Garmin Sat nav (1 Viewer)

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
Having seen above that Aldi will have the 660 model available in March, I thought I'd have a look at its capabilities. There's some interesting information about the differences between the 760 and the 660 . The article explains that it uses a 'Lite' version of a truck product, so it may not have all the truck features. What it does do is use weight, size and speed in its navigation, which is good. It also warns of inclines and sharp bends, which may be very useful in certain areas. The instruction manual gives some detail as to which parameters can be altered for your vehicle and speed is one of them, which is helpful. ETA is shown by default on the screen, though you can tailor it if you wish. Where speed limits are shown, the Garmin website says these should be the limits appropriate to the type of vehicle in use. The options to 'shape' your journey look interesting.
Comparing it with CoPilot, which I have on an iPad, I can see that the advantages of buying the Garmin would be the use of vehicle height and weight in planning, where CoPilot only uses the speeds and preferences you have programmed (the more expensive Truck version at about £100 would get around that), plus realistic speed limits.
All in all, this device looks like a big step up from my old car based 1490LMT, especially for motorhome use. My 1490 has a habit of rebooting at the wrong moment and lags behind your real position significantly in cities, part of which I think is due to it having to run from an SD card because the map became too big for its internal memory.
Of course, any device is only as good as its map data, together with the user and his/her 'assistant'. Will I be queuing up at Aldi in March? Not quite sure, at the moment.

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
@PeteH I have just bought the Garmin Camper 760LMT-D (from another funster). Have never used a Sat Nav before so did not have a clue about Sat Nav workings. I downloaded Garmin Express onto my pc so that I could get map updates and then found that in garmin express tools there was a users manual which I downloaded. I have found this very good for getting to grips with the Sat Nav. Not sure if you have found the manual in garmin express as it is far more detailed than the instructions that came with it, so might be of help to you.(y)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Not sure if you have found the manual in garmin express as it is far more detailed than the instructions that came with it, so might be of help to you.(y)

Yes, first thing I downloaded. but like the rest not exactly intuitive?. Same with FAQ`s. Never really answer the Right question.

As with all these things they are written by those who already KNOW what they are doing. and often written originally not in English which loses in translation.

eg; LOCAL planners set up the traffic signage in town`s. IHMHO The job should be given to a Stranger along with a Map. Locals know where they want to be strangers don't.

Take Base Camp. The Map rendering is so basic Half the roads are missing, anything less that Motorways and A roads don't exist!. The detail shown on the video cannot be accessed. the mapping is totally different.

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Yes, first thing I downloaded. but like the rest not exactly intuitive?. Same with FAQ`s. Never really answer the Right question.

As with all these things they are written by those who already KNOW what they are doing. and often written originally not in English which loses in translation.

eg; LOCAL planners set up the traffic signage in town`s. IHMHO The job should be given to a Stranger along with a Map. Locals know where they want to be strangers don't.

Take Base Camp. The Map rendering is so basic Half the roads are missing, anything less that Motorways and A roads don't exist!. The detail shown on the video cannot be accessed. the mapping is totally different.

Pete
The reason your BaseCamp maps look basic is that you haven't installed the maps on your computer or you haven't had your device plugged in when using it.
Almost everything you have had problems with have been answered on here so just use this thread as your manual.
@scotjimland is a BaseCamp guru I believe

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Can't sing the praises of Basecamp enough. Since using it I've had no mishaps en route whatsoever. Took us from home in Notts down to Benidorm in Spain without a single hicup (y).

Mind, we were supposed to be in Florence :whistle:.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
No they don't. Local traffic engineers do that not planners.

No doubt councils would be prepared to listen, though, if somebody approached them and offered to pay the extra costs of having the job done by strangers :D

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I'm embarrased to say I just can't get to grips with BaseCamp. . Just need that eureka moment I'm sure

:whistle:
#youarenotalone

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
you haven't installed the maps on your computer or you haven't had your device plugged in when using it.

It`s "plugged in" Ok. I understood the maps to be pre-installed? and just needing updates?

Pete

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
I have had Garmin Nuvi for some years now - used it in UK, France, Spain, Portugal, etc. and in New Zealand & Australia - no complaints so far :)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
no complaints so far

Don`t doubt it. But I am struggling, and finding it if anything LESS useful than the "Simple" old XL!. And the "Base-camp" does not seem to have any relevance to the mapping shown on the help video`s?. (too crude). More like a line sketch of major routes than a map. I am still working at it, but it`s definitely hard going!.

Pete

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Don`t doubt it. But I am struggling, and finding it if anything LESS useful than the "Simple" old XL!. And the "Base-camp" does not seem to have any relevance to the mapping shown on the help video`s?. (too crude). More like a line sketch of major routes than a map. I am still working at it, but it`s definitely hard going!.

Pete
Obviously if that's all you're seeing then you're doing it wrong. To use basecamp you have to have the maps installed on the computer as well as the sat nav.
Alternatively the sat nav has to be plugged in to the computer (so that garmin express opens) . It's really not rocket science and I didn't read the manual either.
Best people to assist you with basecamp are @scotjimland or @Dave and Ginny .
There are some good youtube videos too as stated earlier

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
@PeteH I can't understand why you are not seeing the maps in good detail on Basecamp. I'm assuming you have either downloaded maps from your Garmin or have it connected to your pc.
Either way, the map does appear to lack detail unless you zoom in closer. Try looking at this short video. It's the one I found the most useful for creating a route. It gets you using the basic tools and skills, from there you should be able to create your own routes add POI, waypoints etc and switch view to google earth showing the route you have created.

Good luck!

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Do you actually need .Net Framework 4 or can you just dump it completely? I've always avoided using .Net since it was first published as it has always appeared to me to be nothing more than an expensive overhead.
Having spent ages fart arsing about with all the previous, Garmin Express has just had a 'critical' update. And now all is well in my Garmin World. (y)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
@PeteH I can't understand why you are not seeing the maps in good detail on Basecamp. I'm assuming you have either downloaded maps from your Garmin or have it connected to your pc.
Either way, the map does appear to lack detail unless you zoom in closer. Try looking at this short video. It's the one I found the most useful for creating a route. It gets you using the basic tools and skills, from there you should be able to create your own routes add POI, waypoints etc and switch view to google earth showing the route you have created.

Good luck!

I can zoom in as far as it will go. and I still get NOTHING other that A Roads and Motorways!. I watched the Video which bears NO RELATIONSHIP to what I see!.

It`s almost as if I have the "wrong" mapping!. But I cannot find any downloads or updates anywhere??. It`s so frustrating. Posters keep saying you try this and that. I THOUGHT I was savy but this is getting to the point where To-morrow Aldi may well have one more to sell!!!

Pete

Pete

Doobray

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 22, 2014
Paisley, Renfrew, Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2013
I have an Asus 7" tablet with Sygic truck installed also if you use camper contact it syncs with Sygic truck. You can put the size of your vehicle in and it will route you accordingly. It uses TomTom as it's base maps. Oh and you can use the tablet for other things

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I can zoom in as far as it will go. and I still get NOTHING other that A Roads and Motorways!. I watched the Video which bears NO RELATIONSHIP to what I see!.

It`s almost as if I have the "wrong" mapping!. But I cannot find any downloads or updates anywhere??. It`s so frustrating. Posters keep saying you try this and that. I THOUGHT I was savy but this is getting to the point where To-morrow Aldi may well have one more to sell!!!

Pete

Pete
@PeteH .. I'd suggest going and getting a tom tom like you're used to.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3

Pete
Hi Pete,
When opening basecamp, below the words file/edit is a box. This box will have a word in it (mine is on high) you can change the amount of information displayed using this. High is useful for basic plotting of routes. When more information is required, change the option to either higher or highest. This will show more roads etc.

Hope this helps. Glenn.

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
Basecamp.jpg

@PeteH Open BaseCamp and click on maps and make sure that City Navigator Europe 2016.2 (or whatever your latest map is) is ticked. If you have the global map ticked you will not get any detail. See above attachment.

If there is any thing else you want to know then just ask.

Cheers
Steve

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
GE.jpg

To download maps to device and computer, open Garmin Express and click on your device (device must be connected to the computer). Click on view details.
GE1.jpg

Click on Installation Options using down arrow.
GE2.jpg

Select where you would like to install the files using one of the three options, 'Device Only', 'Computer and Device', or 'Computer Only'..

Good luck.
Steve

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Thanks to all the knowledgeable funsters posting on here........I am a thicky but can at least use my 660 to it's full potential now. Brilliant,(y) but stand by for more inane questions from me.:D

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Yes, I echo Bertie. YOU Guys have been very patient, and I have gleaned enough in-sight to defer, in the short term, Either "chucking it out the window" (or worse) Or consigning it back to Aldi. Watch this space for Updates, on the progress of the "Technically Infirm"!!.

P.s. I actually developed a route to Spain last night on "Basecamp" . Only took me 3+ hours!!.

BTW; Ref TomTom, The problem with that is I suspect, as happened when I changed from the One to the XL, the software too changes. So I could even be "as bad Burnt or Scalded" (as My Granny would have said!). In fact (a bit off topic) It`s Like Windows, I had a new Laptop, came with 8.1 (absolute Poo!!), to replace my older (slower) machine with Vista. 8.1 was so bad I swapped it out for Win7!!. However recently like millions of others I got the offer of Win10 Upgrade. Which with a modicum of manipulation I now have on the old machine (ex Vista). I find that the Win10 is Not as Intuitive as 7 by any means, and despite the protestations of Microsoft do not think it is an "improvement". It being STILL geared to the "icon" brigade and Screen tappers. OK for Tablets, But I like my "Physical" Key board. and don't need a "Touch screen". It`s again, Horses for courses.

Pete

Last edited:
May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
Yes, I echo Bertie. YOU Guys have been very patient, and I have gleaned enough in-sight to defer, in the short term, Either "chucking it out the window" (or worse) Or consigning it back to Aldi. Watch this space for Updates, on the progress of the "Technically Infirm"!!.

P.s. I actually developed a route to Spain last night on "Basecamp" . Only took me 3+ hours!!.

BTW; Ref TomTom, The problem with that is I suspect, as happened when I changed from the One to the XL, the software too changes. So I could even be "as bad Burnt or Scalded" (as My Granny would have said!). In fact (a bit off topic) It`s Like Windows, I had a new Laptop, came with 8.1 (absolute Poo!!), to replace my older (slower) machine with Vista. 8.1 was so bad I swapped it out for Win7!!. However recently like millions of others I got the offer of Win10 Upgrade. Which with a modicum of manipulation I now have on the old machine (ex Vista). I find that the Win10 is Not as Intuitive as 7 by any means, and despite the protestations of Microsoft do not think it is an "improvement". It being STILL geared to the "icon" brigade and Screen tappers. OK for Tablets, But I like my "Physical" Key board. and don't need a "Touch screen". It`s again, Horses for courses.

Pete
Nearly as quick as driving there then!!!:LOL:

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
I think I spent at least a day learning how to use Basecamp from playing about with it, watching utube vids etc. Eventually I felt quite proficient and planned my entire route through the UK to Spain. I included the overnight Britstop near Portsmouth and the Aire in Spain. I can honestly say that it worked perfectly and took me exactly the route we wanted to follow. Being able to check out on Google Earth that the coordinates for stop overs is correct and being able to make corrections is a real benefit of Basecamp in my opinion.

Because we've been in Benidorm for past few months...I've now forgotten how to use it(n).
Took me all of an hour yesterday to get back up to speed and plan our next move further south!

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I don`t Know about Others. But what I want in a sat Nav:- 1) The ability to put in a Start point an End point and add a few Via`s?. 2) To get an accurate ETA based on Speed I think I will achieve?. (not the limit for the road, necessarily). 3) It would be nice to be able to Delete a particular section of road ( A Toll section, say?) and get an alternative. Without recourse to a lot of manipulation and juggling.

"Out There", one would think there must be software programmers who could achieve this? or are they all trying to outdo each other in the fancy tricks dept: of "Arn`t I clever?"

Does anyone think I ask too much?

Pete

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Having used Garmin in Nuvis and now the AvtexCclub garmin I have full map data gir Europe and USA on my laptop/basecamp which when zooming in produces full street detail.
It seems you have not downloaded the msp data to your pc , you are given that option when updating map data on your navigator.
As far as eta is concerned, it is based on speed limits for road and vehicle type and updated acvording to actual progress.
No point in being able to predict your speed as you may not attain that due to traffic conditions.
The menu gives you the option to "avoid tolls" and input via waypoints.
If you havent done so I guess you may need to print iff and read the manual.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
No point in being able to predict your speed as you may not attain that due to traffic conditions.

I take your point, But, When SWMBO ask`s It`s good to have an answer!!! AND if wrong I can blame "the other woman".!!!!

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back