Garmin Camper 760 Lmt ... Are They Any Good?

Discussion in 'GPS Navigation' started by Shandyman, May 22, 2015.

1. Shandyman

Shandyman Funster

Hi,

My local Aldi store have some left over from the last promotion on offer at £149.99 has anybody got one of these and what are your thoughts.

Richard

2. Wombles

Wombles Funster

Got the smaller one (560LMT) which is excellent - fantastic price at £149.99 if it has the lifetime map updates too!

3. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

Some mixed views on here but guess the majority would say good. I'm in that camp.
    At that price it's a steal.

4. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

Having missed the Aldi offer, I picked one up in a St George's day flash sale at Halfords for just over £200, only used a couple of times (after first updating maps/software) and it was fine. The Traffic feature also saved us from sitting in a queue for who knows how long by redirecting us around it.

5. rickwiggans

rickwiggans Funster

They are excellent bits of kit, used with caution. I've had a good many Garmin unit - in fact I'm using 5 different units of various types at present. The caution bit - the height and width restrictions, as I'm sure you are aware, only relate to those flagged on the actual road, i.e. low bridges and legal width and weight restrictions. It won't pick up roads which just happen to be narrow. I know for a fact that not all the low bridges are in it. There are two within a mile of my house (both of which are on a potential route to a CL), which are missing. (Yes I've flagged it to Garmin). I've seen others. The traffic unit is generally very reliable, and works well. In common with most routing algorithms, the routing is occasionally a bit odd, but those comments aside, an excellent bit of kit. For what it's worth, I've also, albeit briefly, had a Snooper Caravan Club unit. To be specific, I've had 4, because they could never supply one which actually worked! However, I know there are folks out there who get on with them well

• Like Like x 1
  6. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

not there now :(

Oop's wrong link! is there a difference between
    760 LMT and the 760LMT-D

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  7. Judge Mental

I think maybe one is a Dezi (truck?) model and other a Camper...

8. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

9. Judge Mental

have been using Garmin devices since 2000. Im far from techy and each one a steap learning curve! But you have to have patience and eventually you will get there...

personally don't understand changing from one brand to another and note most of the complaints from people who have had a matter of days/weeks or used to TT or whatever...

Garmin not perfect but what is! Have been planing trips on PC via Mapsourse (no longer supported - now its Basecamp) since 2000...I go the way i want not the way a sat nag tells me...

just got back from Spain and my chepo 2547 did the route perfectly. planned on the device, using the trip planner App, routing via stored favorites and turning Toll on/off as necessary, as on way down it tended to ignore MY route and go for A road tolls!

Aldi customer service called back and said they have no more left :(

10. Shandyman

Shandyman Funster

@Judgemental My local store has at least six for sale. Are you interested in one?

11. Gellyneck

Believe the "D" is for digital traffic updates.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Still £199 for the camper model in our local store :(

13. Judge Mental

Yes! But I live in London:cry:!

14. Judge Mental

15. Judge Mental

Oops! more poor reviews here!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...e=as2&tag=sanade0c-21&linkId=K5FT7375TXONUU7G

"It usually finds the place we want but has serious shortcomings which make it impossible to recommend for motorhomes or caravans. Despite knowing our dimensions and weight we are persistently sent down single-lane roads barely wide enough for the vehicle with overhanging branches threatening to scratch us to bits. Meeting another vehicle on these lanes is a terrible nightmare. We have been directed to cross country bridges which are rated at well below our weight. So bad are these problems that we have now exaggerated our vehicle dimensions to try to opt out of single-track roads, but it still insists – even though the roads are narrower than the width we have claimed.

The traffic avoidance is a joke. We were directed off a motor way onto a huge roundabout but the Garmin could not tell us which of several exits to follow. On the second circuit we were instructed to get back on the motorway - very frustrating to say the least!"

not sounding that good :(

Last edited: May 23, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Gellyneck

Not experienced the issues raised by yourself Jm but not used it a lot as yet.

I wonder if those that are "complaining" have set the unit up correctly? On our nuvi, which I've had for 3 or 4 years you can set up for quickest or shortest route. The latter will try and give you the shortest using all road types. The Camper has the same functionality.

We're of to Devon and Cornwall next month so that should give it a good test! Having said that though, I would normally create the routes using BaseCamp and then transfer them over. Looking at one or two routes that BaseCamp has calculated using the RV profile I've actually amended these (dead easy on BaseCamp) as I've know that it has been a bit conservative on the route selection. Better that than adventurous though!:eek:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Judge Mental

That's what i was thinking..but so many reports about taking you down inappropriate roads and warning you when your on them hard to ignore. Kinda wonder what's the point of it...

but if it is simply a matter of selecting quickest/shortest. why dont the handbook say, or garmin customer service recognise this....it dont add up.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  18. Locoman

Locoman Read Only Funster

One thing I do like about the Garmin Camper is the ability to connect the Reversing Camera to it.
    The original as fitted by Auto Trail as part of the radio is very clear but too small
    I fitted a cable splitter so now can use both when reversing

19. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

That's an interesting idea, as we also have an AT with small screen for reversing camera and the Garmin Camper unit.

20. Wicketter

Wicketter Funster

We have tried Garmin and Tom Tom both fine as long as you use them with a map! Watch for the road signs too if the road looks too narrow just carry on 'till you find one that's not. Seriously , we use ours with a one page map and never had a problem.