Gas Bbq Recommendations Please

Discussion in 'Fridges & Ovens' started by Oriel, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Oriel

Oriel

Hi,

We have a Weber charcoal BBQ but would like to get a gas one. Which make/model would you recommend? I'd like one that will roast as well.

2. Gizmouk

Gizmouk Funster

We, like many others (it seems), have the Cadac Safari chef.
    Excellent bit of kit :)

3. Martin OSullivan

Martin OSullivan

Cadac carri chef, larger than the Safari model but it depends on how many you need to cook for

4. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

The Cadac Safari is easy to use and clean afterwards. It's not a real BBQ I suppose but it allows you to cook outside. Only problem we have found is the flame gets blown out if it is turned down low and it is windy. We need to find some sort of windbreak.

The Weber go anywhere gas BBQ is good as a real BBQ but it needs cannisters unless you can find the expensive adaptor which allows you to run it off the MH gas system. But the Cadac is more versatile.

5. travelbunyip

travelbunyip Funster

I agree the Cadac has served us well for the past 6 years and we will be using ours tonight. Everything cleans up so easily.

6. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Cadac Safari Chef for us as well. Love it.

7. talaris

talaris Read Only Funster

Cadac safari every time. Packs small, cleans easy and really easy to cook on.

8. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Cadac Safari - A great BBQ without the mess
    Does great bacon in the morning too on the griddle plate

9. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

The Cadac isn't really a BBQ, more an outdoor cooker (light blue touch paper and retire immediately).

I have a Weber Q200 that gives good results for BBQ and roasting. In fact I have two, one on the patio and one in the van (long story). Trouble is it is really too big for the two of us, and takes up too much room in the van's garage and is heavy. So I am looking for something smaller and lighter at the moment - will probably buy in the USA (visiting daughter) where choice and prices are much better.

10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I have the Weber Go Anywhere barbie.. 'probably' the best portable charcoal BBQ .. can't be beaten..

had a Cadac Carri Chef and it's now in the skip .. apart from the griddle plate which I use on the Weber..

but if you want the convenience of gas they also do that
    Weber Go Anywhere gas BBQ
    http://www.oaktreegardencentre.com/...UcukCakDNNrghKSCosIgkCK6mkV0lQKqkmxoCv3Xw_wcB

11. Oriel

Oriel

• Like Like x 1
  12. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

It is but you will need to get what they call the caravan adaptor kit (assuming you have an external BBQ point) because as standard it works off of small canisters. Scroll further down the page you have linked to find it.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

We had the Baby Weber which is almost the same as this one and I converted it to my LPG on the van. It's a very nice BBQ but we found it a bit to big for just the two of us plus the setting up and cleaning did not make it handy and easy to use. We now have the Cadac Safari Chef and find it much more fit for purpose in a motorhome.

14. chaser

chaser Funster

We have a cadac after seeing people on here raving about them, but I'm afraid we are less than impressed with it, in fact the last couple of times we've been out in the van , it's stayed at home, going to France tomorrow but not taking it , easy to clean ? don't think so , easy to use? not in our knowledge, takes a while to put together and take apart and pack it all back in its bag,I think a lot of folks have bought them then don't like to say they are not as good as made out.
    You could be eat and done with a disposable while still putting the cadac together.

15. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Well I can't speak for the other Cadac models, but the Safari Chef couldn't be more simple :rolleyes:

1. Take out of bag (10 seconds)
    2. Fold out legs (5 seconds)
    3. Place fat pan on (5 seconds)
    4. Place griddle on (5 seconds)
    5. Connect to gas ( 10 seconds)
    6. Light it and cook away! :cheers:

That's less than a minute...cook a two minute steak and I bet that's quicker than on a disposable (y)

• Like Like x 2
  16. chaser

chaser Funster

Our legs have to slotted together and they have to be the right way round and what about the washing when it's all greased up and doesn't fit the sink.

17. chaser

chaser Funster

I am not knocking the cadac for the sake of it , as I say we have one but for just staying on aires for one night they just aren't worth the hassle, if you are camped up in one place for a week or so then that's a different story, but we never are.
    Just putting the other side of the facts , that's all(y)

18. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

There is more than one type of Cadac.

If you had the bigger Carry Chef then you are probably right in what you say. Never used one so don't know.

If you have the smaller Safari Chef, which is what @davidandginny was referring to then it is more than worth it for one night. We use ours all the time. Less than a minute from bag to lit and it really is no harder to clean than a frying pan. We used ours at the weekend for one meal and it took me less time to clean and pack it away than it took 'er indoors to do the rest of the washing up.

• Like Like x 2
  19. chaser

chaser Funster

Here's Julie with our only time we used it in UK , we have used it a couple of times in France but don't think we'll be bothering again.
    Notice it's even still got the wrapper on one leg.
    image.jpg

20. Adrian & Alison

Adrian & Alison Read Only Funster

We have Both .. Carri Chef for when we are staying in one place for a few days or racing and have to cook for 4 / 5 where we can leave it assembled & the Safari Chef for the times its just the two of us & Touring both great bits of kit in my opinion although as "DBK" says the safari does need a windbreak (which we have)

• Like Like x 2