Garmin Base Camp .. getting to grips with it.

Discussion in 'GPS Navigation' started by scotjimland, Oct 23, 2015.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I tried to get my head around Base Camp several times .. with limited success, so yesterday I spend a bit time watching 'how to do it' vids' and practising with it.. and then it all fell into place... the 'light bulb' moment..

If you have never tried or tried and given up like I had, give it another go.. it's well worth it.

I have used Google maps , plotting a route then converting to a GPX file for the Garmin.. The benefit of Base Camp is, you can download the Garmin maps to your PC or Mac and use without a data connection.

With the Garmin connected, the map also sees the POIs in the sat nav data which you can use in Base Camp..

It takes a bit of effort but well worth the effort. I've got a handle on the basics.. and it's a powerful tool.. well worth making the effort to learn... I never realised how good it was. !

Using Base Camp you have full control over the route... you can plan your route, rest stops, overnight stops, way points etc.. no more crossing fingers and hoping the sat nav knows the 'best' route.. no more being taken down a dirt or unsuitable road..

I 'd also been looking for an 'Autoroute' equivalent for the Mac.. this is as good as, if not better.. What a great bit of software..

so get busy.. and if you have any tips, questions or comments please post them here...

sorry, those with Chinese sat nags will just have to cross fingers.. :LOL:;)

This video is a good introduction..

• Like Like x 10
  2. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I keep meaning to have a real 'go' with it. To date I have never tried it with the Garmin attached to the Mac but will now try again. Do you happen to know if Base Camp reads any profile set in the SatNav Jim? I have a Dezl 560 and it would be great if it transmitted the Hymer's size and weight profile into Base Camp.

3. scotjimland

Sorry Phillip.. don't know, only have the 'boys' Garmin.. :LOL:

please post your findings, it would useful if it did..

I'm planning on buying the Camper or Truck model.. I'm hoping Santa has one for me ..

4. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

I tried with this Jim some time ago after hearing about it from Eddie @Judgemental, but then discovered that it won't work with my 3 year old Garmin Nuvi. Gutted, as it looks good!
    Dave

5. scotjimland

surprised it's not supported .. that's a bummer..

• Like Like x 1
  6. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I'm surprised too as I used it with a Nuvi 1300T bought in April 2010.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

No I'm wrong! It appears that the routes I created that I didn't think had gone to the device were in fact at the bottom of my favourites list! I hadn't given them a distinct enough title so didn't spot them.

I shall have another play!

• Like Like x 3
  8. scotjimland

@davidandginny

that caught me out as well.. lol

saved routes or trips should be in the Garmin Apps menu, listed in 'Trip Planner'

• Like Like x 1
  9. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

I think im like you were. ..
    You've inspired me to have another go.(y)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

No...bummer, it seems that the Nuvi50LM does not have the software to use Base Camp!

It connects and all appears as if it's downloaded but no routes come up! I've checked out the Garmin site and they confirm, along with other models that it won't work!

Shame though...:(

11. scotjimland

bummer ..

in case you missed it .. Aldi have a Garmin on offer this week at £90 .. European mapping with lifetime updates .. https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thu-22-oct/product-detail/ps/p/full-eu-sat-nav/

• Like Like x 1
  12. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

Yep, agree great piece of software for creating, amending, managing, etc routes.

One tip I've found useful is that I created a new "database" in Options and store this on a usb stick. Means I can move this stick between pcs \ laptops that have BaseCamp installed and have the same data \ routes \ etc available on all. So desktop at home \ laptop in motorhome.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

I spotted that Jim, but if I change I fancy one that I can programe m'home details into. I'll stick with the Garmin I have for now...it's loaded with all my own POI and it's taken us through Europe a few times now without too much of a problem...plus I always have the 'add on app' of my Nav who enjoys being surrounded by lists and maps :). Good thread though Jim (y).

• Like Like x 1
  14. scotjimland

I also have one of these.. The Mk2 .. old model but reliable.. but it tends to go into sleep mode on long trips and needs rebooting every so often.. the updates also take ages. :LOL:

• Like Like x 3
  15. Gellyneck

If anyone wants to follow above tip here's how you do it.
    1. Open BaseCamp on your pc \ laptop \ etc.
    2. From the top toolbar –
      1. Edit
      2. Options
    3. From the window that opens –
      1. Select General in left pane
      2. Under Database Options click the + sign
    4. From the window that opens –
      1. Give your new database a name (eg Funsters Routes)
      2. Browse to the location where you want to store (you will need to create a new folder if you haven’t already done so)
    5. Your new database name should appear in the box to the right of the + sign
    6. Click OK
    7. BaseCamp will restart and you’ll now be connected to your new database stored on your usb stick
    8. When moving the usb stick to another machine do the above steps (except creating a new folder) but select the previously created folder on your usb stick
    9. You only have to do this once on each machine as it will default to the new database every time unless you haven’t plugged the usb stick in (for obvious reasons!)
    That’s it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Gellyneck

For others who may be considering trying BaseCamp this is (probably) the page where you discovered the bad news.
    http://support.garmin.com/support/s...caseId={b78f1b60-29a7-11de-76c5-000000000000}

17. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

I only yesterday figured out that there was an option to install maps to device and computer. ..
    Doh

• Like Like x 1
  18. scotjimland

yes, it's not obvious how to do it.. as you have found out

the instructions are here http://support.garmin.com/support/s...70-ced3-11e2-4085-000000000000}&kbName=garmin

In Garmin Express and with your sat nav connected, click map update.. (even if you are up to date) .. you get this screen with the option to 'Install Map to Computer'
    Capture.PNG

• Like Like x 1
  19. Gellyneck

From memory, when a new map is released you get the options to -
    • Install to device
    • Install to computer
    • Install to both
    Once it's been installed the Options are changed to the screenshot Jim shows above.
    You should also note the installation of a new map to a computer does not remove \ delete any older versions. This means you can start to use up a lot of hard disc space over a period of time.
    You can check which versions of maps are currently on your computer by -
    • Open BaseCamp
    • Maps in the top toolbar and the drop down box will show which map versions are installed on your computer. It will show versions you have downloaded (and still installed) and "Global Map" which is installed with the original installation of BaseCamp.
    • As far as I know the only way to remove older versions is to delete the associated sub-folder from the folder you installed to. The default installation folder is as shown in Jim's screenshot. Make sure you select the latest version in BaseCamp before doing so.
    • The path to the map files will most likely be (assuming you did a default installation of BaseCamp) -
      • C:\Program Data\Garmin\Maps\
        • City Navigator Europe NTU 2015.40.gmap
        • City Navigator Europe NTU 2016.10.gmap
        • City Navigator Europe NTU 2016.20.gmap
        • or something like that depending what versions have been, and are, still installed
        • being a "chicken" I have created a folder C:\Program Data\Garmin Maps (Old) and I cut the old version out of the above and paste it into here. It gives you the option to paste it back to the original folder if BaseCamp didn't like it. If BaseCamp does like it you could then delete from Garmin Maps (Old) folder freeing up the space.
    Worth checking 'cause the map folders are around 4.5Gb each.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Gellyneck

Next "useful" tip.
    You can back-up the new database you created in post #15 by -
    • Open BaseCamp
    • File in the top toolbar
    • Backup from the drop down box
    • Browse to where you want to create the back-up file
    • Click save
    • Restore is the same but select Restore from the drop down box

• Like Like x 2