Gas Bottles in Different Countries (1 Viewer)

Henry y Min

Free Member
Mar 19, 2016
Earth
Funster No
MH
Dont
Exp
Not Getting one now
We hope we are not repeating our question as we have not figured out how to search for previously asked questions without going through each individual thread - if there is a way I hope somebody will point me in the right direction.

Our question is we assume that in say Spain (where we live) and France and Portugal and UK all have different gas bottles - so my questions is how do other motorhome owners get over this issues when they are spending a few months in each country? How would you for example get a Spanish bottle filled or exchanged in another country? We are sure that an adaptor for each country may help but you would end up with more than the normal two cylinders.

Many thanks

Henry & Min

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
I can confirm that a Spanish repsol propane cylinder cab be exchanged in Portugal and vice versa. Refillable cylinders are best answer. Google gasit or gaslow. These can be refilled at autogas stations throughout Europe but a country specific adapter will be required. France and Portugal use the dish adapter, Spain it's own, UK their own. Autogas is a blend of propane and butane. In Spain mostly butane so not good if cold. France, Portugal and UK it's either propane or mostly propane and OK in cold weather.
Alternatively you could fit a lpg tank instead of a cylinder but make sure it's for a vapour take off, cars use liquid take off.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

Henry y Min

Free Member
Mar 19, 2016
Earth
Funster No
MH
Dont
Exp
Not Getting one now
Many thanks both for your very helpful comments. Have already contacted gaslow and will now contact gasit and look at other options. Thanks again

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
There is a further refillable option to Gaslow and Gasit and that is Alugas as fitted by Autogas2000. Be very careful that you are comparing apples with apples as there a couple of different types of refillables – 2 valves (older type and nothing wrong with them) and 4 hole gas bottles.

I priced both Gasit, Gaslow and Autogas 2000 who supply both steel (Prakto and Stako) and aluminium bottles (Alugas) if you are struggling for payload and went for the Alugas MV system which having used it for a week I am delighted with (currently sitting in an empty very quiet aire in a tiny French village running uk gas!).

The Alugas MV system also seems to have a reasonable gauge on it plus it was fitted. The difference in the price between DIY Gasit and Gaslow was about £75.00 so for me as drilling of a holes in the skirt was required I was happy for someone else to do it who knew what they were doing, so was worth the extra and a great job was done too. Horses for course as they say.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Another vote for Alugas, I have had 2x11kg for several years and find them very satisfactory. The gauges are quite accurate as long as you bear in mind they don't start going down till they're half empty, We have separate remote gauges for each bottle and only have one bottle on at a time, fill up when we start the second bottle.
Alugas are quite a bit lighter than the others which is a plus, though I have chucked out a load of the stuff swmbo fills the MH up with, just need to stop her putting it all back.

Upvote 0

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
We also live in Spain and travel to France and UK as well as Germany and Portugal. We had Alugas fitted 4 years ago and is one of the best things we did. When we fill up with diesel we also do LPG so never run out of gas. The outlay is covered within a year. Last time we checked total fill LPG around 13 euro's

Upvote 0

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Under slung tank on ours, 90ltr capacity so can fill to 72ltrs with the 80% rule, never run out in the last 3 years.

Topped up at Thetford a few weeks ago, 40 litres for less than £20, big capacity means you can leave filling until you find a decent price per litre.

Hymie

Upvote 0

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
in benidorm they buy them from the market,then sell them back when they leave,around 8 to 10 euro for empty then refill around 15 euro

Upvote 0

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
100% Refillable system is what you need, we also live in Spain, not too far from yourselves, in the summer we travel around Europe, start in Spain with 2 full cylinders, as we progress on our trip we Top up when we see Autogas on sale.
Its not necessary to wait until you have empty cylinders, just Top up and travel on.
If you need any further information about motorhoming in Spain, you can contact us direct via this web...Start a conversation.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back