LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Trying to cook tea tonight, well the wife is and the flame is more orange than blue, normally it is all blue. We are on propane. Any suggestions please. Wife is in panic mode and I am hungry.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Oven or Hob?

Hob... Did you spill something on it previously and missed it? I know the tops are screwed down on MoHo burners... Whereas on "normal! hobs you can remove the "cast iron" top and clean the aluminium "gas spreader" bit if it gets clogged..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
It could be just dirt or dust in the burners, or it could be that some thing you are cooking has got onto the burner and that is causing the flame to burn orange. Or it could be that your burner is not getting enough oxygen through and conversely, is producing carbon monoxide. I believe it is possible to get at the adjusters under the burners if you know what you are doing, but you would need to let it cool down first and (if you have one) consult the cooker manual. Unfortunately mine is in the van, in storage, or I would take a picture of of th relevant section and post it. Hopefully someone else has better advice. Gary

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
All three gas rings and the oven are burning orange.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Not good ... Unless someone has been going made with a load of calcium chloride !!

Seriously.. An orange flame indicates a lack of oxygen so the gas is not fully burning..
As mentioned, a very serious threat of carbon monoxide build up

Oddly enough sea salt can cause the same looking problem

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
All three gas rings and the oven are burning orange.
Have you used a spray like an underarm or fly spray or fresh air spray or a smelly candle? within your MH as this can cause the flame to burn orange rather than blue as we discovered last year. open a widow or the door for 5/10 minutes and then relight gas should be back to blue flame. If this fails you have a problem that needs fixing as already stated above is dangerous.

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Windows and doors open. Please keep suggestions coming. We are trying to find a motorhome dealer in the area. We are just north of Bayonne on a aire.

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Thanks for replys folks. We are going to try and find a repair service near us tomorrow. Internet not too good so will go to information centre tomorrow

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
Sounds like regulator.I had similar problem.After a while I turned off gas rings and flames carried on coming out.I had to turn gas off at bottle.My regular had failed.Luckily I carry a spare bottle regulator.so I bypassed the fixed regulator untill I got home.Funnily since fitting new regulator my oven work's better.It never seemed to get hot enough.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I would concur with the foregoing, especially viz getting it checked. Also when did you last fill and where?.. Odd places have been known to dispense low calorific value gas`s?

Pete

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Thanks for replys folks. We are going to try and find a repair service near us tomorrow. Internet not too good so will go to information centre tomorrow
Where are you ? Someone on here might be able to suggest someone local

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
In the Early 2000`s we used to lay over for a break at at site nr St Jean du Luz. The site owners where very helpful and informative when I had issues with my Brakes?. There was also quite a bit of industry to the North of Biaritz.? on a couple of industrial parks? which is where I got parts once. for a Fiat.

Pete

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Update...just tried the gas this morning and all is back to normal now. No I had not been drinking last night, but just wondered if it was a bit of crap in the system and has now cleared of that's possible. Thanks once again for all the response. (y)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Update...just tried the gas this morning and all is back to normal now. No I had not been drinking last night, but just wondered if it was a bit of crap in the system and has now cleared of that's possible. Thanks once again for all the response. (y)
Pleased to see that it is sorted, however it should still be checked by a professional ASAP in case it happens again and you don't notice. (y)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
As I posted it could have been something you used or something taking the oxygen from the air, but please keep an eye on it for a while just in case.

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Not all good just been out for a walk came back for cuppa and has is orange again so off it goes until we get it checked.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Just an afterthought but have you tried the gas fire? You can see the burner flame through the inspection window? If this too is burning orange then it may well point to regulator as mentioned above as it then suggests it not just the cooker at fault.
Either way, orange flame indicates unburnt gas and therefore Carbon monoxide. Therefore it could also mean you need to keep hot water boiler off as well until resolved.
Carbon monoxide alarm is a must have in a caravan or Motorhome & any living accommodation in my opinion.
Hope it's sorted soon.

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I reckon we already know.

New regulator required.

No prizes for the right answer but will let you know the outcome. But think you will be right. Still it's got to be done we are away for another 4 months yet.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back