Gas abroad (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2010
South Wales
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam T-Line785
Exp
since 2009
What is the procedure with getting gas abroad. We will be spending a few weeks away at a time and was wondering what you do. At the mo we use propane calor gas bottles. Also what is the low down on coneccting water and elecrticty in Spani France etc. Need adaptors? Cheers all. We are new to this ::bigsmile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
best if you search the site for lpg adapters .there is lots of different ways .
pm me if you want a cheap way and are confident in your self.cheers alan.

Upvote 0
May 22, 2008
Funster No
HI Welshbois, you will get a lot of replies on this one, GAS, if you are away for only a couple of weeks you will manage on two Calor bottles, depending on size and usage, you can refill ,refillable bottles fairly easily in Europe if you have them, or you can obtain fairly easily gas bottles and regulators for the country you are in from service stations in Supermarkets, WATER connections are not a real problem unless you make it one, various size tap connectors are available from DIY shops here, 1/2inch, 3/4 inch and 1 inch, , to connect your hose, or simply have a hose with no connector and jam it on the tap, I personally don't use hoses at all, I just top my van up using a plastic watering can, takes a little time ,but I have plenty of that. ELECTRICITY, a lot of Continental connectors are the same as here, some however use a two pin connector which you can get easily from camp shops here before you go , Crossed polarity is common in Europe as is no EARTH connection, you can buy a gadget to test polarity from camp shops here, it is simply a plug in device with three led lights,which will indicate any problems, crossed polarity can be corrected by having another connector which is purposely crossed wired IE live to Neutral and Neutral to Live, you will have to decide for yourself if you are going to use a hook up with no Earth, if you encounter this,Have fun.:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
slightly off topic i just had 1117 ltr put in to a 1200 tank by a very well known gas company .so much for 80 per cent filling. and the tank does not have an 80percent cut off .i watched the whole operation.
sorry to cut up the post .cheers alan.

Upvote 0

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
What is the procedure with getting gas abroad. We will be spending a few weeks away at a time and was wondering what you do. At the mo we use propane calor gas bottles.

We spend up to 2 -4 months touring in France and Spain etc. I take 2 x Calor Propane) bottles and if you are going on sites occassionally and using electric hook up (EHU) and only spending a few weeks abroad, this should do.
You cannot exchange nor fill Calor bottles abroad (there are a few places but I have never found nor needed them)
If I am going for a longer period I always carry a blue Camping Gas bottle which can he exchanged just about anywhere in Europe! However you will need a different gas pipe to connect this bottle to the regulator.

Good luck :thumb:

Upvote 0

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
when are you going ?
where are you going ?
how long are you going for?
what size bottles can you get in to your locker ?
do you have on bottle regulators or on the body regulator ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Big Momma

Free Member
Oct 3, 2009
Funster No
I went to Spain for a month last summer with 2 x 6kg calor gas bottles. Didn't even empty one bottle but then again rarely used it. If you use a site then use electric to boil kettle for hot drinks and for the onboard water boiler. Used gas hobs for small amount of cooking, boiled eggs, bacon butties etc the rest of the time it was BBQ's or Salads or eating out. As previously stated, continental sites use a wide array of plug types on Electric bollards, some use the Blue Euro plug, others use 2 pin but different 2 pin plugs for France, Spain, Germany. You can purchase some from most Motorhome/Caravan accessory shops or more often than not from the site itself, ask at reception if you havn't got one.

As for water, I take a normal hose cut down to approx 5mtrs with various tap connectors. Continental sites tend to faver the screw thread type but this is not generally a problem. Always best to carry a plastic 20Ltr water container if you do not have connectors so that you can fill manually, but do not contaminate good drinking water (potable) with non-potable so use all the good water first. The water is generally okay for drinking in Holland, Belgium, Germany, France and Switzerland. Non-potable usually in Spain, Italy so buy bottled water for drinking. However you can fill your tank with non-potable for washing up (hot water) and taking showers in the van (as long as you do not swallow any). remember when you get back home to flush out your tank with appropriate tank cleaning solution and second flush through with clean water before filling again with good drinking water.

If you are moving from site to site then always empty your grey water before leaving, irrespective of whether tank is full or not. This will save weight (and give better fuel economy) but more importantly hot weather and grey waste tanks do not go well together and you can get smells coming up through plug holes.

Fuel is generally more expensive on motorways so where possible come off and use petrol station on normal roads. Do not leave your keys in the van ignition when you have stopped, either when going to pay for fuel or use local conveniences, irrespective of whether there is a passenger still in the vehicle. Never overnight on a Service Station (Aire de Service), do not confuse with Motorhome Aires which are quite safe to use.

Other than that, just use sensible safety/security precautions as you would as if you were at home and go and enjoy the freedom of motorhoming. I have only had one incident in 12 years of Motorhoming and that was partially due to my not engaging brain and applying common sense :Blush:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back