Free Member
Jan 3, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Ford transit twin wheel
Exp
3 years
Hi guys . Just wondering whilst in the uk using my calor gas bottles and regulator . What can I do whilst in Europe. I noticed while in France the regulators where different or am I wrong and I can get refills that has same fittings?? Thanks in advance

OP
OP
Jeff and terri

Jeff and terri

Free Member
Jan 3, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Ford transit twin wheel
Exp
3 years
Will I need to purchase a 907 type and new regulator??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
You won't get calor in Europe, gaz yes and other local bottles. If your a serious Europe traveller then refillable bottles are the answer, gasit was our choice but there are others.

OP
OP
Jeff and terri

Jeff and terri

Free Member
Jan 3, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Ford transit twin wheel
Exp
3 years
Gaslow?? Sorry what is that I thought that some bottles had similar thread as 4.5kg 21.8 LH thread.and gasit ?? Sorry I don't know these .. And thanks for your replies

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Go on line,,Gas It are refillable bottles which you can refill at the LPG pumps at filling stations throughout Europe..BUSBY.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
gasit.co.uk should find them. We have just fitted an underslung tank from them.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Blue calors are butane, which will be no good if the temperature drops near to zero. You really need propane, even if you are going to keep with the Calor (or other make) bottles. And, have others have said, different bottles will be needed in different countries in Europe. If you do go for Camping gaz (your reference to 907 bottles) that will still be butane and it will cost you a lot of money, although they are available widely in Europe.

If you are serious about touring Europe then I recommend you invest in a refillable bottle system that can be filled with autogas in garages throughout Europe. There are several suppliers of these including Gasit, Gaslow and Alugas. Do some googling to find them.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
However, if you are not a serious Euro traveller, you can go to France and buy/hire a small bottle from ANY supermarket, go into the supermarket and buy an appropriate reg. Or adaptor (you don, t mention whether you have a built in reg.
The french do not charge an arm and leg for their bottles and they can be swopped at any garage of the same supermarket brand.
Whilst refillable bottles are the way to go if you are to go over the water regularly, I appreciate that it, s a fairly big outlay at first.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
You could buy a French regulator at one of the French B&Q and then set up a bottle hire contract (usually free at 'SuperU') and use their Butane bottles while you are in Europe. It will take you day to get organise but then you are done forever.
I've also installed a tee piece with a UK regulator on one tail and a French one on the other. Each become a stand by in either country.

OP
OP
Jeff and terri

Jeff and terri

Free Member
Jan 3, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Ford transit twin wheel
Exp
3 years
Thanks for all your replies . I like steal always idea of a tee piece . I have two 4.5kg bottles underneath van in a purpose made frame that secures them in there . Not really got anywhere else to fit any different size bottles. So I will just take two full bottles 9 kg should last me for a month I'm hoping :)

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
If you search this forum you will most likely find the answers to all your questions, well about gas anyway!:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Jeff and terri

Jeff and terri

Free Member
Jan 3, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Ford transit twin wheel
Exp
3 years
Thanks I did notice there was a lot on this subject in previous threads :)

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
How long are you planing to spend away in France . I take / have in the gas locker 2 x 6kg propane bottles usually lasts me for 3 weeks in june or sept with still quite a bit left . I do have a 907 camping gas bottle for the BBQ.
Obviously if going for more than 4 weeks yep gasit or similar might be appropriate.

Jan 9, 2017
Luton
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
How long are you planing to spend away in France . I take / have in the gas locker 2 x 6kg propane bottles usually lasts me for 3 weeks in june or sept with still quite a bit left . I do have a 907 camping gas bottle for the BBQ.
Obviously if going for more than 4 weeks yep gasit or similar might be appropriate.
I had been watching this thread with interest as I have just brought a van and it has 2 x 6KG bottles. I am planning a trip to france for 12-14 days and I would have the fridge on EHU, but there would be some cooking and showering- so based on your reply I should be OK, that is a relief- any thanks!!!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for all your replies . I like steal always idea of a tee piece . I have two 4.5kg bottles underneath van in a purpose made frame that secures them in there . Not really got anywhere else to fit any different size bottles. So I will just take two full bottles 9 kg should last me for a month I'm hoping :)
You do not say when you are going. If the winter or early spring or late autumn then you are likely to have problems with butane. And if you use gas for heating in those periods 9kg will be nowhere near enough. Even if in the summer I think 9kg is going to be pushing it, and if you use gas for the fridge I suspect you will have no chance.

Your best bet in the long run could well be to look for a fixed chassis mounted refillable gas tank (rather than bottles) from Gasit or Gaslow. That goes underneath the van.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Thanks I did notice there was a lot on this subject in previous threads :)

Just a thought , you could take a 3rd 4.5kg . As said before it depends on the time of year you go, 3 bottles propane no prob if going between june to sept.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
I had been watching this thread with interest as I have just brought a van and it has 2 x 6KG bottles. I am planning a trip to france for 12-14 days and I would have the fridge on EHU, but there would be some cooking and showering- so based on your reply I should be OK, that is a relief- any thanks!!!

Hi @SMO129,
Yep you certainly should be OK , we only use aires , so don't use ehu , run it for cooking , washing & showering .

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
i looked at all the previous threads on this and had one 6kg refillable bottle fitted and retained a lightweight calor bottle for flexibility. I also have a small calor for the portable stove. Three weeks in France in the summer including travelling from scotland and we didn't use half the refillable bottle.

OP
OP
Jeff and terri

Jeff and terri

Free Member
Jan 3, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Ford transit twin wheel
Exp
3 years
Decided to take 3x4.5kg bottles that should do the trick fingers crossed if I get caught out I'll find a way around it I'm sure . Thanks for all your replies :)

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Jeff,
I'm sure you'll be OK. lots of people eat out , rather than cook etc in their vans , so that save's gas .
me personally I prefer to bbq or cook in the van & in just over 3 weeks we've used about 10 kg

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have just got back from a wander around Wales and I was away from home for 5 nights using only gas for heating and fridge with a few cuppas, I filled up when I got home and it took 26 litres of gas to fill the twin bottles so I did think I had used a lots out of the twin 11kgs bottles. over a bottle for 5 nights???? is that alright, the heating was rarely fired up as the silver screens were on and it is arctic rate grade 3 van. It seems to be the fridge running all the time that uses most, even with shields on and lower setting for the thermostat.

OP
OP
Jeff and terri

Jeff and terri

Free Member
Jan 3, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Ford transit twin wheel
Exp
3 years
Wow!!! That seems a lot . Hope I will have enough . Although I'm not sure how much 26 litres is in relation to kgs??

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I have just got back from a wander around Wales and I was away from home for 5 nights using only gas for heating and fridge with a few cuppas, I filled up when I got home and it took 26 litres of gas to fill the twin bottles so I did think I had used a lots out of the twin 11kgs bottles. over a bottle for 5 nights???? is that alright, the heating was rarely fired up as the silver screens were on and it is arctic rate grade 3 van. It seems to be the fridge running all the time that uses most, even with shields on and lower setting for the thermostat.
This does seem around the same as I got. I was out between Xmas and New Year - Cooking Full meals both Xmas day and NY eve, heating on all the time with winter covers on fridge and I used circa 18 litres. EHU for Xmas day and NY eve only.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back