LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Hi. How do I find out/check how much gas remains in a gas bottle? Chausson Flash 10 (2012)

Thanks

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
You actually have diesel heating so won't see a ring of condensation unless the water heater cooker and fridge are all going like the clappers!!! so only way to tell is take it out and weigh it. I would suggest getting a gasit refillable its cheaper to fill has a gague on it that sort of works and you can top it up without waiting until its empty. The gas locker only takes one bottle so would have to put the spare in the back locker and not supposed to do that in theory as there are no gas vents if theres a leak.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Hi. How do I find out/check how much gas remains in a gas bottle? Chausson Flash 10 (2012)
Reading this I truly appreciate the refillable systems. Like awnings that are an extra on most new vans but should be included unless you opt out of having one, the refillable gas bottles should be included. One of the first items I was offered when buying a new (to me) van, was a couple of large Propane bottles. Deduct the cost of these and the refillable bottle price would be a little more reasonable. From our first proper van to now we have always had refillable gas; it is cheaper, much more convenient, with no risk of heavy lifting or knocking the body when changing bottles.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
HTF does that work?
It is held against the side of the tank, moving down when it detects contents ie gas it gives a signal and lights up..........or something like that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
It is held against the side of the tank, moving down when it detects contents ie gas it gives a signal and lights up..........or something like that.
For some reason which I don't understand, the Dometic blurb states it's "not suitable use on self refilling cylinders" I assume this refers to Alugas & Gaslow type cylinders.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
For some reason which I don't understand, the Dometic blurb states it's "not suitable use on self refilling cylinders" I assume this refers to Alugas & Gaslow type cylinders.
Not much good if you only have one refillable then.

Edit .. Dometic state that the workings inside refillable bottles can deflect the signal and confuse it......... Refillable bottles come with a gauge on them ....... Not very accurate but you can get to grips with it and it will give you plenty warning that your needing a top up.

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
HTF does that work?

Sonar. It's "pings" an ultrasonic signal and measures the return. Different time if you are above or blow the liquid level.

Does not work with Gaslow, the reflection off the shut off valve inside screws up the reading.

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
I sell LPG and in 30 years have not found a single reliable content gauge.
Many customers bring a cylinder back with say up to 75%left, I tell most.
Not all :)

I have a dometic pen type one that was given from Calor, USELESS!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
We keep the dog in the gas locker. She just barks when the bottles running low. Its a sense us humans dont have. (y)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Jan.2014
I'm not going down the route of suggesting refillable gas systems, but, as the owner of one just installed, we had to do some checking with it to know just how much we were using so that we wouldn't run out.

After one week 'off grid' we had used 5 Lts. Ie 2 1/2 kilos. After 15 nights off grid with a little bit of extra heating (cold nights, early mornings, Northern Spain) we nad used 15 Lts ie 7 1/2 kgs.

Phone set to remind us in 2 weeks from last fill.We only have one 11kgs bottle.
Hope this helps

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I find the gauge on ours goes down fast from full to empty when its about 1/2 to 1/3 still left so don't need the phone reminder. The big advantage for me is if its only part used theres no problem just top it up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back