Free Member
Mar 5, 2015
Penrith
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
Since 2015
Hi was just interested to see what people thought of their Garmin satnavs purchased from Aldi a few weeks ago,.......so what do you think of it?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We've used ours on the current trip to Peterborough, Epworth and Doncaster and it has been generally OK. One suspect turn on the way to Epworth which we ignored but could well have been alright.

I find some of the built in POIs obtrusive so will look at taking them off when we get home. Also some of my custom POIs don't display but that is probably an icon problem.

Now that @lunarman has sorted out my Chinese sat nav I intend running the 2 side by side on our next trip.

OP
OP
Barbara Hughes

Barbara Hughes

Free Member
Mar 5, 2015
Penrith
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
Since 2015
We're still waiting for delivery of our new motorhome so haven't used ours yet ..I was waiting to see what everyone thought of them.. if they weren't up to much I was going to take it back as I haven't updated it yet and there was 90 days on it :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
It took me down some fairly narrow roads which included a hairpin bend in Cornwall last week. :Eeek:

The display is very clear and I like the advance warning of speed limit changes.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Took one for a spin in the car to Caerphilly last week, turned off the planned route by accident, it tried to direct us down a one way street.
May have been a recent road change, who knows.

MH trip planned next week after which its decision time keep or return. Looking very much like the latter given the fun updating it and the lack of response from Garmin about poor route choices.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Rubbish ( or should I say garbage).
On the way back from Peterborough it kept losing the satellites coming accross the M62 & up the M6. On the rare occasions the TomTom loses the satellite( tunnels, bridges etc.) The screen greys but it keeps moving allong the route. It assumes you are doing the same speed & sticking to the planned route. The Garbage(Garmin) just freezes with a big sign telling you it's lost the satellites, so you can't follow the route.
As we got near home it wasn't happy when I turned off the A590 onto a minor road ( which horse boxes & coaches etc. Use regularly) & kept telling me to turn off down even smaller roads that, A dont take me in the right direction & B are even narrower than the road I was on.
Needless to say it went back to Aldi on Thursday, no quibble from Aldi, for a refund.
A phone call to TomTom resulted in my Via 125 being upgraded to Camper version with 12 months map updates & all for £29.95.
Result!

OP
OP
Barbara Hughes

Barbara Hughes

Free Member
Mar 5, 2015
Penrith
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
Since 2015
Sounds like early days yet then, Not sure what to do ....I've had a Navman for the last few years in my car and it's been superb hmmm shall wait a little longer and see I think

OP
OP
Barbara Hughes

Barbara Hughes

Free Member
Mar 5, 2015
Penrith
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
Since 2015
Rubbish ( or should I say garbage).
On the way back from Peterborough it kept losing the satellites coming accross the M62 & up the M6. On the rare occasions the TomTom loses the satellite( tunnels, bridges etc.) The screen greys but it keeps moving allong the route. It assumes you are doing the same speed & sticking to the planned route. The Garbage(Garmin) just freezes with a big sign telling you it's lost the satellites, so you can't follow the route.
As we got near home it wasn't happy when I turned off the A590 onto a minor road ( which horse boxes & coaches etc. Use regularly) & kept telling me to turn off down even smaller roads that, A dont take me in the right direction & B are even narrower than the road I was on.
Needless to say it went back to Aldi on Thursday, no quibble from Aldi, for a refund.
A phone call to TomTom resulted in my Via 125 being upgraded to Camper version with 12 months map updates & all for £29.95.
Result!
Really that sound pretty poor to me wonder if I can get my old one updated to camper version Must have a look!!

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have had my Garmin 560 (truck satnav) for nearly two years and it has been very good. (It's a slightly smaller version of the 760.) Sometimes it chooses odd routes but generally will only direct me down a narrow road if there is no alternative. By default, it will prioritise major roads over minor ones. Note that you can set these truck Garmins to give you an option of faster time or shortest distance then it's up to you if you choose the latter. Still, it will try and keep you off small roads. I assume those having problems have set and activated the motorhome (or truck) profile with appropriate size and weight dimensions?
Personally, I would not bother with a camper version. It only has camping POIs ready installed and I prefer to get the ones I want off the internet and load them myself onto the standard 560 / 760 truck model.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We've used ours around the UK and southern Scotland..
No issues at all. Updates are simple..
Looking forward to using the basecamp planning software.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back