Gas BBQ

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Dogsense, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Dogsense

Dogsense Funster

HI
    Need advice about gas pressure for use of the gas external point (AutoTrail Dalawer), the BBQHI can work with LPG but with 30 mbar. What is the pressure that coming out of the external point?
    Thanks

2. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Same as all your appliances fed from the regulator 30mb unless a very old van pre 2004 37mb
    Your regulator will have the pressure marked on it

3. zac

zac Funster Life Member

I have a Autotrail Delaware and the BBQ i have runs ok from the external GAS point on LPG :)

4. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

We plug our Cadac into the external point and all is well.
    All at 30 mbar same as the rest of the vans supply.
    Mitch.

5. Dogsense

Dogsense Funster

Thank you all.
    I am in Netherland and they recommending to have a filter to reduce the amount of oil that is in th LPG before reaching the appliances (Fridge, Hob, oven, BBQ). Anybody know if there is a filter in the AutoTrail befor/after the regulator? Or will it be good to install one?

6. Autowbars

Autowbars Funster

Forget about the filter, oil in LPG is miniscule approx 1 litre of oil in over 1million litres of LPG.
    You will have bigger things to worry about in this life.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

You don't need the filter ... they like to 'worry' you that if you don't have one you'll have all sorts of problems - we've never had any in 7 years of using refillable gas cylinders.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Dogsense

Dogsense Funster

I have refillable gas bottles and fill them in petrol station so don't know how reliable the gas is.
    Campinggas uk say that if using LPG will lose the warranty.

9. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Well put it like this.......are the roads where you are clogged with broken down cars which run on forecourt LPG.
    They are a lot more finicky than a regular gas system.

10. Minxy Girl

That's what we do, have had an 11kg Gaslow refillable cylinder for 7 years, never had a problem with and of the equipment in our motorhomes.

Not sure exactly what you mean by this ... Campingaz don't sell user-refillable bottles - what is the warranty you're referring to, ie what equipment etc is it related to?

11. Dogsense

Dogsense Funster

12. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

Gaslow bottles have filters in them already, so any impurities would be filtered before the regulator. @Techno had used filters for an age and on inspection after some years didn't have any sign of oil debris. Someone else posted recently that the Gas-it refill point has a filter fitted to it, so again no impurities get to the bottle let alone the regulator. If you use the campingaz grill with either of the refillable systems there shouldn't be any snags.

13. SandraL

SandraL Funster

Could it be that campingaz expect you to use their own cylinder which is mostly butane . Butane burns hotter than propane so running off autogas in uk will mean running on propane and bbq will not be so hot. Remember it is not designed for use in the van, so not designed for either gas at 30mbar which is what bulkhead regulator will supply. Their comment re warranty gets them out of claim this bbq is not hot enough! If running on propane at 30mbar. With a kettle it just takes longer but a bbq needs to be at correct hot temperature.

14. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

15. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

We have a Gas-it refillable system with two 11kg bottles and NO problem with oil residue..
    I think we have a filter on the fill point and each bottle has one.
    Mitch.

16. Minxy Girl

Ah, I understand now - they're just covering themselves - I don't know how they would be able to tell if you were using LPG from a system which didn't have the 'filter' in it that they are referring to, however, as mentioned above there are filters in the systems somewhere (different places depending on which you have). If you feel happier then by all means put an extra filter in but I've never heard of anyone having problems running external equipment from a refillable system.

17. Dogsense

Dogsense Funster

Thank you.

18. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Not exactly true Jim. Propane is LPG (Liquified Petroleum Gas) but so is Butane so LPG covers a multitude of gases although we rally only use two for Autogas, Butane and Propane.

To the OP, Campingaz are extracting the yellow wet stuff, their equipment is designed ti run on Butane or Propane, both are LPG. LPG is the blanket description for gaseous fuels derived from the petrochemical industry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquefied_petroleum_gas
    D.

19. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Having spent the best part of my career with Amoco UK Oil, off shore production, and Shell UK at Shelllhaven refinery in Essex as an Instrument Technician, I know all about LPG Dave.. don't need wiki

I should have said LPG from a forecourt Autogas pump in the UK is propane.. that is what the OP was referring to when he was taking about refillable.. and what I was referring to .. As far as I am aware there are no LPG pumps that retail Butane gas to the public.. LPG at the pump is the same gas as sold in a red Propane bottle

Also aware that Autogas can also be a mix of Butane and Propane in other countries, .. but not in the UK.. there are however trace gases not worth mentioning..

except for medical, scientific and industrial calibration gasses, no gas is 100% pure..

• Useful Useful x 1