Gas and leccy bill rant

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by MichelleRyall, Oct 15, 2016.

1. MichelleRyall

MichelleRyall Funster

Following on from my home insurance moan. ( now resolved , much cheaper) British Gas wish to increase my monthly gas and electric bill by £20, purely on forecasted usage. I am already £155 in credit. They do this every flipping year and then I have to go to the effort of contacting them to try to leave it where it is. I have a smart meter being fitted soon which will allow me to adjust payments if my usage does go up. Well they can jog on. :mad:

• Like Like x 5
  2. Larby

Larby Funster

With their planned increase they know your credit will be wiped out.

• Like Like x 2
  3. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

Sadly it is the way most companies (and charities and many other organisations) go about business these days. Get people on board then screw them for whatever they can get out of them. The phrase from the movie comes to mind, "greed is good".

I assume it is also part of management training nowadays.

Ethics? None. Greed? Total.

Wyn

• Like Like x 4
  4. MichelleRyall

MichelleRyall Funster

True, I have this situation every single year. I have emailed saying that I am looking to change supplier. Hopefully they will just leave it alone.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Back in Sarfend for a while, then back to RSA.
    I sort-of-followed stories and TV ads about switching. I actually started the process some time ago but lost patience with the website I was using so abandonned the idea.
    Then, just over a year ago, our local authority advertised that they had come to some arrangement with a supplier to offer good terms and an easy-to-follow process to see what the new supplier could offer.
    I was with BG and Eon paying around £138 a month. The new supplier came up with a ridiculous figure to supply both gas and electricity for £66 a month. So where's the catch - I still haven't found it.
    I've been paying £66 a month since then, get very informative usage statements each month and am now in £55 credit.

I know we all have different circumstances and different power usage but difficult to understand how my current supplier can charge half of what my previous suppliers were charging - and still make a profit.

• Like Like x 2
  6. MichelleRyall

MichelleRyall Funster

I am also convinced that someone is stealing my gas anyway. I only have my hot water heated by gas in the summer, then the central heating in winter and it still costs as much as the electric !!! Bizarre.

7. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

we get 4% interest on credit balances, I am happy to let them put mine up :)

• Like Like x 4
  8. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

£31 per month for combined gas and electric and £100 credit sitting on my account. Can't complain, but I do check annually for the best rates.

• Like Like x 1
  9. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Simple, change supplier, there are better options, just look on the internet

• Like Like x 1
  10. rb62

rb62 Funster

As long as your not paying 5% more to start with than others not on that deal :whistle:

• Like Like x 2
  11. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

British Gas are a terrible company to deal with. I would switch to someone else.

I'm with EDF on a fixed price plan. The last two times the plan has ended and I've had to start another one the monthly payment has gone down.

I know it won't be the same for everyone but it works for me.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

You'll be able to check your usage daily when you get your smart meter. I do.

Have you checked that you are on the best tariff? I noticed on my last bill that BG recommended switching to Sainsbury's (still BG, obviously) to get a better price.

I fixed until October 2017 using Moneysavingexpert.com - still BG but a bit cheaper and no nasty surprises for a while, at least :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Kick BG into touch they're an awful company took me 10 months to get £78.00 off them.
    We're now with OVO and really happy very easy to deal with pay ;£68.00 a month for gas and electric and currently £150.00 in credit. Do readings every month just take a pic on mobile and send it if we're away one of the kids nip round and do it.
    Simples (y)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

• Like Like x 1
  15. ABZSteve

ABZSteve Funster

Stick all your money in there then (y)

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Speve

Speve Funster

We were with SSE for years got fed up with high bills so did the local gov swap to OVO Energy they are great cut our DD and when you are in credit pay you interest.having smart meter fitted next week won't even need to read the meter then.

17. Bacchus

Bacchus Funster

Who is that with? Can I transfer all my savings from Santander as a "credit balance"????? :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. whingyraindrop

whingyraindrop Funster

I use OVO. Combined gas and electricity account. Manage the account on line. Send in meter readings monthly
    . When we are away I tend to be able to work out what the readings will be, based on the previous numbers. Customer service is superb. They also pay higher interest on any credit than the bank. You can pay a set monthly amount, which you can change yourself, on line, at any time, or a direct debit for the exact amount you use.

I used to change supplier every year and have been very unhappy with all the big names. OVO, in my opinion and three year experience, have been by far the best.

Lorraine x

Ps on doing lots of reading regarding 'smart meters'. I have decided against that option at the moment.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

You do not NEED a smart meter to check your daily usage.. it is just easier with one thats all.
    Read the meter at say 11am.. Read the meter the following day at about the same time and see what the difference is ..
    For instance, I am with SSE and the current unit cost is 11.9p
    Lets say we use 25 units.. Cost would be 11.9p x 25 PLUS standing charge of ( in our case ) 16.5p per day = £4.91 per day

This is just an example as we have a SO of £40 per month and at the moment have a worthwhile credit built up

• Like Like x 1
  20. Speve

Speve Funster

We like the idea of smart meter when away in the winter for long stay it send readings in so they are up to date