Garmin Sat nav

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jac Sprat, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Do people find these satisfactory in Europe and the UK?. After buying one for touring we heard the Chinese one was,better but don't really want to shell out again. We're happy with the Garmin so far in England. How have you found it?

2. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

I have a Garmin nuvi 2595 and am generally happy with it's performance in Europe and am not considering changing it until it dies.

3. Speve

Speve Funster

We are out here now using Garmin Dezl it works fine had it for three years now but like all sat nav's it does have its moments I have to say far and few between.
    You sometimes have to use common sense and do your own thing if you believe it's wrong.(y)

4. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

I have used Garmin Nuvi in Europe UK and US , no problem with such a comprehensive mapping.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Irishrover

Irishrover Read Only Funster

Here is my experience with both the Chineses and Garmin sat navs....

Chinese sat nav last 3 months, screen threw a wobbly and never came back on.....only used it a few times.:mad:

Bought a Garmin nuvi 2597 LM and went to Black Sea, Romania and back and it was flawless:)

Hope this helps in making your sat nav purchase;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. glenn2926

glenn2926 Funster

Been using a zumo 660 for about 5 years now. It is a motorcycle sat nav. I use it on the bike, in the car and in the motorhome. So far it has been excellent . I suggest you download basecamp as it is very good and very easy to use re route planning.

7. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Thanks. You mean download base camp on our Garmin or is it a website? Sorry not sure what you mean glenn

8. campa cola

campa cola Funster

Base camp is a programme for the PC that allows you to download your maps from the Garmin and do route planning with a better GUI then upload the planned route back to the GPS. Try as I might I just can't get the hang of base camp, I think it's one of the least intuitive pieces of software I have used for years! Now Google maps has downloadable offline databases I will be mainly using that and the Garmin for camera and speed warnings and a second opinion and traffic data.

9. ****

**** Read Only Funster

Prefer android myself as its faster. Few people i know with Garmin prefer the Tyre or TNT software to basecamp for route plotting but its each to there own i suppose.

10. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

We currently have the garmin camper. No problems at all with it. BaseCamp is still something I need to put some effort into. As someone said .. it's not very intuitive.

• Like Like x 1
  11. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Have a read through this.. Getting to grips with BaseCamp .. it's worth the effort..

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...g-to-grips-with-it.117985/page-2#post-1600184

In answer to the OP..
    forget the Chinese sat navs, I bought one thinking it would be better than my Garmin... it was a load of junk.. poor screen resolution, couldn't see it in normal light , clunky software.. send it back and got a full refund..

Garmin are world leaders in sat navs.. in 1991 the US Army were their first customer..

• Like Like x 2
  12. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

We got the Garmin Nuvu - I didn't know about the Camper. Is it much better ?

13. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I can't speak for Europe but the Garmin Camper 760 is pretty good in the UK. None of these machines is perfect though. I was using a Nozatec as a backup to it until the discoveries over the last week about it using pirate software. I've just ordered a Mio Spirit 6970LM Truck to use with the Garmin instead of the Nozatec (I like toys).

I have a Garmin Nuvi 2569 for use in the car. It is very similar to the Camper 760 in terms of interface and software but the Camper has the extra feature of dealing with large vehicles.

I would echo what @scotjimland said about Basecamp.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

I have a Garmin Camper. Unlike most people on this thread I am extremely disappointed with it. Abysmally slow downloads, detailed mapping not always up to date and and some route planning bizarre in the extreme. The support team in Southampton are friendly and helpful, I seem to know them all personally as I've spent so long talking to them. But hey as the guy who took a 2 lb lump hammer to his last TomTom it's probably me.:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I'm surprised you find the downloads slow. I updated both the Camper and Nuvi last week and they were both a lot quicker than predicted. I would suspect a problem with your ISP's broadband speed more than a problem with the Garmin server.
    We've had a couple of routing problems which I've reported to the support team with positive responses.

16. Bertie Bassett

Our fibre download speed is 90 megs at work and 10 megs at home Graham...Garmin downloads at around 600kbs when in a good mood:D

17. Manic

Manic Funster

We have a Garmin always worked well but don't use it much,only to find somewhere in a town for instance, and now prefer to use Copilot on my iPhone.
    That seems a lot quicker and easier to use.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

GJH
    I gather you have the Garmin Nuvi and Camper?
    We were thinking of getting a back up and already have a Nuvi. Does it make sense to get a Camper or better to get a different make for whatever reason for comparison routes or general backup?

19. Bertie Bassett

Have co pilot on my tablet and can't but agree, simple to use for a simple mind like mine and cheeeeeeeeeap:D

• Like Like x 1
  20. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

It must be you. Maybe the server is looking over its shoulder for that lump hammer :LOL:

• Like Like x 1