Garmin Camper Sat Nav - Routing through "narrow" lanes

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Bernie P, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Bernie P

Bernie P Funster

We've just been to Ludlow (from Surrey) for a wet and windy New Year.

We opted for the Garmin Camper Sat Nav as you could programme in the MH size and add avoidances such as narrow lanes. We were therefore somewhat surprised on Wednesday that it routed us cross country taking almost a straight line route. One road it was telling us to use even had a "unsuitable for large vehicles" sign at the entrance. Fortunately the wife was quick with the road map and re-routed us where we'd expected to go.

It tried the same thing coming home today told us to turn left out of the site, then first left up a lane. We'd walked up that lane yesterday and it was no way suitable for a MH. So we switched the damn thing off and made our own way to the M5.

We have it set on "Fastest Route" as "Shortest Route" definately went in the straightest line from day 1.

I've double-checked all the setting and been through all the Garmin FAQ's (emailed them now). Completely baffled

Is anyone else getting these problems? I don't recall it doing it last summer so suspect a dodgy update has taken place. Has anyone found out how to fix this?

2. Big Nick

Big Nick Funster

Unfortunately very few roads comparitively speaking have width information available to the mapping databases which causes the problem.

I have the same unit as you and ours has directed us onto to some very unsuitable roads also

I've increased the size of our motorhome in the unit to longer/wider than it actually is but it hasn't made much difference.

Unfortunately we are still a long way from being able to rely on a sat nav 100% for routing I'm afraid and a co-pilot who can read a map is still a good idea!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

@Big Nick is spot on.

Earlier this year the Garmin almost took us across a 3 tonne max bridge near Wellingborough, which I spotted in the Philips Atlas we carry, and did take us down a road near Bath which was theoretically OK but on which we almost got stuck because traffic coming the other way was using it as a rat run to avoid busier than usual roads near the city. In the case of the Bath road we also had the Noza Tec in use because I was doing a comparison exercise and it would have avoided the road.
    I reported both to Garmin with positive responses from them.

We are in the fortunate position that Jill does the driving and I do the navigating so I now have the Noza Tec set up alongside the Garmin and the Philips Atlas in the door pocket so that I can (hopefully) identify potential conflicts before they become problems.

4. colinw

colinw Read Only Funster

I loaded the sat nav with vehicle sizes and it tried to take us under a low bridge , not impressed ! . also diverted off main roads down through small villages then back onto main road further along . I wish there was an option to stick to main roads even if it is further / slower . definitely learned to keep an eye on it !

• Like Like x 1
  5. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Mine tried to route me under a 2.5 m bridge in Rouen last year. Luckily, I don't take much notice of anyone giving me directions.......

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mack100

Mack100 Funster

Used my new Garmin for the first time in anger today around Abingdon trying to get onto the M40 for Brum.
    I kid you not the cow tried to take me diagonally across fields and down roads that weren't there all in total silence.

I'm really impressed.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Funster

Whilst country lanes aren't ideal for MH bear in mind most country lanes will be regularly accessed by large tractors, combine harvesters, milk tankers, feed trucks, and livestock trucks, so your average MH will fit with ease. Don't panic if you find yourself on one.

I drove milk tankers for 4 years and you soon get used to narrow country lanes, many of the farms I collected from were on lanes that were 'unsuitable for hgv'

• Like Like x 2
  8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Sometimes rerouting of roads isn't matched by map updating. The first sat nav I had was a TomTom, bought for me shortly after the rerouting of the A1 past Ferrybridge. It took them something like 2 years to get the mapping right.
    If you have updated to the latest maps then I should complain to Garmin.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

It says on the Garmin website

"Entering your Camper or trailer profile characteristics does not guarantee your Camper’s characteristics will be accounted for in all route suggestions. Always defer to all posted road signs and road conditions."

In other words - it don't work

• Like Like x 2
  10. BFM14

BFM14 Funster

Never had a problem with our Snooper . It appears to have most, if not all, these problems solved

• Like Like x 2
  11. Mack100

Mack100 Funster

Solved, I'd inadvertently changed route settings to "shortest" instead of "fastest". Just tested it round Camberley and it was fine:clap:

• Like Like x 3
  12. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Well, I have had a Garmin Dezl 560 LMT for a couple of years now (truck version with the motorhome dimensions stored) and I have to say that most of the time I have been pretty happy with it. Of course it cannot take account of the vehicle's size if the mapping database does not contain road information and this is inevitably the case on many minor roads. The Dezl is not a replacement for driver judgement, but it helps a lot in navigation.

• Like Like x 1
  13. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

If only everyone would remember what that last sentence says as regards all sat navs :)

As I posted in June, having compared the Garmin and Noza Tec:

14. Badknee

Badknee Funster

I must say our thirty odd quid Chinese sat nag has been quite good apart from the annoying Russian bird shouting about speed scammeras :LOL:
    I always remember a friend who knows his stuff explaining that the mapping system will take short cuts whenever it can, that is, if you are on a fast A road doing 50mph and it 'sees' a shorter route if only by a few feet it will send you down it as long as it also is a NSL. It doesn't realise that you have to slow down to 20mph because it's so narrow/tight bends, it still thinks your doing 50mph then drops you back on the fast A road a mile further on ten minutes later. :confused: :LOL:

15. ianandkath

ianandkath Funster

my £30 satnav sent me down a narrow road in northwales.im 8ft 5"wide across my mirrors. the road was 8ft 6"wide at narrowest point.
    what FUN we had watching a chain of cars backing up in front of us:LOL::LOL:
    now it works fine, i had not set it to large settings

16. colinw

colinw Read Only Funster

Does anybody have a sat nav that you can program in your top speed ? eg. On a motorway you travel at 50 mph , the sat nav thinks that 140 miles will take 2 hours , not 3 that it takes you . used to be able to on AA route planner on computer IIRC .

17. Mack100

Mack100 Funster

Our "old" TomTom assumed a speed of 60 mph average on motorways.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Gary217

Gary217 Funster

It does seem as if the '£30 chinese' satnavs work reasonably well - does anyone have any recommendations on which make to buy or where best buy these? At this price it's worth a punt - presumably they do height restrictions as well as width as we're not that wide but are quite high?

19. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

I would urge anyone that hasn't taken a look to check out Garmin Basecamp which you can download to any laptop free and then use it to make up your own routes to the upload to your Garmin. It may sound complex but with a little practice it's quick and simple to use. Your sat nav will then follow the route you have planned.

One big bonus is that you can preview your route on Google Earth/ Streetview and check out any suspect parts.

Well worth a look!

• Like Like x 4
  20. sallylillian

sallylillian Funster Life Member

Equally your milk truck probably had loads of steelwork all around it and you wern't fussed about the paint job?