• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

SOLD Garmin Nuvi 57LM satnav, nearly new. (1 Viewer)

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Firstly, the story!
I've used TomTom for probably 12 years or more on many devices, ranging from a PDA right down to TomTom units.
TomTom is probably hard wired to my brain, pathetic I know but there it is!
My trusty TomTom Start 25 died a couple of weeks back and I bought a new unit, this time a Start 50.

If you look at my thread on this device you will see why I returned it and replaced it with this Garmin.
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...eat-disappointment-can-i-take-it-back.121493/

There is nothing wrong with this Garmin, it does everything perfectly. It acquires satellite fix very quickly, has lots of inbuilt poi's and routes as well as any TomTom I've had, you may notice I had a problem the other day but that was entirely my fault.
I changed the settings to "shortest" route and it went nuts, but every device would do the same under those circumstances. I changed it back to "fastest" and it was perfect.
Most importantly it is fully customisable with custom poi's, the Garmin software is excellent, knocks TomToms into a cocked hat.
I've tested it with camperContact, Archies and Caravan Club poi's and it works !

Why am I selling it? Simply because I'm an old f@rt and I can't get used to it because it's not a TomTom, that's it! As I said TomTom is hard wired to me!

It's boxed and complete, only bought on the 27th December last. I've returned it to factory settings and deregistered it from Garmins website.
It cost £99.99 and I'm offering it here first for £65 inc pp. Bank transfer please or of course cash on collection for £60.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Just take it back and get a refund-not satisfactory for your use. Lots of stuff will be returned this week -just do it(y)

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Just take it back and get a refund-not satisfactory for your use. Lots of stuff will be returned this week -just do it(y)
I've already returned one device to them, they'll think I'm a serial nutter!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
It's not faulty, I have no legitamate grounds for returning it. I didn't really tell the the truth when I returned the other one and I didn't like, not doing it again.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Mack100

I am sorry you are still struggling to replace your Start 25. Unfortunately the New Tomtom's, like the Go50 you tried, do not have the same operating system with new icons and ways of working so it requires you to learn it all again.

My only experience with a Garmin was years ago and I was trying to help someone who was struggling to work with theirs. I found it a nightmare, however. I am quite sure if I needed a new GPS and Garmin offered one that did what I needed and Tomtom didn't I would give a Garmin a chance as surely Millions can't be wrong and it will be a matter of learning a new system.

Unless you try and buy an old Tomtom model, which may be that is what you will have to do as you cannot get an upto date Tomtom that works like your old one, it's a learning process whatever you do.

All the best

Doug

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
@DJA thanks for that info.
The problem with TomTom is that their newer models are designated Nav4 devices and it's these that are hobbled as far as custom pois are concerned.
The TomTom Start 25 is a Nav3 device on which custom pois are easy to install.

Anyway, I'm a very naughty boy, I've returned the Garmin to the store. They refused to sell me a new one so effectively threw me out after refunding me:LOL::LOL:. I popped into Argos and bought a Start 25 in the sale, I promise I will not start any gps thread for a long time:D

The Garmin is now no longer for sale!

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
So normal service has resumed then. Great.

I have had no problem adding 3rd Party POI's to my Nav 4 unit and searching for particular POI's all be it the methodology is different. Currently however you cannot add a POI to a POI Category on the unit.

As you may have purchased Speed Camera data for the old unit if there is still some significant time left on that purchase why not see if Tomtom will transfer it. Try customer support.

Doug

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Well done, now buy a Chinese satnav and run it alongside your Tom Tom and compare the 2

ps you need to edit your for sale sign

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back