tiki

Which is correct?

I will walk around and get a drink on a train, a plane or a coach, so see little additional danger when a passenger getting a snack or a drink whilst under way. Some people think that this is one move off suicide lol

When our kids were little, we would shower them, feed them, and then tuck them up in bed and drive through the night towards our destination

Dangerous? to some yes, to us it meant driving on much quieter roads, with little or no commercial traffic and no occasional drivers, so we felt in the balance of probability, safer

We can't all live for ever lol

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Just because you do it, does not mean it is safe and you shouldn't be giving the ideas to others.
I never said it was safe, I just said I did it.

Giving ideas to others, I never realised I was communicating to sheep, I thought I was communicating to sensible, at your own risk motorhomers.
(y)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
So if you go to fetch a gas cyl in the car does it need to have a hole drilled in the boot floor and a secure attachment!!"!!!!!!. We just got a gasit cyl so easy and cheap to fill the main advantage is you can top it up. Before that had a small propane as back up

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
So if you go to fetch a gas cyl in the car does it need to have a hole drilled in the boot floor and a secure attachment!!"!!!!!!. We just got a gasit cyl so easy and cheap to fill the main advantage is you can top it up. Before that had a small propane as back up
No ... unless of course you sleep in the car!

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
No but it should be upright and secured. Not just wedged between something, as someone said they do between bikes in garage of motorhome.

N

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
but keeps H & S industry employed.

Yup!, and is that not what it is all about?. (Cynical me!!). From the man who spent YEARS in the Statuary Inspection "Industry"!!.

When I started it was "Safety", by the time I finished It was all about "Money".

I carried a Spanish (repsol) Gas Bottle back and Forth to Spain for Years!!

Pete

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
You could always get a proper bung, made from brass to go over the outlet, so that the gas could not get out unless the bottle is fractured and if that happened you would not be in a fit state to bother about it anyway. Bottles and cylinders are immensely strong for what they are, really tough steel with perfect welds, most happenings are fire, explosion, and the fracture of the tap. All of those would not happen to a motorhome unless it was totally destroyed a long time before the bottle gave up.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The only thing that has been mentioned that really matters is: carry it upright. If it's on its side and the valve leaks it will leak liquid that turns into lots of gas. Upright & it will only leak gas. If it leaks at all that is. I invariably have a chuckle at safety obsession. The classic to me is the MH driver. He/she is in a vehicle that will, given the right circumstances, propel its fridge and lavatory through the windscreen whilst peppering survivors with the contents of the lockers. And that's after they've survived the scooter trips undertaken before leaving site.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I am not negating the need to secure a bottle in the garage safely for travel, but it's the effect of LEAKING gas that is my main concern, as this can happen at any time, day or night, and whilst this is unlikely it CAN happen so to store it in a place with NO drop out vents is asking for trouble IMV - if you DO intend to carry one in the garage please put in some drop out vents as the garage floor is like a bit flat tray which will hold a LOT of gas.

I've been thinking of ways to put in a suitable container for the bottle and this is what I came up with:

Parts:
Method:
  1. decide where you want to put the plastic container in the garage*
  2. make a couple of drop vent holes in the garage floor (check what's underneath before doing so)
  3. mark-up and cut holes through the bottom of the crate to match-up with the floor holes
  4. stick the drop vent securely to the bottom of the crate inside so that the stem protrudes out the bottom of it
  5. using sealant/adhesive attach the crate to the garage floor so that the 2 vent stems go through the holes you made, sealing it all round with Sikaflex or something like that so that no gas can escape between the base of the crate and the floor surface and also underneath the garage round the protruding drop vents to prevent water getting in the underside
  6. drill and securely screw/bolt the crate to the garage floor and put sealant on the fixings so gas can't leak out
  7. attach straps to the inside of the crate to hold the bottle securely to the side using sealant to fill any gaps.
* You need to remember to allow enough space to be able to lift the bottle in/out, hence why a rectangular, rather than a square, crate is preferred as you can tilt the bottle to lift it clear; if the space is tight and you wonā€™t be able to lift the bottle out of a full height crate you can use a lower one but obviously wonā€™t be able to put a lid on it, still a LOT safer than just having a gas bottle sat on the garage floor.

Note that this is all thought through, not done in practice so you might have to tweak the idea a bit!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The only thing that has been mentioned that really matters is: carry it upright. If it's on its side and the valve leaks it will leak liquid that turns into lots of gas. Upright & it will only leak gas. If it leaks at all that is. I invariably have a chuckle at safety obsession. The classic to me is the MH driver. He/she is in a vehicle that will, given the right circumstances, propel its fridge and lavatory through the windscreen whilst peppering survivors with the contents of the lockers. And that's after they've survived the scooter trips undertaken before leaving site.
Please don't underestimate the effect of leaking gas ... we were in a fire in a MH due to leaking gas it it was NOT fun I can tell you! We had a 5ft 'blowtorch'!

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Would this be an appropriate time to say I've put a 907 on sale in the Classified?
:swear2:

I thought not!!!:whistle::whistle::whistle:

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
We had a 5ft 'blowtorch'!
Reminds me of school science lessons - lighting the gas tap was so much more fun than lighting the Bunsen burner :LOL::whistle:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
OP
OP
Chaumo

Chaumo

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few years
Thanks all for your replies. The van has electric, gas and diesel heating. 3 way fridge and gas for cooking. It is parking the van up when spending the day in towns and using gas for the fridge together with cooking that uses it up. The gas locker only accommodates a 6 kg bottle. I think I will just have to keep a careful eye on the cylinder and just carry a spare when low. As luck would have it, the unused 3.9 propane bottle I have from caravan days is too low to connect to the pigtail in the locker. Now to buy another calor lite. I suppose I could get a gas BBQ for the small cylinder but that would defeat the object of carrying a spare occasionally. Any buyers for unused 3.9 cylinder?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Please don't underestimate the effect of leaking gas ... we were in a fire in a MH due to leaking gas it it was NOT fun I can tell you! We had a 5ft 'blowtorch'!
I don't for minute - and I like your idea with the box. I don't think the box is essential though as long as the cylinder is held upright. A couple of gas drops in opposite corners of the garage should do the trick.

The issue is a bit like carrying cylinders in a car. The advice is simply to carry them upright (and the car is certainly pretty well sealed with no gas drops). The advice presumes the cylinder doesn't reside permanently in the vehicle. Different perhaps to the relative permanence of the MH garage arrangement where it is probably worthwhile at least arranging gas drop ventilation.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
Off topic but.

Are under slung gas tanks a whole lot safer ??

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I don't for minute - and I like your idea with the box. I don't think the box is essential though as long as the cylinder is held upright. A couple of gas drops in opposite corners of the garage should do the trick.
The problem with just standing the gas cylinder in the garage 'as is', is that any escaping gas can seep round the whole of the garage floor and as there will be other bits and bobs on stored in it, these will restrict/delay/prevent gas reaching and then escaping through any drop vents that have been installed, however if the gas is in a box any leaking gas will be contained within the box itself then go straight out of the drop vents without spreading round the garage so a LOT safer.

The issue is a bit like carrying cylinders in a car. The advice is simply to carry them upright (and the car is certainly pretty well sealed with no gas drops). The advice presumes the cylinder doesn't reside permanently in the vehicle. Different perhaps to the relative permanence of the MH garage arrangement where it is probably worthwhile at least arranging gas drop ventilation.
As you say though carrying a bottle in a car for a short time is different to it being in a MH all the time where you sleep, eat, use naked flames etc ...

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Would this be an appropriate time to say I've put a 907 on sale in the Classified?
:swear2:

I thought not!!!:whistle::whistle::whistle:

& I've got 2 +pipes & regulator to sell as well .lol

Off topic but.

Are under slung gas tanks a whole lot safer ??

Yes , outside so gas just falls to road & disperses.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back