Gas bottles on the euro tunnel (1 Viewer)

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Good then you've now't to worry about.
Me I have them fitted to my present and previous MH as it saves guessing when the gas will run out AND should they suddenly decide to follow the rules I wouldn't want a holiday ruined for he sake of a few quid

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
They won't prove you only have 80% and they're not concerned about how little you have left.
If in doubt carry your gas bottle certificate of compliance.
CA_12111415563302-X2.jpg

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have a gauge on the tank and a display on the dash. We always get asked if the gas is off but rarely check when I say the "gas taps are inside, you don't mind dogs do you? There are 2 in the van"
Coming back on Monday, the guy at the French side asked if the taps were off ( I actually turned the one off on the tank underneath) and he looked at it then asked if it was more than 75% full. It wasn't, but he didn't check. No-one has ever checked the gauge on the tank, but its plain to see if you lie under the van and get your head up between the gas tank and body skirt....
Allan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
When you buy a tank sender unit (gauge) it states that it is not calibrated nor accurate, only a guide.
The only way to prove the contents is to know the weight of the tank and the weight of LPG (1L of LPG weighs 0.51KG). They are not going to start taking vehicles to pieces to prove the 80% shut off is working correctly :LOL:
CA_11211416093036-L.jpg

Last edited:

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
I'm only repeating what their rules state quite clearly in black and white. What they might or might not do is a whole new matter BUT and I expect its a big but if anything goes wrong because no one checked I guarantee there'll be hell to pay. Remember the Roll on Roll off ferry traveling to Zeebrugge (better known even before the incident as Roll on and Roll over ferry's).
Don't just rely on the providers getting it right because as costs are always a factor there will be a cutting of corners (as in the ferry disaster) and a lack of inspection hence safety doesn't bode well at all

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Tanks & bottles are designed to be 'full' when 80% of their internal volume is taken up by liquefied gas. So pretty much every contents gauge designed to be read by the user shows Full at the 80% mark - it doesn't show 80%.

Add to this that most contents gauges by design don't move off the Full mark until the tank is below 50% & it becomes apparent that reading the contents gauge is no help at all in establishing whether or not the tank contents fall within the regulations.

I'm sure tunnel management are well aware of this.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Correct so it doesn't say "even more full" if it has 90%

What they really mean is that refillable tanks/bottles must be designed to only carry 80%. There is no way to ascertain that in a spot check, a degree of faith is applied.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Sorry but you do NOT need a reader ... in all the years we've been going abroad, both on ferry and Eurotunnel, we have never ever been questions as to the quantity of gas in the bottles, only whether they are on or off.
Sorry but I think your wrong
From the Chunnels own website. The highlight in red is mine

Fixed gas containers (tanks, etc.)
For the purposes of this text, this means fixed containers that are permanently installed or fixed in a vehicle and are refillable from outside the vehicle.

The quantity of gas is limited to 47kg (or approximately 93 litres) maximum for a single container and to 50kg (or approximately 99 litres) maximum in the case of several containers. Each container must be no more than 80% full.

The quantity will be checked via the gauge or remote indicator but if neither are present, the vehicle will be refused.
I said you do NOT NEED a reader ... I did NOT say that they hadn't request it be fitted in their blurb ... the real situation is different as I and others can attest to ...

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm not worried, I fitted it.
Up to you of course ... but I stand totally by my suggestion - you have only ONE bracket on your pipe so the pipes themselves are taking some of the stress due to movement, more than they would if they had more brackets on ... until our pipe decided to come apart from the coupling there were no signs it would do so ... your risk.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
There is no movement.You are judging from a picture, I think I am better placed to judge.
How many clips have you on your pipes now? not one leaving the manifold has a clip. I reckon you need about 10 and I'm coming to check! make sure you don't park near me until we have photos :xrofl:

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
There is no movement.You are judging from a picture, I think I am better placed to judge.
How many clips have you on your pipes now? not one leaving the manifold has a clip. I reckon you need about 10
Wrong I'm afraid, that was the situation after the fire but before it was all stripped out and redone under the supervision of a CORGI registered LPG inspector (this was back in 2005) and the replacement piping was a thing of 'beauty' afterwards, unfortunately I haven't got any photos of it and we haven't got that MH now.

As for their being no movement in your pipe ... regardless of whether you can feel any movement yourself, during transit it WILL have some vibration going through it and it is this that can weaken joints etc ... having been in such a frightening situation myself I certainly would NOT risk it for the sake of a few brackets ... you also need to satisfy yourself that, if something did happen, that your insurance company would pay out ...

If you are happy with your arrangement then, as I said, that's up to you ...

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes completely. I would have a look at your fridge and hob connections you'll crap yourself

Last edited:

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
The reader and the turn off and on valve combined that was fitted in our previous MH was attached to the gas bottle neck and the pipe screwed into that so little or no chance of that dislocating. In our present MH the bottles are refillable and therefore a permanent fixture AND they have a reader which I believe is a standard fit

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yes completely. I would have a look at your fridge and hob connections you'll crap yourself
?????

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The reader and the turn off and on valve combined that was fitted in our previous MH was attached to the gas bottle neck and the pipe screwed into that so little or no chance of that dislocating. In our present MH the bottles are refillable and therefore a permanent fixture AND they have a reader which I believe is a standard fit
????? We have a Gaslow bottle with a 'reader' (ie gauge) on it but it can only be read with a mirror due to the way the bottle fits in the locker ... our filler is also within the locker ... but we have NEVER EVER EVER been asked how much gas there is in it or when we had standard Calor bottles either.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
a typical fridge connection, clips in abundance.
CA_08041314144488-X2.jpg

... the difference being that the converter did that as part of the original installation and therefore the insurance company would accept that it wasn't due to YOUR 'negligence' if you made a claim. With a self-installation IMV it would have to be clearly the best it could be if they were going to honour a claim - I'm not saying that you are negligent, but just that I can't see the point in risking it for the sake of a couple of clips!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
You used a professional who made a bollox of it and a gas tester who did the same. You don't do anything yourself.
I do my own work because I am competent and I don't have things go wrong.
As for perceived risk, that is your perception.

This was done by the "pro" and he even put the stepped olive the wrong way around in the 8to10 reducer
CA_04081321532082-L.jpg

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Using a brass T on a steel gas pipe is more likely the reason your fitting came apart rather than the lack of a clip. All the nuts and olives on your manifold and pipes are steel on steel.
fire-2-jpg.49497

OP
OP
955matt

955matt

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
bexhill on sea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks again , I won't worry about how much is in the bottles, I don't have a gauge and they are removable anyway.

Off too the big D park near Paris for my son for Christmas and Boxing Day as a surprise , then off skiing for the new year ( snow permitting ;-))) )

Cheers Matt

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back