garmin sat nav

Discussion in 'How To' started by escapee, Aug 30, 2015.

1. escapee

escapee Funster

Just over a year ago i bought a garmin camper760lm sat nav because i was fed up with being sent down narrow alleys and dirt roads and they advertised the fact that these were ideal for motorhomers-just put in your vehicle dimensions and no more problems!Not really so as we have still had to breathe in on many occasions on roads i should never have been sent on,but i have learnt to live with this now
    Then a short time ago i started to encounter another problem-i now keep losing satelite reception and have put this down to two factors 1/the americans have now apparently decommisioned two of their satelites which we used2/i drive a swift escape with a large overhang at the front making it difficult for the sat nav to find"clear sky".The second seems to be the problem as we have just spent 3 weeks touring europe with our friends following with exactly the same unit with them having - no problems
    So i thought i`d buy a external aerial but none to be found compatable
    I rang garmin tech. dept and after a long wait was told there was nothing they could do but offered me a discount voucher and their apologies!!! they also said it was not their responsability and i should contact the retailers who sold me it to see if they were prepared to do anything for me-so the buck is being passed
    Iwould be interested to hear from anyone who has had simular problems or knows of an answer
    thanks in anticipation

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

So called 'Truck' and or 'Motorhome' sat navs can only avoid 'height' , weight and width limits that have been identified and listed as POIs on the map, they cannot know the width of a road.. especially in France where there are only three road classifications.. Autoroute, N road and D road.. the first two are never going to pose a problem.. but D roads are not classified, the D stands for Department.. NOT the width or classification.. they can be dual carriageways or single track roads..

Same in the UK.. A, B and C class roads vary in width .. around our village, the B class road is barely wide enough for two cars to pass let alone two motorhomes.

Height, width and weight limit POIs can be added to any sat nav.. making it a Truck Sat Nav.. don't waste money on them ...
    with my Garmin I use Base Camp to plot a route, never depend on a sat nav to take you the 'best' route.. it is almost guaranteed to end in trouble..

• Like Like x 2
  3. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Pity your having problems but it is not Garmin's fault really or indeed the retailer unless of course you specifically stated which particular make and model of motorhome you were going to use it in and the Garmin instructions do say go outside away from tall building and trees if necessary, I suppose the overhang counts as an obstruction as you suggest. I was wondering if you could try mounting it near or on a side window where it might pick up satellites more easily. If that worked there are mounts available that would allow you to position the set nav so you could see/use it properly.

4. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

presuming your sat nav has clear sight of sky...no overcab? I think there is something wrong with it. My cheap nuvi never loses satellites or should I say only very occasionally. just toured down to Italy and back without issue

bring it back to retailer

edit: note to myself: read post properly..it's the overhang....look around for a compatible aerial. I had one years ago when I had a Euramobil with large ovehang.

edit: but camper model does not have a aerial socket I think? (after a quick Google) Try and get your money back and buy something that takes an aerial...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  5. Electraglide

Electraglide Funster

I bought the same model from Aldi early this year, no problems with finding a satellite here or in France. I to have an overcab motorhome, you could try updating it again but I would have expected Garmin to tell you that.

6. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Funster

It may depend on the construction material used for the MH. Aluminum could be problematical, but ours in made from twin sheets of GRP making a polystyrene sandwich. Both our Garmin sat navs, Camper and Nuvi, easily finds satellites anywhere (front, middle and back) in the MH .

• Like Like x 1
  7. Judge Mental

Makes sense..

Hymer are aluminium....Roof in GRP an extra cost option, but I "think" its just fitted over the existing....

8. Wickolad

Wickolad Funster

I have a Garmin nuvi in the car that kept losing satellite signal and also freezing last year. I hooked it up to the computer and found there was a software update which seemed to solve the problem.
    I also have a Garmin in the Motorhome which lost satellite signal twice on one journey in Derbyshire this week, i am going to check if this too requires an update.

9. escapee

escapee Funster

hi
    thanks everyone for your replies
    I have now started afresh with a new card and complete new download so we ll see how it goes
    (it seems the only option!)
    thanks again for all your help

10. Speve

Speve Funster

We have the Garmin Dezl and used it in out Autotrail with large overhang and also in our new Hymer Exsis no problems at all except the usual odd long way around for no reason at all.

11. TerryL

TerryL Funster

Personally, the satnav is there as "advisory" only and we use common sense - I've quite often said "no way" when I'm told to tuern down a certain road.

Used a Garmin nuvi for years without problems, which has now been relegated to the car when I got a TomTom, which now I'm used to it, I much prefer.

• Like Like x 1
  12. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Yes, a sat nav - like any computer - is only a tool. My notes Here.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Morning Jim

I've been looking through old SAT NAV threads to establish the merits of the Garmin Camper and to see whether or not it justifies the significant price hike. I'm coming to the conclusion that it probably doesn't, especially as I already have POI files that replicate most of what the Camper version seems to offer, plus using Basecamp on the SAT NAV I intend to get. This Height/width/weight POI I wasn't aware of though. Where can we get it please?
    Dave

14. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

I have the Garmin Camper and would only think they are worth considering if discounted, definitely not at full RRP.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Judge Mental

It comes up on offer from time to time...I looked on the gps forum and it seemed a bit inaccurate, with poor reviews, came to the conclusion its not worth it, hence the bargain offers..I would wait to be honest for he next big thing...... my under £100 garmin works well enough have paid £800 in the past.

Its £218 on here
    http://satnav-discounts.co.uk/gb/pr...Ym4oKHKFwp3zekTV9gpE3bW5rStR8rJvquRoC_CXw_wcB

• Like Like x 1
  16. scotjimland

I bought Low Bridges when I had the RV.. £9.95 it's a lifetime subscription with free updates .
    http://www.lowbridges.com/bridgex.htm

they also have width and weight limits bundled for £9.95
    http://www.lowbridges.com/loadx.htm

• Like Like x 1
  17. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

The main difference between a truck/camper sat nav and a car one with height/weight/width POIs is that the former allows input of vehicle dimensions and the latter doesn't. That means that the former should be able to avoid problem areas automatically.

18. scotjimland

that is correct.. but you can select the specific height, width and weight you want an alert for ..you do this when you load using the Garmin POI loader

for example.. I set the bridge heights so I get an alert for any under 3.5 mt.. any heights above that are ignored.

With the present van I'm not concerned about width or weight limits so much as I was with the RV .. Bridges are more of a concern.. there are quite a few under 3 mt

• Like Like x 2
  19. Judge Mental

Only if it works:)

• Like Like x 2
  20. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

From reading the various forums and reviews though, it seems that should is more often the case than not. I agree that when on offer it's a viable option but when not it seems well overpriced to me. My thoughts are that if I can get a reasonable priced replacement Garmin where I can utilise Basecamp and create my own route then I should be able to avoid any nasties...hopefully!

At the moment we use the Garmin sensibly always with Michelin maps at hand that we have looked at over the mornings toast and coffee before the off!