Garmin Sat nav (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Have used Garmin Nuvi extensively in Europe with no problems. Garmin express reminds me of the free updates as they fall due and downloading is foolproof, if a bit slow. A great bit if kit.

Recently shelled out about £30 for the Chinese Nozatec Truck Satnav only to find it has absolutely NO truck info on it. It operates OK as a car unit so I have thrown it on the back of the shelf for now.

I was going to demand my money back but, as we are going away shortly I just can't be bothered. In view of the number of people on the forum who have had software problems with the Chinese units recently, I would avoid them.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hi. Update:-

Two Branches of Aldi. Local had them Wednesday of Last week. One in HULL and one in Beverley.

A quick Look on the Aldi Website, shows none. I suspect this is Isolated stores, who have a few, possibly even "new old stock".??
Pete

Last edited:
Reactions: GJH

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
You don't have to buy the camper version. I have had the Garmin Dezl 560 LMT for a couple of years and I rate it highly. It is the truck model, now available as 570 and 770 models. The 560/70 is a bit smaller than the 760/770 but still larger than car versions. Just buy a truck model and load your own preferred motor home related POI files.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

LPB

Aug 19, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
I'm a newbie
Been using a zumo 660 for about 5 years now. It is a motorcycle sat nav. I use it on the bike, in the car and in the motorhome. So far it has been excellent . I suggest you download basecamp as it is very good and very easy to use re route planning.

Zumo 660 for me too. Had it for years and used in car, camper and Motorbike.
Lloyd

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You don't have to buy the camper version. I have had the Garmin Dezl 560 LMT for a couple of years and I rate it highly. It is the truck model, now available as 570 and 770 models. The 560/70 is a bit smaller than the 760/770 but still larger than car versions. Just buy a truck model and load your own preferred motor home related POI files.
Perfectly correct, the Camper models are basically Truck models with camping related POIs preloaded. The Aldi offer from last year, though, meant that it was possible to get a Camper device rather cheaper than a Truck device. Even cheaper for the remainders - in Hull and Beverley anyway :)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Ive used Garmin GPS and SatNavs for years both in the UK, EU and USA. I am very happy with them and currently have a NiviCam in the car and a 760Dezl in the van.
I think all makes have their moments, you just need to use common sense and not follow them blindly

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Been using Garmin for 10 years RV Motorhome Car Motorbike. Travelled all over the world 4 continents over 70 countries with no issues. Tried a cheap Chinese jobbie total rubbish after the 3rd failed returned got my money back, same with a stupidly expensive Snooper Truck.
My Garmins have all been bog standard car satnavs except the motorbike one which is a Zumo 660.
Having said all that I now use CoPilot run through my Samsung phone which is years ahead of any satnav I've ever used and cost £24.00 for full Europe.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Heard quite a few people being pleased with co pilot, I might need to give it a go. Does it run on iOS and android? Does it need a data connection or just Gps?

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I use Copilot on my iPhone only needs GPS so works off-line once you've downloaded the maps you want. I had GB which was free but now got full Europe, on offer over Christmas for £19.99, it's good because you don't have to download all of EU just the areas you need which helps with memory space. It also has car or motorhome mode, not sure what the difference in the routes are though.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
@Allanm
Definitely picks different routes from car to motorhome we have a 5 tonne tag and use it in motorhome setting. When on the bike or in the car we use different settings. Also Copilot allows you to view plan and change routes in seconds unlike satnavs.
Mines on Android through my Samsung phone plus all our music from ITunes is on there so one unit does it all. Just need to keep in connected to 12v as it does give the battery a hammering.

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
I have garmin camper.Good but not perfect,still to find one that is.Excellent when you are approaching junctions with multi outlets.Ours took up and over Switzerland on our way back from Italy.Scary route but the scenery was wonderful !

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
Does any body know if it is possible to update sat navs from my iPad? We are looking to buy either a truck or motorhome sat nav but are confused.
Thanks

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
No.Ipads are fine for browsing but you can't download or install from them.You can from an android tablet though.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hi. Update:-

Two Branches of Aldi. Local had them Wednesday of Last week. One in HULL and one in Beverley.

A quick Look on the Aldi Website, shows none. I suspect this is Isolated stores, who have a few, possibly even "new old stock".??
Pete

Latest Update; The HULL Aldi no longer has them. Beverley had 2 (now one since 2pm!!). Currently trying to get to grips with the downloading of updates (says 2hrs and 20min to go!!).

Pete

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Latest Update; The HULL Aldi no longer has them. Beverley had 2 (now one since 2pm!!). Currently trying to get to grips with the downloading of updates (says 2hrs and 20min to go!!).

Pete
First time takes a while (same as with any of them) but it's quicker subsequently. Hope it works well for you.

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
Thanks for your replies guess I will have to dig out the old PC.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hmm!??. Having spent the weekend with the "New" Garmin. I am unsure that I like it, 1) it has no facility to customise speed, which I find Essential. 2) It cannot find half the places I wish to navigate to, including my Son`s address in Hampshire (UK) not USA!. 3) It appears to prefer working in the dark!. 4) Putting in a Via, is a complex calculation involving deciding the Via`s FIRST, and then adding destinations!. I am beginning to think I will try for a refund and stick with the Tom Tom XL!.

Pete

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Hmm!??. Having spent the weekend with the "New" Garmin. I am unsure that I like it, 1) it has no facility to customise speed, which I find Essential. 2) It cannot find half the places I wish to navigate to, including my Son`s address in Hampshire (UK) not USA!. 3) It appears to prefer working in the dark!. 4) Putting in a Via, is a complex calculation involving deciding the Via`s FIRST, and then adding destinations!. I am beginning to think I will try for a refund and stick with the Tom Tom XL!.

Pete
Thunk you might just have to have a read of the instructions or play with it. It needs to know which country your destination is in.
I haven't found via a problem. Not sure re customising speeds tbh as I haven't checked that and am happy for it to use its defaults for the vehicle size

Findlaters

Free Member
Jun 14, 2009
North East Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Into our 4th year
I emailed Aldi to see if they have any Garmin 760 camper satnav said still in stock. The replied saying that they are planning to have the Garmin 660 camper in stock on the 17th of March for £199.99, so I'll hang on until then.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Thunk you might just have to have a read of the instructions or play with it. It needs to know which country your destination is in.
I haven't found via a problem. Not sure re customising speeds tbh as I haven't checked that and am happy for it to use its defaults for the vehicle size

Yes, It is set to the UK? But it cannot find a street in Farnborough!!. I find that being able to customise Speed is essential. And the setting`s (manual) clearly state cannot do!. I will persevere for a day or two yet. but I am not enamoured so far. "Microsoft Autoroute" is clearer!!. If not there may be one on E-bay by the weekend!!!.

Pete

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Yes, It is set to the UK? But it cannot find a street in Farnborough!!. I find that being able to customise Speed is essential. And the setting`s (manual) clearly state cannot do!. I will persevere for a day or two yet. but I am not enamoured so far. "Microsoft Autoroute" is clearer!!. If not there may be one on E-bay by the weekend!!!.

Pete
Not clear on what you're looking to use customised speeds for but you can set them up in Garmin BaseCamp if you install onto a PC or Mac. Including multiple via locations in a route is easy in BaseCamp as well.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007

Pete
Assuming you have bought one of the Dezl truck models (which is what the Camper version is plus some camping POIs) then it will set maximum driving speeds according to truck regulations and the weight you have input. E.g. for a >3.5 tonne vehicle it will assume a max speed of 50 mph on single carriageway roads and 60 mph on duals.
Adding a via point can be done after setting the final destination, and whilst you are en route. As you add the via point it will offer the option to sort the arrival order of the different locations. Alternatively, if you want to plan a more complex route with several 'stopping points' use the 'Trip Planner' function.
Not sure about 'working in the dark': mine switches automatically at twilight.
Concerning searching for a destination, have you noted that it attempts to search nearby to the current location first? To make it search another area, you have to tell it where you want it to search. This can be very important on long journeys. In France for example, I have to tell it the destination town at the end of the day in order to search for aires nearby. To do this, tap 'where to' then tap the menu icon (three horizontal bars in the top left) and tell it to choose 'Near' and input the nearest town.

Hope this helps.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I am going to have another "Crack" at it later. I have loaded up Base Camp. which seems, at least on first sight very complex, Definitely NOT intuitive!!!. So far I have not as yet completely unpacked it, Just running off a USB cable, attached to the Laptop. But IF the only way I can get what I want is to use the laptop to Program it, It`s not a lot of good?.

So far the TT is far faster to set up.

Pete

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Is there a facility to enter Lat; and Long:? Cannot find it?. A lot of my Old Camp grounds have Lat and Long.?. And No Elapsed Time/ETA on screen?.

I`ll think about it overnight, but it looks as if it`s going back for a Refund if Aldi will take it!.

Pete

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
@PeteH It seems you should have just bought what you're used to.
Personaly I think tom tom is inferior, loved Co pilot and now think that the garmin is a better option that's caused me no problems at all. You should probably approach it as a new fresh device as opposed to thinking of it as a different tom tom
Give me the street name and postcode that you can't find and I'll try it for you.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Also. Where to
Categories
Coordinates
20160201_212035.jpg

We've just had a little thought .. if you're clicking where to and searching in the search box at the top of the page it's going to cause you probs.. click the address icon and enter it there

Last edited:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Try Finding Morton in Marsh?. If I use the CC site Co-ordinates. It comes up. BUT if you do a search for Morton in Marsh. No way!!!. Just had it along to the Post office and Wickes in Beverley, in the toad balanced on the seat. Seems to work OK at that level. Still unsure of the fact that the SPEED cannot be programmed though, as in my view It makes for more accurate transits. I do not necessarily wish to stick to the road limits and often prefer to pootle along at 50 or less. which makes ETA`s inaccurate. Hmm?????.

Jury is still out on this one, But I am not going anyway near Aldi, before Friday, too much Painting left to do!!. So we`ll see if I can get t grips with it before then!.

Pete

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
@PeteH ..Well.. I didnt look for the cc site but. Moreton in marsh is spelt
Moreton-in-marsh or moreton in marsh
Bath searches find the town

Normaly we search on a postcode ..if you stick the postcode gl56(can't remember the rest).. ... skip the number page and go.. it will take you straight to the entrance on the a44

Your eta will just keep updating .. not really a problem for us.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back