Garmin Camper 760 Lmt ... Are They Any Good? (1 Viewer)

Oct 3, 2014
Llanelli, Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido 891F A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Hi,

My local Aldi store have some left over from the last promotion on offer at £149.99 has anybody got one of these and what are your thoughts.

Richard

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Got the smaller one (560LMT) which is excellent - fantastic price at £149.99 if it has the lifetime map updates too!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Some mixed views on here but guess the majority would say good. I'm in that camp.
At that price it's a steal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Having missed the Aldi offer, I picked one up in a St George's day flash sale at Halfords for just over £200, only used a couple of times (after first updating maps/software) and it was fine. The Traffic feature also saved us from sitting in a queue for who knows how long by redirecting us around it.

Apr 2, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
They are excellent bits of kit, used with caution. I've had a good many Garmin unit - in fact I'm using 5 different units of various types at present. The caution bit - the height and width restrictions, as I'm sure you are aware, only relate to those flagged on the actual road, i.e. low bridges and legal width and weight restrictions. It won't pick up roads which just happen to be narrow. I know for a fact that not all the low bridges are in it. There are two within a mile of my house (both of which are on a potential route to a CL), which are missing. (Yes I've flagged it to Garmin). I've seen others. The traffic unit is generally very reliable, and works well. In common with most routing algorithms, the routing is occasionally a bit odd, but those comments aside, an excellent bit of kit. For what it's worth, I've also, albeit briefly, had a Snooper Caravan Club unit. To be specific, I've had 4, because they could never supply one which actually worked! However, I know there are folks out there who get on with them well

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
not there now :(

Oop's wrong link! is there a difference between
760 LMT and the 760LMT-D

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I think maybe one is a Dezi (truck?) model and other a Camper...

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
have been using Garmin devices since 2000. Im far from techy and each one a steap learning curve! But you have to have patience and eventually you will get there...

personally don't understand changing from one brand to another and note most of the complaints from people who have had a matter of days/weeks or used to TT or whatever...

Garmin not perfect but what is! Have been planing trips on PC via Mapsourse (no longer supported - now its Basecamp) since 2000...I go the way i want not the way a sat nag tells me...

just got back from Spain and my chepo 2547 did the route perfectly. planned on the device, using the trip planner App, routing via stored favorites and turning Toll on/off as necessary, as on way down it tended to ignore MY route and go for A road tolls!

Aldi customer service called back and said they have no more left :(

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shandyman
Oct 3, 2014
Llanelli, Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido 891F A Class
Exp
Since 2014
have been using Garmin devices since 2000. Im far from techy and each one a steap learning curve! But you have to have patience and eventually you will get there...

personally don't understand changing from one brand to another and note most of the complaints from people who have had a matter of days/weeks or used to TT or whatever...

Garmin not perfect but what is! Have been planing trips on PC via Mapsourse (no longer supported - now its Basecamp) since 2000...I go the way i want not the way a sat nag tells me...

just got back from Spain and my chepo 2547 did the route perfectly. planned on the device, using the trip planner App, routing via stored favorites and turning Toll on/off as necessary, as on way down it tended to ignore MY route and go for A road tolls!

Aldi customer service called back and said they have no more left :(

@Judgemental My local store has at least six for sale. Are you interested in one?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Oops! more poor reviews here!

"It usually finds the place we want but has serious shortcomings which make it impossible to recommend for motorhomes or caravans. Despite knowing our dimensions and weight we are persistently sent down single-lane roads barely wide enough for the vehicle with overhanging branches threatening to scratch us to bits. Meeting another vehicle on these lanes is a terrible nightmare. We have been directed to cross country bridges which are rated at well below our weight. So bad are these problems that we have now exaggerated our vehicle dimensions to try to opt out of single-track roads, but it still insists – even though the roads are narrower than the width we have claimed.

The traffic avoidance is a joke. We were directed off a motor way onto a huge roundabout but the Garmin could not tell us which of several exits to follow. On the second circuit we were instructed to get back on the motorway - very frustrating to say the least!"

not sounding that good :(

Last edited:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Not experienced the issues raised by yourself Jm but not used it a lot as yet.

I wonder if those that are "complaining" have set the unit up correctly? On our nuvi, which I've had for 3 or 4 years you can set up for quickest or shortest route. The latter will try and give you the shortest using all road types. The Camper has the same functionality.

We're of to Devon and Cornwall next month so that should give it a good test! Having said that though, I would normally create the routes using BaseCamp and then transfer them over. Looking at one or two routes that BaseCamp has calculated using the RV profile I've actually amended these (dead easy on BaseCamp) as I've know that it has been a bit conservative on the route selection. Better that than adventurous though!:eek:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I wonder if those that are "complaining" have set the unit up correctly? On our nuvi, which I've had for 3 or 4 years you can set up for quickest or shortest route. The latter will try and give you the shortest using all road types. The Camper has the same functionality.

That's what i was thinking..but so many reports about taking you down inappropriate roads and warning you when your on them hard to ignore. Kinda wonder what's the point of it...

but if it is simply a matter of selecting quickest/shortest. why dont the handbook say, or garmin customer service recognise this....it dont add up.

Last edited:

Locoman

Free Member
Mar 14, 2016
Mid Devon (UK)
Funster No
MH
Swift Select 184
Exp
Since 1982
One thing I do like about the Garmin Camper is the ability to connect the Reversing Camera to it.
The original as fitted by Auto Trail as part of the radio is very clear but too small
I fitted a cable splitter so now can use both when reversing

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
One thing I do like about the Garmin Camper is the ability to connect the Reversing Camera to it.
The original as fitted by Auto Trail as part of the radio is very clear but too small
I fitted a cable splitter so now can use both when reversing
That's an interesting idea, as we also have an AT with small screen for reversing camera and the Garmin Camper unit.

May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
We have tried Garmin and Tom Tom both fine as long as you use them with a map! Watch for the road signs too if the road looks too narrow just carry on 'till you find one that's not. Seriously , we use ours with a one page map and never had a problem.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have Dezl 560 LMT-D and have been using it for last three years yes it does throw a wobbly very occassionaly probably like most sat nav's but in the main it's very good.
As far as width and height goes it does rout around known problems but you should always remember to use common sense if a bridge looks to low or there is a weight restriction.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We have the 760LMT-D.
Can't fault it tbh. I've read some poor reviews and tbh most of them seem to be either not setting it up correctly, not reading it's display or treating it blindly as God.
It's made a few silly blunders but not many and we have found that on the whole it's fast, accurate, clear and easy to use. Voice command works too..
One day I'll learn to use basecamp correctly

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
I am still on my first week with a 760 and am trying to use BaseCamp to plan a 5 day route down to Valencia via the RedC (Rouen,Evreux etc). My first attempt was tortuous so started again and this was ok but decided to add the fuel stops and a few tweaks as well. I had already setup the stop-offs as favourites. Fourth attempt was doing it all again including the return trip so that I felt confident to store the route and use it the next time it was needed. I then transferred the route and opened up the Garmin and the route was all over the place and not in date order along with some of the routes which I had deleted before copying them across.
Has anyone mastered this planned routing tool otherwise it is going back as at times I drive solo and need this facility.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I am still on my first week with a 760 and am trying to use BaseCamp to plan a 5 day route down to Valencia via the RedC (Rouen,Evreux etc). My first attempt was tortuous so started again and this was ok but decided to add the fuel stops and a few tweaks as well. I had already setup the stop-offs as favourites. Fourth attempt was doing it all again including the return trip so that I felt confident to store the route and use it the next time it was needed. I then transferred the route and opened up the Garmin and the route was all over the place and not in date order along with some of the routes which I had deleted before copying them across.
Has anyone mastered this planned routing tool otherwise it is going back as at times I drive solo and need this facility.
This thread may be of assistance:-

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/garmin-base-camp-getting-to-grips-with-it.117985/

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have had a Dezl 560 LMT for about three years and think it is very good. I cannot understand (or should that be 'stand') the wailing comments by people who say they have set their motorhome dimensions and then blame the Garmin for taking them down a narrow road. They decided to drive down it. Perhaps they were looking for a CS/CL. Many of these are on roads that are very narrow. How do they think delivery drivers, bin men and farmers get down the road? Some motorhomers seem to think their van is so big that it can only travel on full-width A-class roads, yet trucks get to some very out-of-the-way places.
As an earlier poster said, the SatNav is an aid that must be used with care and judgement. The 560/760 Dezls are good units. (Rant over)

Last edited:

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Generally speaking, the Garmin Campers are a good unit. However, not unlike myself, they are also susceptible to the odd brain fart! :)

The vehicle size guidance is entirely dependent on the mapping data, you can't just assume the requisite data is present so you need to use common sense.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Finally managed to get the routes as I want them but you would assume when you copy a route off the Garmin to edit it on your Mac that it would understand that as you write the information back that it should overwrite the original unless you tell it not to. Strange but I will keep it as there must be something functional hidden in it and it has some other interesting features.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Finally managed to get the routes as I want them but you would assume when you copy a route off the Garmin to edit it on your Mac that it would understand that as you write the information back that it should overwrite the original unless you tell it not to. Strange but I will keep it as there must be something functional hidden in it and it has some other interesting features.
From memory if you transfer the same route (same name) from BaseCamp to the device it will have both with the second having a suffix of 2, eg A to B and A to B2.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but why don't you create the route in BaseCamp with any \ all way points you want and then transfer to the device? As an example start point, fuel stop, meal stop, comfort break, route via a specific point, end point. You can zoom in to the map on BaseCamp, right click on a specific point and create a new waypoint to use in your route. You can then transfer the created route to the device using Send to Device.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I have had a Dezl 560 LMT for about three years and think it is very good. I cannot understand (or should that be 'stand') the wailing comments by people who say they have set their motorhome dimensions and then blame the Garmin for taking them down a narrow road. They decided to drive down it. Perhaps they were looking for a CS/CL. Many of these are on roads that are very narrow. How do they think delivery drivers, bin men and farmers get down the road? Some motorhomers seem to think their van is so big that it can only travel on full-width A-class roads, yet trucks get to some very out-of-the-way places.
As an earlier poster said, the SatNav is an aid that must be used with care and judgement. The 560/760 Dezls are good units. (Rant over)
I've been using an ordinary car sat nav (a Tom Tom Via) for the past 10 years. I don't advance plan - I tell it where I want to go and it takes me there. If I fancy serious meandering I set Shortest but most of the time set Fastest route. It hasn't taken me anywhere I wouldn't be happy to go or got me into any difficulties. I've rarely needed to disagree with where it tells me to go. I don't understand the problem with a MH either - I'd take mine anywhere I'd take a car - it's a Hymer B584 20ft-ish, 7 feet 5 inches wide, & around 11 feet high with sat dome - so not by any means huge. I've just bought the Aldi Garmin device to replace the Tom Tom which has had a fatal disagreement with my PC so I'll see how it does. Hope map update system is less tortuous than Tom Tom.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Going back to my first post, that's what I thought I was doing but it appeared to copy routes which IU subsequently deleted and did not ask to transfer. So it was transferring information when I had not asked it to do so and when I assumed it would not do so without my sayso. Of the ones that did transfer some of them did not transfer their dates so were marked as routes rather than planned routes - I have not worked why as they were created together and there is no logic for why some took and some didn't.
Having worked with software tools which manage different software versions I imagined that BaseCamp would handle this in a more sensible fashion. Thinking back these tools were rather expensive.
If it had explained these things before hand it would have made things easier but as you say it is doable and I am now reasonably confident that I now know the best way to go.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back