Gas bottle size Alugas

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by lorger, Mar 20, 2013.

1. lorger

lorger Funster

Phoned Alugas yesterday and think I will be going ahead and buying one off the 11k bottles, my lockers is big enough for two but only have 2 x 6k bottles in just now.

The difference in price between a steel and alloy one is £60 and the difference in weight is only 4k so the fact I will only have one of these does the 4k really make a difference I have also just had the van replated to add another 350k so should be ok weight wise.

So has anyone else got the steel one or do you all have the alloy.

2. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

Get 2 refillables Gerry, so much cheaper when you fill up. You can always keep a spare calor bottle at home or in the van garage :thumb:

3. lorger

lorger Funster

Thought about two Ken don't know if I could justify the price as we only use about two six k bottles a year so will take a while to get the cost back for one never mind two. If we go for the one we can always add a second if we start using it more.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SIFTA SAM

SIFTA SAM Read Only Funster

As I stated last week:- 11Kg Gaslow cylinder with gauge, £120 including delivery from Hamiltons. Is this the price comparison you're using?

5. lorger

lorger Funster

Have phoned them assuming its the correct company in Bangor NI for the bottle and refill kit they are coming out at £242 and would need to purchase an adapter if wanting to keep a propane bottle, Alugas are £240 including adapter and still to take 5% off that price for fun discount.

• Like Like x 1
  6. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

Yes Gerry but you will have to drive down to Thirsk to see Alugas :Rofl1:

Have you considered a single underslung tank from Alugas. We did but didnt have enough room/place to fit one - prop shaft was in the way? You would free up your gas locker completely then:thumb:

7. lorger

lorger Funster

Yes Ken had thought of the fitted tank again though hard to justify the cost as it would be a bit extra.

As for going to Alugas its free delivery so no need and should be able to fit it myself with a hammer and screwdriver :Rofl1::Rofl1:

8. Phill D

Phill D

hi Gerry, we have a steel 11kg gasit like you could not justify ( at the moment ) the cost of 2. can always be retrofitted anyway..

its an easy fit youll have it done in an hour.:thumb:

9. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I fitted one x steel 11kg refillable bottle and went for the option of having the pigtail switchable to a standard Calor bottle ( nice chap at Autogas explained it all and I seem to remember the price difference was just a couple of beer tokens )
    When doing long out of the way runs I carry a spare 6kg calor bottle 'just in case' but in all honesty have never yet had to use it !

10. SIFTA SAM

SIFTA SAM Read Only Funster

Sorry Gerry, thought you was after a replacement bottle only.

11. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

I have only ever had one refillable gas low bottle. 11kg. I then have an emergency calor light in the locker.

In 8 years we have never been caught out,
    When going away in winter for more than 3 nights, we use the small bottle first, I know even in -20 with the heating on 24/7 we can get 3 days out of a full gas low ...

When skiing we take 1 gas low and two further 11kg bottles this gives us 9 days without problems high up in the alps.

I personally based on my 8 years of using refillable bottles would not see any need for shelling out on two bottles for the amount you use.

The only difference I will/might make is to install an underslung tank to increase space as I want to use my gas locker to store my genny

12. autogas 2000

autogas 2000 Read Only Funster

Hi Gerry,

I am out of the office at present down at Newark show so have limited access to my usual Internet connection so I am typing this out on the iPad.
    If your down or coming to Newark show do call in as we are on stand w17.
    With regards to alugas bottles then another option is the rv cylinder that we stock as these are steel and available in 11kg, slightly heavier but same make as Gaslow. We have both on the stand just in case you want to compare.
    There are some details on our autogas leisure website under the bottles section at the bottom there is PDF for both Alugas and the Rv cylinder.

Just a thought so that you have both options.

Just a note for others show at Newark looks good and ground conditions also good at present. no snow and it's not raining so all positive .

Regards

Chris

• Like Like x 4
  13. lorger

lorger Funster

Thanks for the reply Chris I won't be making the Newark show so won't be able to pop round for a chat. I think I have made my mind up :Rofl1::Rofl1: you seem to be offering the best deal for me just weighing up my options regarding steel or lightweight bottle. I'm hoping to have it before Chester rally as my propane bottles are empty so this is the best time to change, will let you or your company know by Friday.

Thanks again for the help
    Gerry

14. lorger

lorger Funster

Phoned Autogas today and got a very helpful lady called Wendy she talked me through everything I needed and advised me on a few other things I might need in the future. As it was after 1 when I phoned she wasn't sure if they could get it out today got a call back 20 minutes later to say all packed up and on the van so should be here tomorrow.

Hopefully have it fitted for Saturday and filled up for use at Chester not that we will need heating as I'm sure it will be roasting anyway:Rofl1:

Will let you all know how it goes.

15. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Newly fitted 11 kg Gasit bottle, then "off"

Filled up the newly fitted Gasit 11 kg steel bottle yesterday,( 21.8 ltrs of gas ) checked for leaks with the supplied spray, No leaks... Ready to rock and roll now, Ferry booked 3 April to Calais, then down to Dordoigne area and " Pootle " about there in river valleys, look at Limousin, "pootle" there and then play it off the cuff and see what the weather dictates. Might have to head for Spain if the sun is'n't up by then.. 3 months to find some..
    . .Mitch and Jenny.. :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  16. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi Mitch and Jenny just wondering how much did it cost to fill the bottle.

17. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Hi Jerry.. £13.08 plus the dreaded. Just need the Aires book to find all the Gas sites in France, it lists them in the back... Good luck Mitch..:thumb:

18. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Hi Gerry, I topped up at Low Row Service Station on the A69 (E of Brampton) on Wednesday, 18.27 litres total cost £14.05p :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  19. lorger

lorger Funster

Thanks Mitch and Stewart seems about average.

Stewart did you make it to D&G

20. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Yep we made it and looks though we'll be trapped here a while with all this snow:Eek!::Eek!::Eek!: