Garmin Safety Zone Notifications. (1 Viewer)

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
I have today received an e-mail from Garmin saying my subscription for removing the speed cam data in France and replacing it with "safety Zones" is due to expire!

Does anyone know if this is correct? Is it an annual income generator for Garmin?

Surely having replaced the data in my unit by updating last year the device cannot revert to showing speed cams again by subscription.

Any comments please.

ps Happy New Year to all.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yup.. it is indeed an annual thing unless you opted for a lifetime subscription to map updates and or services when you bought the unit .. Much the same as Tomtom and most other main stream GPS manufacturers

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I have today received an e-mail from Garmin saying my subscription for removing the speed cam data in France and replacing it with "safety Zones" is due to expire!

Does anyone know if this is correct? Is it an annual income generator for Garmin?

Surely having replaced the data in my unit by updating last year the device cannot revert to showing speed cams again by subscription.

Any comments please.

ps Happy New Year to all.

As a Garmin user travelling in France, can you provide more info on this?

I have Lifetime Map upgrade but was not aware that you can "replace" the camera info.

It just shows that you CAN learn something new every day!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I would be very surprised if the 'safety zone' feature can revert to exact camera locations. The whole point of substituting the former for the latter was to comply with French law. Hence, the Garmin does not contain exact camera locations and I fail to see how they can suddenly reappear unless you find a way to download a new (and non-authorised) file.
I think the email is alerting you to the fact that you will no longer have up to date information on safety zones unless you 'cough up' more folding stuff.
Here is the relevant section from my Garmin user manual. It makes no reference to the French situation but I know that safety zones are substituted for exact locations on my Dezl.

Safety camera information is available in some locations. Go to http://my.garmin.com for availability. For these locations, the device includes the locations of hundreds of safety cameras. Your device alerts you when you are approaching a safety camera and can warn you if you are driving too fast. The data is updated at least weekly, so you always have access to the most up- to-date information.
You can purchase a new region or extend an existing subscription at any time. Each region that you purchase has an expiration date.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
TomTom seems to have an odd arrangement whereby you pay for speed cameras but French safety zones are free.
However at my last update it gave me an update of speed cameras even though I have never paid for them so perhaps they've stopped charging for them.

Mar 25, 2013
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit 160
Exp
Since 2013
If you Google 'How to turn off speed camera on Garmin' you will find instructions on how to disable alerts for the various models :thumb:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
My Garmin blew the fuse in the 12v power lead, replaced the fuse and put on charge only to find the Garmin getting hot, so prob only fit for the bin has it wont turn on, luckily I have a Snooper ready for Portugal on Sunday. Pete :thumb:

Ps I had taken the cameras off before entering France last year on the way home from Spain.

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
why worry who's going to check?:winky:
I am inclined to agree with you on that one.

When pulled by the Gendarmes at the Toulouse Peage in May 2012, we were directed to a check point, questioned, and had the MH searched. Not one of the four officers questioned us about the blatantly obvious TomTom, or of the many items we are required to carry by French law. When asked to vacate the vehicle, I asked about the need to be wearing a Hi Viz vest. Non Monsieur, was the reply.
They were only interested in finding tobacco products, which we "may" have purchased in Spain. One officer did question me, about being a Brit driving a left hooker. :roflmto:

Regards,

Jock.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
What is a FRENCH SAFETY ZONE ??????? BUSBY::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun