Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have the 560 (slightly smaller) version and I think it's great. I would not bother with the Camper version though, just get the truck model and you can download all the POIs you need, including the C&CC set.

I got mine here:
http://www.handtec.co.uk/satnav-gps.html?cat=6&manufacturer=67

Their price for the 760 LMT is £314 inc VAT. The 560 LMT (which is smaller but still larger than most car Satnavs) is £272 inc VAT. (Less than I paid last year!)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Also have truck/motorhome Garmin Dezl 560 & currently £268.99 on Amazon
Not tried it fully yet but last resort after finding TomTom caravan/motorhome was useless!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
I have the 760 truck version with free map updates. Simply stunning. So much out there with mountains of POI's etc. Runs rings around the Chinese stuff. :ROFLMAO:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I have the normal 760LMT-D version, brilliant bit of kit and I have downloaded and installed loads of POI's for aires and camper stops throughout Europe, not interested in camp sites or the like so didn't bother with the camper version.
Both units offer Motorhome Truck and Car settings with the ability to set your own vehicle dimensions. Like all other Garmin ( and probably other units) it will route you ( me) through narrow lanes if you use car or motorhome settings but will warn you that these roads may not be suitable for trucks! You still need to use common sense. Truck settings will take you on longer routes and warn of bends, hills etc but your speed limits may not be correct as it will assume you are a large truck subject to lower speeds on some roads.
But, don't let that put you off.

Allan

OP
OP
MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Thx for your replies guys,my reason for asking is that our present Garmin Nuvi 1490 has spent last few weeks cutting off corners and using little lanes in France only to bring us back to the route were already on ::bigsmile: We've had it 4 yrs now,and since the last update,just before we left UK it's been doing this more than ever before regardless of the settings I use.

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I think any of them will occasionally have a brainstorm and choose an odd route. Also, no matter how good the truck/motorhome routing is, if the road data is not in the mapping database, the unit cannot take account of vehicle size. The Garmin Dezl series at least warns you when it has no 'trucking info.' for the road you are on. Also useful (particularly abroad) is the speed limit warning that is set according to truck rules and MAM. E.g. in the UK, because we are over 3.5 tonnes it tells me the limit is 50 mph on a single carriageway road. It also tries to route you away from weight restricted roads where your MAM is above the limit. In France, for example, this means it will route you around a town rather than through it if there are 3.5 tonne restrictions. The restriction data relates to lorry limits when sometimes, a motorhome may be allowed. You have to use common sense in this case and the Dezl keeps warning you that you are about to break a limit. An option is to set 'Delivery mode' since this allows temporary entry to weight restrictions. I have not bothered with that setting yet.
Final caveat is that if you set a destination that can only be reached via narrow roads, the Dezl will take you down them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back